#281 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 04:35 PM

Maybe.

It frustrates me when people say 'its just a sprain'. A 'torn ACL' is a sprain that's severe enough that it won't heal on its own. Same with UCLs.

Its a pet peeve of mine and I know it. I blame Will Carroll. This, along with 'could care less', are two things I just can't let go.

Their is a difference between a sprain and a tear. A grade 1 or 2 ACL injury is a sprain, where the ligament has tearing, but remains intact, and has the ability to heal on its own with rehab. A grade 3 is where the ligament has partially, or completely torn and is no longer intact , and will require surgery for it to completely heal.

There is a difference between a sprain and a tear.

*source* the surgeon who diagnosed, and fixed my torn ACL.

#282 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 20 October 2021 - 05:42 PM

Their is a difference between a sprain and a tear. A grade 1 or 2 ACL injury is a sprain, where the ligament has tearing, but remains intact, and has the ability to heal on its own with rehab. A grade 3 is where the ligament has partially, or completely torn and is no longer intact , and will require surgery for it to completely heal.

There is a difference between a sprain and a tear.

*source* the surgeon who diagnosed, and fixed my torn ACL.

https://twitter.com/...8313943040?s=20

@fuzydunlop

#283 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:23 PM

https://twitter.com/...8313943040?s=20

Your source is a sports writer for bleacher report who is a self proclaimed "health expert". Mine is Dr Hinton out of Baltimore who I specifically asked the exact thing in question here, because I was under the same impression that an ACL tear was also a sprain, and he corrected me. He said a sprain are tears within the ligament, but it remains intact, and has the ability to heal on it's own. A "tear" is when the ligament is no longer intact. And he considered a sprain and a tear to be two completely separate type of injuries.

In the end it's probably semantics. 🤣

#284 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,305 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:49 PM

Your source is a sports writer for bleacher report who is a self proclaimed "health expert". Mine is Dr Hinton out of Baltimore who I specifically asked the exact thing in question here, because I was under the same impression that an ACL tear was also a sprain, and he corrected me. He said a sprain are tears within the ligament, but it remains intact, and has the ability to heal on it's own. A "tear" is when the ligament is no longer intact. And he considered a sprain and a tear to be two completely separate type of injuries.

Wait you finally got surgery on that thing? Why no return to the bball court?

#285 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 21 October 2021 - 12:00 AM

If you don’t know who Will Carroll is then I can’t help you boss.

@fuzydunlop

#286 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 21 October 2021 - 12:12 AM

For what it's worth, Will Carroll received an award from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons for some of his journalistic work. So he's not entirely self-proclaimed.

#287 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 04:10 PM

Calling a sprain a tear may be medically accurate technically, but functionally they are very different. That's what matters.
  • makoman likes this

#288 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 06:34 PM

Calling a sprain a tear may be medically accurate technically, but functionally they are very different. That's what matters.

I agree. I think almost everyone knows at this point that a sprain is a tear, because the pedants have made it their mission to let us know. But whenever anyone is using the vernacular they are using those terms for different things, with a sprain obviously being much milder (though still serious at times).

#289 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:40 PM

Brandon Knight is not going to report to the Ravens citing mental health reasons.

@mikeghg

#290 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:42 PM

What’s a pendants, Walter?

@fuzydunlop

#291 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,777 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 09:14 PM

Brandon Knight is not going to report to the Ravens citing mental health reasons.

Oh, ok. So is he going to retire?

#292 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:41 PM

I have no idea how this works. His statement said he "looks forward to returning next season". I don't know if the Ravens have his rights, how long he can stay on the did not report list. (Didn't know there was such a thing).

@BSLMikeRandall

#293 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:07 AM

What’s a pendants, Walter?

I dabbled in pedantism once.  Not in 'Nam, of course.

#294 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:33 AM

I have no idea how this works. His statement said he "looks forward to returning next season". I don't know if the Ravens have his rights, how long he can stay on the did not report list. (Didn't know there was such a thing).

If he wants to return to Dallas, let it be next season. The Ravens should keep him on the list. A few weeks of no pay might repair his health.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#295 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:49 AM

The Ravens put him on the inactive list.  I suspect Jerry Jones is behind this, in some way.

@mikeghg

#296 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:58 AM

If you don’t know who Will Carroll is then I can’t help you boss.

Maybe you're right. All I know is that Dr Hinton has won multiple awards for his work in the orthopedic field. He was the lead team physician for the Ravens, and at one point was the president of the Maryland Orthopedic Association. And was a sitting member on the NFL's health and injury prevention committee. No offense to Will Carroll, but I think I'll take the word of the guy who has spent his life committed and dedicated to orthopedic health, and actually fixed my ACL, over a guy who doesn't even have a doctorate in any health field.

#297 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:00 AM

Wait you finally got surgery on that thing? Why no return to the bball court?

Career is a little more important at the moment. Can't afford to miss another 12 weeks. 🤣

#298 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:06 AM

Maybe you're right. All I know is that Dr Hinton has won multiple awards for his work in the orthopedic field. He was the lead team physician for the Ravens, and at one point was the president of the Maryland Orthopedic Association. And was a sitting member on the NFL's health and injury prevention committee. No offense to Will Carroll, but I think I'll take the word of the guy who has spent his life committed and dedicated to orthopedic health, and actually fixed my ACL, over a guy who doesn't even have a doctorate in any health field.

The two sources don't disagree.  They're saying the same thing.  Sprains are small tears.  Tears are full tears.  Both involve tearing to the ligament.

It's like a flat tire versus a blowout.  Both are due to a failure of the tire.  One is much more severe and we use different terms to describe the different severity of the underlying affliction.

#299 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:30 AM

The two sources don't disagree. They're saying the same thing. Sprains are small tears. Tears are full tears. Both involve tearing to the ligament.

It's like a flat tire versus a blowout. Both are due to a failure of the tire. One is much more severe and we use different terms to describe the different severity of the underlying affliction.

I mean...sure. Sore muscles after working out are also torn. Every player technically tears most of their muscles every week. Calling a sprain a tear still feels kind of like someone trying too hard to be smart. When you have to say "well technically..." before you make your point, it probably wasn't worth making.

#300 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 22 October 2021 - 12:51 PM

Just yesterday Jeremy Fowler tweeted this:
Source says Von Miller’s X-Ray came back ‘clean,’ not returning to the game out of caution. So, appears no structural damage for Miller.

That’s a high ankle sprain, which is structural damage! My entire point is, for hardcore fans like us, you need to know the difference. Big J journalists will get it wrong all the time.

@fuzydunlop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=