89 replies to this topic

#41 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 09:44 AM

Yet so far, not as bad as 2008, when they ran 5 bodies out there that were disaster waiting to happen.

SS is probably their second most stable defensive position this year, behind only CF.

• Old Man likes this

#42 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 June 2021 - 09:48 AM

SS is probably their second most stable defensive position this year, behind only CF.

I think we will be trading Galvis for a lotto ticket deal in July, but I don't think Mountcastle plays 1 inning at SS.

Ramon Urias, come on down.

@mikeghg

#43 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:29 AM

I think we will be trading Galvis for a lotto ticket deal in July, but I don't think Mountcastle plays 1 inning at SS.

Ramon Urias, come on down.

Agree, but am curious to see how the 2nd base works out for Ryan.

#44 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:52 AM

Please retract the "Mountcastle at SS" part, Mike. It makes it really hard to focus on any of the other thoughts and ideas you're discussing :)

Mountcastle auditioning as a 2B is an idea worth considering, though I think likely that ship has sailed. There is likely a reason they (including multiple coordinators) never moved him there in the minors. But playing at SS is a Sam Darnold idea. Might as well let him try pitching!

Pffft.

I guess he isn’t a SS. 2B they haven’t tried. I saw him play a few games at 3rd at Bowie. He was throwing rainbows over to first. His glove seemed fine. He doesn’t have the arm for 3B or I suppose SS at this level.

2B, it’s not that long a throw.

Might as well let him try pitching we only have like 2 on the roster :)

Regardless, if we are in a situation where they can’t get Mancini, Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins, Santander, and Stewart in the same lineup because of position flexibility issues, Mancini is not the odd man out, or the one you ship out of town.
@BSLMikeRandall

#45 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 June 2021 - 11:31 AM

Agree, but am curious to see how the 2nd base works out for Ryan.

I don't think we will ever see.

@mikeghg

#46 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 June 2021 - 11:34 AM

Pffft.

I guess he isn’t a SS. 2B they haven’t tried. I saw him play a few games at 3rd at Bowie. He was throwing rainbows over to first. His glove seemed fine. He doesn’t have the arm for 3B or I suppose SS at this level.

Regardless, if we are in a situation where they can’t get Mancini, Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins, Santander, and Stewart in the same lineup because of position flexibility issues, Mancini is not the odd man out, or the one you ship out of town.

If they ship Trey down the road the reason will either be a deal they can not refuse or the much more likely scenario, $$$$.

@mikeghg

#47 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 11:41 AM

If they ship Trey down the road the reason will either be a deal they can not refuse or the much more likely scenario, $$$$.

If they ship him out, just to get something in return, and not a fair return.

Tells me if this team is really serious about rebuilding or just playing lipservice.

I dont expect them to open the piggy banks and spend stupid money. But, if the money is right,  Then yes,

Many of the others you lists, are questionable about getting a full year of service out of them because of health.

I think Trey has shown an ability to play a full season.

#48 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 11:47 AM

For Mountcastle, I think a lot of the problem was his arm, as people often talked about him having poor arm strength. I think the fielding itself was also not that great either, though I can't claim to know for sure, just trying to remember reports.

If the arm was the only problem, I can't imagine why they would have moved him to third rather than second if they thought he could handle the fielding part. At some point you have to trust that the minors development people did their job (I know, this isn't easy with this org!) and 2B just wasn't going to work. I'd have been in favor of trying this in like spring 2019, but at this point I'd rather he work on trying to make it so he doesn't kill us at LF or 1B, wherever they see him playing the next few years. 

I'm not all that worried about a corner OF logjam either, as I have no faith in Stewart, Hays and Diaz might be lucky to combine for 162 games and Hays can get time at CF too, and I expect Santander to be traded at some point. Kjerstad is totally an unknown. Too many good OFs would be a problem I'm happy to have.

Back to this thread, I would guess 1B is Mountcastle's if Mancini is traded. I still think he will not be unless the team is overwhelmed

#49 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 11:55 AM

Pffft.

I doubt that Mountcastle was impressive as an infielder during his stint in the minors. While he's obviously an athletic guy, he looks stiff in comparison to the other Orioles infielders to me.

Further, his lack of arm strength might come into play during shifts against righthanded batters. Sometimes the second baseman will play on the shortstop's side ff the bag.

Lastly, I prefer Mountcastle and Mancini to share first and DH if Mancini is extended. If they really wanted to convert Mountcastle to Second, they should have him work on it during the off season. I'd rather hom concentrate on mashing right now than playing a new position at the major league level.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#50 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:11 PM

I doubt that Mountcastle was impressive as an infielder during his stint in the minors. While he's obviously an athletic guy, he looks stiff in comparison to the other Orioles infielders to me.

Further, his lack of arm strength might come into play during shifts against righthanded batters. Sometimes the second baseman will play on the shortstop's side ff the bag.

Lastly, I prefer Mountcastle and Mancini to share first and DH if Mancini is extended. If they really wanted to convert Mountcastle to Second, they should have him work on it during the off season. I'd rather hom concentrate on mashing right now than playing a new position at the major league level.

100% agree.    FWIW, I think Ryan can become a good first baseman and share the first base/ DH spots, with Trey.  I don't think he would become a good second baseman, even if they tried.

@mikeghg

#51 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:15 PM

I think we should trade Mancini for deGrom and the Polar Bear, or maybe do something less likely to happen, like Mountcaslte playing middle infield.

#52 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:59 AM

Mountcastle isn't a major league glove all around. Certainly​ not a "plus" player in that regard, at the very least. Mediocre ball security and range (at best) and a bad arm. Not a lot you can do with that.

#53 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 27 June 2021 - 10:57 PM

Indians: If I had to pick a team today, the Indians would be it.  They have some good young pitching but need offensive help.  They are currently 28th in MLB OPS at 1B at .546. Indians aren't breaking the bank for player cost and Mancini is certainly reasonable this year and next. 

The Indians could use an outfielder too.  They have 3 guys OPSing in the .600s plus Luplow has been pretty good, but they've struggled in the OF in recent years and haven't really produced a good everyday, reliable OF. Santander has 3 years of service left through arbitration so good cost-service control for a team like the Indians (good for anyone, required for them)

A Mancini-Santander package would be significant offensively and defensively for them.

I'd try and head one of 2 ways with the package depending on what the Indians preferred.

Nolan Jones - Bobby Bradley

Indians are now 30th in MLB 1B OPS at .558

Luplow is on the 60-day DL.  Josh Naylor suffered a gruesome injury today in a collision, coming in hard, with the second baseman.  I can't find a National report but it looked like he broke his leg.  My dad is in Ohio and that's what they are reporting.  Josh Naylor will be out for the season.  They've still got their best hitter, The Franimal, on the DL.  Their top 3 starters are all on the DL.

Bobby Bradley was hot early but has seen his OPS drop from 1.600 in a hot first week to .880 and it will likely continue down.

It's amazing that the Indians are hanging in there they way they are...but they are still several games outside of the second WC and can't slip back.  They need to get their starters back and they need to make a move for some offense.

#54 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 11:54 PM

Indians are now 30th in MLB 1B OPS at .558

Luplow is on the 60-day DL.  Josh Naylor suffered a gruesome injury today in a collision, coming in hard, with the second baseman.  I can't find a National report but it looked like he broke his leg.  My dad is in Ohio and that's what they are reporting.  Josh Naylor will be out for the season.  They've still got their best hitter, The Franimal, on the DL.  Their top 3 starters are all on the DL.

Bobby Bradley was hot early but has seen his OPS drop from 1.600 in a hot first week to .880 and it will likely continue down.

It's amazing that the Indians are hanging in there they way they are...but they are still several games outside of the second WC and can't slip back.  They need to get their starters back and they need to make a move for some offense.

You mean his OPS normalized as the sample got larger? You don't say. :)

• BaltBird 24 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#55 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 28 June 2021 - 12:00 AM

You know I was going to reconsider my position on trading Mancini, but every week the Orioles dive deeper into the pit of suck, and it validates my original opinion that he is really unlikely to provide value to the next Orioles team that has a winning record, much less the next Orioles team that reaches the playoffs.

#56 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 05:15 AM

You know I was going to reconsider my position on trading Mancini, but every week the Orioles dive deeper into the pit of suck, and it validates my original opinion that he is really unlikely to provide value to the next Orioles team that has a winning record, much less the next Orioles team that reaches the playoffs.

Do you really think Mancini is going to give you that type of haul to vastly improve this team?

#57 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 01:10 PM

Do you really think Mancini is going to give you that type of haul to vastly improve this team?

That’s my thing. He’s actually the exact kind of person the Orioles need to hang onto.

He’s not so good that you are getting 5 guys in return and hope of the haul that 1 is special, 2 play a significant role, and the other 2 are gambles. Or else maybe, maybe I would entertain the idea.

He’s also not so good that the price tag is ridiculous. 10/$300M+

He’s a solid major league bat with All-Star potential that would play in the middle of any lineup at an affordable price. Position versatility is a plus as well.
  • bmore_ken likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#58 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 01:34 PM

He may be retired before the next Orioles team has a winning record.

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,825 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 01:42 PM

I think that Trey @ $16M from 2023-2026 is more likely to help the Orioles win than the prospects we'd get back (and the salary we'd save but I'll get into why that's a nonfactor).  Plus it's Trey, he's an awesome guy who just went through cancer and has bounced back to continue being the same awesome guy.  Positive vibes has value, IMO.  I'm absolutely comfortable paying $16M for him even if he's only "worth" $8M.  No concerns at all there.  Especially in the Orioles case where there is absolutely zero chance that the "surplus" money we would be paying Trey prevents the team from doing something.  I outright reject that possibility as a consideration.  It's merely a conversation of having Trey or not having Trey.  Because anything you can do in the "without Trey" model you can also do in the "with Trey" model.  If you want to discuss an abstract where that money has alternate value, that's fine and fair, but I don't think it's realistic to the Orioles.  

• You Play to Win the Game, Mike in STL, BSLSteveBirrer and 2 others like this

#60 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 10:54 AM

Connolly interviews former GM's on the possibility of trading Mancini:

Should the Orioles trade Trey Mancini? A panel of former GMs discuss what they'd do – The Athletic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=