Photo

O's 2021 Record Prediction

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

Poll: Win Prediction (12 member(s) have cast votes)

How many games will the Orioles win?

1. 50-59 (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. 60-69 (6 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. 70-79 (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. 80-89 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 09:48 AM

When a team loses, 110-115 games, they are historically bad.  Someone usually is the scapegoat.  I think the obvious choice is Hyde.  Does he survive this mess, and does he want to?

I've said I'd like to see him manage better talent, and I don't hold him responsible for anything.... but I think at this point moving on should probably happen.

#102 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 09:48 AM

That is kind of how I feel, which would mean they would be finishing the year around 10 and 53.  That seems impossible, but this team as it is constituted is just totally over matched.  I think the other teams in the division, who are all in playoff contention, look at the Orioles as an easy mark and they realize they can not lose these games.  We have 43 games left. and I think we win 8-10, so I will go with 48.

You mean 10-32, which is very much in the realm of possibility and more likely than not.

This organization has fielded probably 3 of the worst dozen or so teams of the last 40 years.

I mean, if you're going to tank, tank. Right?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#103 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 August 2021 - 09:57 AM

You mean 10-32, which is very much in the realm of possibility and more likely than not.

This organization has fielded probably 3 of the worst dozen or so teams of the last 40 years.

I mean, if you're going to tank, tank. Right?

No, I was back dating things.  I think we have lost 17 of the last 19, at least that is what they said on the news this morning, and  if they finish 10-33, which seems a bit optimistic at this point, that would mean they went 12 and 50 over the last 62.  That is taking tanking to an art form.

Elijah Green welcome to Baltimore.

@mikeghg

#104 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 10:07 AM

Yeah, the embarrassing was my pick and thinking his pick was crazy....   I'm thinking donation to the charity of his choice. 

I've sent him an email, will see what he says.

I support any charitable donation, and would like to contribute, but I'd also like to see something more outwardly embarrassing than simply acknowledging you were wrong :)

• mweb08 likes this

#105 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 August 2021 - 11:15 AM

Well I said 70 so I smoked some crow on the pellet grill last night. Wasn't too bad if I alternated a bite of crow, followed by a sip of whiskey and a bite of ribs.  :mrgreen:

#106 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 August 2021 - 11:23 AM

Keith Law predicted 58-104, in case anybody cares.

The Orioles were right at the league median in run scoring and in OBP last year, but I don’t see that recurring with the moves they’ve made (Maikel Franco?) and imminent regression from Ryan Mountcastle, while their rotation is also likely to be a huge weakness, although at least this year it’ll include at least two prospects in Dean Kremer and Keegan Akin, either of whom could stick in that role and give the Orioles their first long-term starters since they dealt Dylan Bundy.

2021 MLB season predictions: Keith Law's win totals for every team, plus awards and early postseason picks – The Athletic

Clown take by Keith Law, am I right?

#107 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 11:25 AM

Clown take by Keith Law, am I right?

Law is a knowledgeable guy.

Sometimes I disagree with his takes, but I don't question his knowledge.

I dislike his trolling / snark nature though.
  • DuffMan likes this

#108 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 11:36 AM

Law is a knowledgeable guy.

Sometimes I disagree with his takes, but I don't question his knowledge.

I dislike his trolling / snark nature though.

I don't consistently read Law (I do check out his mostly non baseball blog from time to time and it's cool), but I have never gotten this impression of him being some big troll or jerk. I think a lot of the animus on here has a lot more to do with his general negativity toward the O's, which strikes me as akin to all the announcer x hates my team nonsense, especially since his views have been more right than wrong, and when they've been most notably wrong (the playoff years), he's been far from alone, including right here. Unfortunately we're fans of a franchise that has been mostly horrible the past two plus decades, and the truth hurts, but I am more in the view of don't kill the messenger.

#109 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 11:49 AM

I don't consistently read Law (I do check out his non baseball blog from time to time and it's cool), but I have never gotten this impression of him being some big troll or jerk. I think a lot of the animus on here has a lot more to do with his general negativity toward the O's, which strikes me as akin to all the announcer x hates my team nonsense, especially since his views have been more right than wrong, and when they've been most notably wrong (the playoff years), he's been far from alone, including right here. Unfortunately we're fans of a franchise that has been mostly horrible the past two plus decades, and the truth hurts, but I am more in the view of don't kill the messenger.

Nah, he's got snark for all teams and everyone.   It certainly isn't limited to the Orioles.   I don't have that critique of him. 

But he's the type of guy who goes out of his way to be the jerk.   

#110 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 11:50 AM

Hes extremely thin skinned. Is he knowledgeable. Sure, but of the few mainstreamish "scouts"that I follow I think hes one of the worst. He doubles and triples down a lot even when things start to look bad for one of his takes and he also tends to overrate unproven talent like international guys and recent draft picks

#111 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:02 PM

Nah, he's got snark for all teams and everyone.   It certainly isn't limited to the Orioles.   I don't have that critique of him. 

But he's the type of guy who goes out of his way to be the jerk.   

Like I said, I don't really agree with this as I haven't seen it. One would think this would be a good place for me to see all these examples of him being a jerk since there's so much complaining about him here, but it's generally people just saying he's a jerk or clueless or the like in reference to him saying something bad about a bad baseball team.

What he is imo is a geek. Some people don't like geeks. I could also see people of a certain political side of the spectrum thinking he's a jerk so there's that.

#112 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:04 PM

How many wins would everybody trade to get to experience yesterday's game?

Orioles still win, but it's just a run-of-the-mill good start from Means.  But you get to add X wins to the Orioles overall record (and relational improvement to the general aesthetic feel of the entire season)?

I'd trade a lot.  I think the team is gonna be a 60ish win team and especially the latter part of the season is going to be an unbearable slog.  But I'll take that along with yesterday's game over a .500ish season and more consistently enjoyable baseball.  So like, 20 wins.  That's what yesterday was worth to me.  I've always liked the "flags fly forever" ideal, and yesterday's game from Means is an individual moment banner.  And to me, no-hitters and perfect games are way more memorable than cycles or 3-homer days.

I know we're well past this but I want to revisit this question, now that the bottom has dropped out.

If the Orioles were within shouting distance of .500 right now, but Means threw a complete game one-hitter, would you take that trade?

#113 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:10 PM

I know we're well past this but I want to revisit this question, now that the bottom has dropped out.

If the Orioles were within shouting distance of .500 right now, but Means threw a complete game one-hitter, would you take that trade?

Does being close to .500 have an impact on our future? It probably would have a positive impact on how I view our future, so in that case, I'd take the much better record. 

However, from a fan perspective that is limited to strictly this season (no impact on the future), I think I'd rather have the no hitter, especially since I actually watched it. It's also helpful that I mostly checked out on this season a while back besides going to some games, so my time and emotional investment into this awful team is rather minimal.

#114 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:11 PM

I said just run-of-the-mill good start, not quite a 1-hit shutout.  But either way, I'll stick with the no hitter!  That was awesome.  It'd be a lot better overall for the season to have been less abysmal and be near .500, but not sure it'd good enough to want that at the cost of not getting Means' no-hitter for me.  Also expect this opinion to strengthen with time.  It's easier to move past and forget bad play once it's further into the past, but the memory of the no hitter remains.

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

#115 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:15 PM

Mike's point about how we got to .500 is a good one, if we're 20 games better because Akin, Kremer, Baumann, Hays, and Diaz all look like 4 wins better, that's a lot more meaningful long term than if we're 20 games better because 10 guys we know aren't gonna be here beyond the next couple years were 2 wins better.

#116 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:20 PM

Mike's point about how we got to .500 is a good one, if we're 20 games better because Akin, Kremer, Baumann, Hays, and Diaz all look like 4 wins better, that's a lot more meaningful long term than if we're 20 games better because 10 guys we know aren't gonna be here beyond the next couple years were 2 wins better.

Exactly. This is also why I think this MLB season has reduced my optimism about the future. 

#117 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:25 PM

Some of these names we're still daydreaming about being legit "plus" pieces on a competitive Orioles MAJOR LEAGUE active roster are already 25 / 26 years old. If it takes another year or two to click (and they're all big ifs) then they're pushing or at 27 / 28 years old. Not a ton of long term difference makers hit at that age. I feel like we've lost sight of what sort of actual "prospects" are, and when they lose big upside and become "max just a decent player, maybe" candidates.

Guys like Rutschman, Hall, Rodriguez had BETTER be up here soon and showing that they not only belong, but they stand out real quick. Or they'll be the next batch of these names...

#118 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:28 PM

No, I was back dating things. I think we have lost 17 of the last 19, at least that is what they said on the news this morning, and if they finish 10-33, which seems a bit optimistic at this point, that would mean they went 12 and 50 over the last 62. That is taking tanking to an art form.
Elijah Green welcome to Baltimore.

Ah. Got it. This is a historically awful team so nothing is impossible.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#119 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:46 PM

When a team loses, 110-115 games, they are historically bad.  Someone usually is the scapegoat.  I think the obvious choice is Hyde.  Does he survive this mess, and does he want to?

It's definitely not his fault but I figure Buck Britton would be interesting, I'd assume he built good relationships with Adley/Grayson/Hall that would be valuable going forward 

#120 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:49 PM

I said just run-of-the-mill good start, not quite a 1-hit shutout.  But either way, I'll stick with the no hitter!  That was awesome.  It'd be a lot better overall for the season to have been less abysmal and be near .500, but not sure it'd good enough to want that at the cost of not getting Means' no-hitter for me.  Also expect this opinion to strengthen with time.  It's easier to move past and forget bad play once it's further into the past, but the memory of the no hitter remains.

Yeah you can tell your grandchildren you saw a no-hitter from an 11th round pick who was so close to giving up on baseball he made a Linkedin, you can't tell your grandchildren you saw a 78-84 team lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=