#261 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 12 October 2021 - 04:25 PM

Cleveland to IR and Watkins with a hamstring issue. Tyree Phillips may get some time rotating with Powers, and Bateman may get more reps than anticipated on Sunday. So not disastrous I think.

#262 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 04:40 PM

Cleveland tweeted that it was "Positive news" from the doctors. Looks to return soon. 3 weeks minimum. 

Practice squad tackle, UDFA, Adrian Ealy, suspended six games for violating PED policy. 

• russsnyder likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#263 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 04:59 PM

Cleveland tweeted that it was "Positive news" from the doctors. Looks to return soon. 3 weeks minimum.

Practice squad tackle, UDFA, Adrian Ealy, suspended six games for violating PED policy.

Rough day for the O line.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#264 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 06:13 PM

Cleveland's injury didn't look that bad when it happened. Guessing just a sprain. Is it too late to hope that for Dobbins ?

#265 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 06:31 PM

Is it too late to hope that for Dobbins ?

Way too late. Anyone on IR before the season starts cannot return.

#266 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 12 October 2021 - 06:34 PM

Cleveland's injury didn't look that bad when it happened. Guessing just a sprain. Is it too late to hope that for Dobbins ?

A sprain is a tear.

@fuzydunlop

#267 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 06:37 PM

A sprain is a tear.

A square is a rhombus.

• Biggsy likes this

#268 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 07:40 PM

A sprain is a tear.

Very good.

#269 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 October 2021 - 07:57 PM

The active roster currently sits at 49, so they can easily activate Bateman and Phillips for this week.

@mikeghg

#270 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 07:19 AM

I have a crazy idea for the running game. Obviously our RB room lacks playmaking ability right now. With Boykin and Bateman working their way back, I wonder if Roman has had any thoughts of temporarily moving Duvernay to RB?

That may be an in-house option that could be a game changer. Duvernay is compact, and has always been good after getting the ball in his hands. I personally would love to see Duvernay on some of these read options instead of Murray. Treat Duvernay as our version of Patterson. With Brown playing like a #1. Watkins being serviceable. The emergence of Proche as a legitimate WR. And Boykin and Bateman getting healthy, Duvernay is going to be hard pressed to get on the field as a WR. I think it's worth the experiment.

#271 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 October 2021 - 07:42 AM

I have a crazy idea for the running game. Obviously our RB room lacks playmaking ability right now. With Boykin and Bateman working their way back, I wonder if Roman has had any thoughts of temporarily moving Duvernay to RB?

That may be an in-house option that could be a game changer. Duvernay is compact, and has always been good after getting the ball in his hands. I personally would love to see Duvernay on some of these read options instead of Murray. Treat Duvernay as our version of Patterson. With Brown playing like a #1. Watkins being serviceable. The emergence of Proche as a legitimate WR. And Boykin and Bateman getting healthy, Duvernay is going to be hard pressed to get on the field as a WR. I think it's worth the experiment.

I brought this up early in the year.  I do not think Ddd can carry 20 carries a game, but as a third down guy, he could create some real matchup issues,

That said, until the defenses come out of the stacked box looks they are giving the Ravens, throwing the ball is the way to go.

One other thing, I think DD is emerging and I expect his targets to increase even with Bateman and Boykin healthy,  The Ravens have receivers, and it is a getting them the ball is a great problem to have.

@mikeghg

#272 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 October 2021 - 07:43 AM

The Oline may get some help this week with the return of Tyre Phillips.

@mikeghg

#273 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 07:57 AM

DD as RB is an interesting thought but seems like the kind of thing that's better done during a full training camp. Our run game is probably the most complicated in the league and getting all the mesh stuff right is really important and probably not easy for a guy who I doubt has ever taken a straight up RB hand off in a game (I'm assuming his 15 runs between last year and college were all reverse or jet sweep types). And while he's really fast, vision to hit the right running lanes and cutbacks are something big we've been missing and who knows if he has that. I don't know, I'm just skeptical cause it's such a Tecmo Super Bowl move, but I wouldn't mind if they tried it out.

Either way I definitely agree that they should try to keep him involved because he has his explosive moments with the ball. There should still be opportunities as someone is always banged up (as Bateman comes back Watkins goes out...and I definitely don't think Boykin needs to be ahead of anyone on the depth chart yet).

• JStruds likes this

#274 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 08:20 AM

I brought this up early in the year. I do not think Ddd can carry 20 carries a game, but as a third down guy, he could create some real matchup issues,
That said, until the defenses come out of the stacked box looks they are giving the Ravens, throwing the ball Sid the way to go.
One other thing, I think DD is emerging and I expect his targets to increase even with Bateman and Boykin healthy, The Ravens have receivers, and it is a getting them the ball is a great problem to have.

I dont think he can be a featured back. But if you're going to refuse to use Williams, Duvernay gives you a big play option on the various read option plays Roman loves to use. With Dobbins and Edwards, teams had to respect their ability. Which opened up huge lanes for Lamar. With no treat behind Lamar, teams are just keying on him. Duvernay could give then a legitimate big play threat that teams would have to respect.

Maybe it's something they've already tried behind closed doors, and it just wasn't plausible. Who knows. With our current cap situation, if they want any drastic change in the running game, it's going to take some outside the box type of thinking to get a spark.

#275 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 08:37 AM

I admit I haven't thought about Duvernay as a running back but it's an interesting idea if for no other reason than his speed creates the threat of something big happening.  Williams has a burst but certainly not the sustained speed of Duvernay.  The other three plod along and have virtually no chance of taking one to the house.  It would at least give defenses something to think and worry about.  Realistically, I can't see Roman or Harbaugh pursuing it.  I think they'd rather see what he can do as a receiver going forward. 

#276 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 15 October 2021 - 05:55 PM

The main downside is that I'm not sure I'd trust Duvernay in blitz pickup with little experience in thr backfield.

#277 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:54 AM

DB8ANSt.png

A lot of movement going on this week. I'll add a further update to the game thread closer to gameday, some of the injury designations may change.

Offense

Stanley goes to IR, season ending ankle surgery.

Nick Boyle returned to practice, so he has 21 days (11/10) to be added to the 53-man roster. 

In the LAC game, Latavius Murray and Bradley Bozeman left the game with ankle and back injuries respectively. Bozeman tried to return but ultimately left the game for good. Murray did not return. 

Le'Veon Bell was promoted to the 53 and center, Adam Redmond, was added to the practice squad. Both moves suggest Murray and Bozeman could miss time. Bell was out of call ups. Redmond could be called up to backup Colon. More on the injury news as the week progresses though.

Brandon Knight was claimed off waivers, but hasn't reported to the team yet. Still not sure where he lands when/if he does. 

Added veteran guard, James Carpenter, to the PS. As I count there are 17 guys on the 16-man PS, but last week Adrian Ealy was SSPD for six games for violating PED policies. Wonder if that SSPD designation makes him not count against the roster? He still practices, so I can't think thats the case. But no word on what the corresponding move will be to get back down to 16, if necessary. 

Defense

I doubt De'Shon Elliott carries the questionable tag again this week. Nothing questionable about his play in the LAC game. 

Patrick Queen left that game with an injury but did return and finished the game. 

Josh Bynes unseated Harrison, not Queen in the starting lineup.

ILB, Joe Thomas was added to the practice squad. Corresponding move, OLB Chris Smith released. 

Four protected PS guys

Carpenter (G)

Sharpe (T)

Thomas (ILB)

McKenzie (DT)

@BSLMikeRandall

#278 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 02:36 PM

A square is a rhombus.

There is no better reply than this.

#279 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 20 October 2021 - 02:46 PM

There is no better reply than this.

Maybe. 

It frustrates me when people say 'its just a sprain'.  A 'torn ACL' is a sprain that's severe enough that it won't heal on its own.  Same with UCLs.

Its a pet peeve of mine and I know it.  I blame Will Carroll.  This, along with 'could care less', are two things I just can't let go.  

• JStruds likes this

@fuzydunlop

#280 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 02:46 PM

Ealy doesn't count while suspended, so I heard someone say yesterday, though I can't remember where I heard it.

Harbaugh said Knight didn't report for personal reasons. Had nothing else to say about it. That's weird. 

Seems like some of these random lineman are going to be activated and we'll have to just hold our breath that they aren't needed.

• Mike in STL likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=