Photo

O's 2021 Record Prediction

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

Poll: Win Prediction (12 member(s) have cast votes)

How many games will the Orioles win?

1. 50-59 (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. 60-69 (6 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. 70-79 (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. 80-89 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:54 PM

All day every day the no hitter. Still blows it wasnt perfect because of Severino. Not like I watch anyway nor would I if we were 5 games under right now.

#122 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 01:01 PM

When a team loses, 110-115 games, they are historically bad.  Someone usually is the scapegoat.  I think the obvious choice is Hyde.  Does he survive this mess, and does he want to?

I know the paycheck is nice and I'm sure it's more money than he's ever made in baseball but man, you've got to be some kind of special masochist to endure 162 games of managing this team.  Unlike us, who can just turn the radio or TV off, Hyde has to stay in the dugout and watch every bloody pitch.  And holy jumping shit, there's A LOT of pitches to watch.  It's unfortunate he couldn't have had better talent but he knew what he was getting himself into.  

#123 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,606 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 01:25 PM

Gonna get crazy here and say they win 5 more games. The schedule from here on out is absolutely brutal.

So 43-119 is my vote.

Lock it in.

Can't wait for Fan Fest.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#124 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 August 2021 - 01:48 PM

I know the paycheck is nice and I'm sure it's more money than he's ever made in baseball but man, you've got to be some kind of special masochist to endure 162 games of managing this team.  Unlike us, who can just turn the radio or TV off, Hyde has to stay in the dugout and watch every bloody pitch.  And holy jumping shit, there's A LOT of pitches to watch.  It's unfortunate he couldn't have had better talent but he knew what he was getting himself into.  

Seriously, he looks like a beaten man.  He has a habit of putting his head on his arms when he leans against the rail, and the look on his face is one of exasperation.  The sad part, is teams will look at his won-loss record and remember the embarrassment his team was and probably not even consider him as a manager.

The fault for this mess, rests on the levels above him, but if there is a scapegoat it will be Hyde.

Even the pitching coach seems to be golden.   

@mikeghg

#125 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 02:36 PM

Can't believe I voted 60 to 69 and I'm wayyyyy off

#126 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 02:45 PM

Real question here is why was 90-99 not an option???

#127 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 04:12 PM

Seriously, he looks like a beaten man.  He has a habit of putting his head on his arms when he leans against the rail, and the look on his face is one of exasperation.  The sad part, is teams will look at his won-loss record and remember the embarrassment his team was and probably not even consider him as a manager.

The fault for this mess, rests on the levels above him, but if there is a scapegoat it will be Hyde.

Even the pitching coach seems to be golden.   

Yeah, that pitching coach sure is golden.  He must be proud overseeing maybe the worst pitching staff in decades.  Or at least it seems that way.  Not that I'm closely monitoring any statistics.  

#128 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 09:29 PM

Honestly, seasons like this need to put our proposed timeline in perspective.

We are not a contender in 23. We'll be lucky to be .500 in 23.

This team is an abomination, and what's in the minors isn't getting them to the playoffs by themselves. It is becoming rapidly more difficult to care.

#129 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 06:13 AM

We are not a contender in 23. We'll be lucky to be .500 in 23.

This team is an abomination, and what's in the minors isn't getting them to the playoffs by themselves. It is becoming rapidly more difficult to care.

They can absolutely be a contender in 23 if they want.

They were never going to be built solely internally.

#130 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 20 August 2021 - 07:46 AM

This season doesn't matter next year in any direction. 

Our perspective shouldn't be any different if they were winning 75 Games this year.

Next years record will be determined by the roster (Talent) and how they play (Leadership, Attitude, Chemistry).

My biggest concern would be that we don't really understand the Leadership components of the Organization (that's more than just the Manager, that's above him and below him too) and that impacts all aspects of getting the best performance out of the group.

This season has kind of a 2018 feel where things were dissolving organizationally at a number of levels. 

#131 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,606 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 08:26 AM

It feels like we have some very good prospects on the doorstep but it feels separate from any other kind of cohesive plan that inspires confidence.

They still aren't being aggressive in the international market. They still don't seem to have the coaching in place to get the best out of players. The failures of Akin and Kremer have illustrated this.

We've been awful for 5 years, we BETTER have some quality prospects after that kind of ineptitude. But beyond that, what proof is there that we're doing anything the right way?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#132 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 August 2021 - 08:40 AM

Any of these guys in Triple A that have a pulse get them up  here and give them a shot.  I've had enough of some of these guys.  DJ Stewart, it's not happening for him get someone else in there and give them a chance.  

#133 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 09:21 AM

They still aren't being aggressive in the international market.

They still don't seem to have the coaching in place to get the best out of players. The failures of Akin and Kremer have illustrated this.

They're doing a lot more internationally then they have ever.... but takes time to go from zero infrastructure / relationships to competing for the higher end players. They're getting closer and the facility they are building in the DR is going to be an immense help.

Re: Coaching...   they absolutely have to get some level of production out of the  Akin / Kremer / Lowther / Baumann / Wells / Zimmermann / Bradish / Smith / Rom / Knight group.   It would definitely be a failure of coaching / development if each of them flame and provide you nothing.

#134 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,894 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 09:43 AM

They're doing a lot more internationally then they have ever.... but takes time to go from zero infrastructure / relationships to competing for the higher end players. They're getting closer and the facility they are building in the DR is going to be an immense help.

I agree this is true. But wasn't it also equally true during the MacPhail era?
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#135 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 09:49 AM

I agree this is true. But wasn't it also equally true during the MacPhail era?

They did more in the MacPhail era than they had previously (and Duquette later did some things too).... but from what I understand, their presence in the Dominican particularly was basically non-existent compared to the standard operations of other organizations. 

My understanding is their International operations now look like other teams International operations. 

#136 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 09:56 AM

I'm looking at a 2011 interview with MacPhal from Melewski at MASN, and MacPhail says,"The only reasonble way a fan can try to judge the commitment of a particular organization to international scouting is in that dramatic signing bonus. We are not in that business. Doesn’t mean we are out of the business. We just don’t think that is an intelligent application of resources."

Ehh, no. 

Another way fans can judge your commitment as an organization is looking at the number of international prospects on your Top prospects lists the 3rd parties put together.  Consistently under the Peter Angelos ownership, you can look at prospect list after list, and the lack of International talent stands out.  Imagine the frustration of working in Player Development all those years, and effectively just ignoring all that talent. With others asking, "Why aren't you developing as many players as other organizations?"  Well, let's see... we're operating with 1 hand tied behind our back.

• bmore_ken likes this

#137 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 10:25 AM

Just going off memory, I feel like the Orioles were always somewhat involved internationally, but in more unusual areas like Aruba and Europe (and Curacao I guess—Schoop). Not places like the DR and Cuba that more consistently produce talent. Of course this is NOT to say that they spent significant money in those places.

A lot of people felt that Peter had some unspoken agreement about Cuba stemming from the exhibition games in the 90s, and that he was unwilling to play the buscone games in the DR. Again just going in memory, could be wrong.

#138 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,758 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 12:14 PM

Yeah, their plan of ignoring the DR, where there's a wealth of talent, instead sending our one international scout to Aruba netted us Sidney Ponson and Eugene Kingsale.

#139 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 August 2021 - 12:20 PM

Yeah, their plan of ignoring the DR, where there's a wealth of talent, instead sending our one international scout to Aruba netted us Sidney Ponson and Eugene Kingsale.

That's Sir Sidney Ponson to you 

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#140 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 August 2021 - 02:57 PM

It feels like we have some very good prospects on the doorstep but it feels separate from any other kind of cohesive plan that inspires confidence.

They still aren't being aggressive in the international market. They still don't seem to have the coaching in place to get the best out of players. The failures of Akin and Kremer have illustrated this.

We've been awful for 5 years, we BETTER have some quality prospects after that kind of ineptitude. But beyond that, what proof is there that we're doing anything the right way?

They absolutely are being aggressive in the international market. They started from zero and have already caught up with the rest of baseball and have targeted young latin players as extra pieces in trades to help bolster it quickly. There is more international talent in the FCL and DSL right now than there has been since I started following the team combined.

• DuffMan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=