#1 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 June 2021 - 12:29 PM

I wasn't sure where to put this so I decided to start a new thread, it will consist of me occasionally talking to myself about Track and Field.   I know we have the olympics thread as well, but I wanted something separate.

Anyway the reason for the thread is the USA Track and Field Olympic trials started last night in Eugene.  Ryan Crouser just broke the 31 year old world record in the shot put.   For those that don't know the shot weighs 16 pounds and he threw it 76 feet and 8 and 1/4 inches!  That crused the old record by 10 inches!  I caught the event live last night and it was a heck of a throw!

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:02 PM

These trials are the first track events I've watched in a few years and I forgot how much I loved this sport. Humble brag, but I coached a few high school state champions in a previous life and have avoided the sport since that chapter closed. 

Pulling for Noah Lyles to make some noise!

@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 10:09 AM

USA Today: Sha'Carri Richardson dominates 100 meters in style to clinch trip to Tokyo Olympics

https://www.usatoday...100/7757848002/

#4 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 June 2021 - 11:32 AM

Richardson has some wheels, she needs to improve her start though.

#5 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 June 2021 - 09:48 PM

Allyson Felix finished 3rd in the 400 final and makes another Olympic Team. She's 35 now and a mom but still has the speed for the 400 that is impressive!
  • glenn__davis likes this

#6 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 02:37 PM

I don't remember ever seeing this video, but apparently at the 2019 Super Bowl Usain Bolt ran the timed 40-yard dash set up for fans.

A few things to note:

• It was in 2019, so he was 32 and already retired from sprinting
  • He was wearing sweatpants and sneakers
  • He had to slow down at the end to avoid running through the wall
  • He ran a 4.22, tied for the fastest time ever.

Usain Bolt ties John Ross's NFL combine record for 40-Yard dash - Sports Illustrated

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 06:12 AM

USA Today: Sha'Carri Richardson dominates 100 meters in style to clinch trip to Tokyo Olympics
https://www.usatoday...100/7757848002/

https://www.forbes.c...-miss-olympics/

DQ

#8 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 July 2021 - 09:13 AM

I just saw this. This is lame, should she have done it no, but to have to miss the Olympics because of weed is just absurd.

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 09:38 AM

I just saw this. This is lame, should she have done it no, but to have to miss the Olympics because of weed is just absurd.

Whats lame is knowing the rules and still not having the dicipline to abstain while in competition. Its not like shes never allowed to smoke.

#10 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 July 2021 - 09:45 AM

Awful rule.

#11 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 July 2021 - 09:45 AM

Whats lame is knowing the rules and still not having the dicipline to abstain while in competition. Its not like shes never allowed to smoke.

She had just found out her mom had died and was using that to deal with the emotional toll, weed has no benefit to a runner so it stinks that she has to miss the out on the Olympics because of it.
  • mweb08 likes this

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 09:49 AM

Stupid rule. But it's a rule and these are the consequences.

Absolutely should be abolished though. No room for reasonable disagreement on that, IMO.

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:00 AM

She had just found out her mom had died and was using that to deal with the emotional toll, weed has no benefit to a runner so it stinks that she has to miss the out on the Olympics because of it.

Right.

This is the consequence that was established, but it flies in the face of fairness, justice, and common sense. I would rather be on the right side of those things than the letter of the law or rule.

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:24 AM

Its been ruled a PED for whatever reason. It is what it is and they all know it. Surely huge number of Olympic athletes use but they have the dicipline to not blow it during in season competition. Especially during an Olympic year. I mean she is likely only going to get a 30 day ban and could run the 4×100 relay.

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:27 AM

Yeah well WADA rules it a PED during competition. Im sure they do it for a reason. How valid that ruling is I doubt none of us are qualified to answer.

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:42 AM

https://www.popsci.c...ubstances-list/

This article is nearly a decade old, but the rationale for making marijuana a banned substance is incredibly eye-roll inducing.  Doubling down on my comment that there is no room for reasonable disagreement on whether this should be a banned substance.  There is a clearly correct opinion here, IMO.

• You Play to Win the Game and DuffMan like this

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 06:19 PM

Btw, for anyone in the you must always obey the rules/laws crowd even if unjust and/or dumb, you might want to consider what you're celebrating today and how we got there.

Not to compare what's happening here to that, but I'm simply pointing out that it doesn't take much historical analysis to find a bunch of examples where one likely deviates from that philosophy.
  • DuffMan likes this

#18 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 05 July 2021 - 11:26 AM

Reefer madness.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#19 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 05 July 2021 - 11:28 AM

The silver lining from this is that it's pretty certain that they'll revisit this rule once the Olympics conclude.

What a dumb rule.

#20 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 July 2021 - 05:36 PM

Richardson left off the 4x100 team, equal parts surprising and disappointing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users