379 replies to this topic

#61 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 08:07 AM

The ebbs and flows of college basketball are so wacky. Mostly because of the transfers. We know Wiggins is most likely gone but if he's back it's completely understandable why we'd be a preseason Top 15 team. Even if he doesnt return and assuming Ayala does, we likely start out in the Top 25.

#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 08:43 AM

Those blurbs are meaningless until we know who stays, who leaves, and who moves elsewhere.  That goes for all teams.  I only just read the three different writers each talking about Maryland, but just from that it seems like nobody is considering the guaranteed certainty that there will be massive turnover aside from just seniors graduating.  And this year is even more oddball than most because of the free transfer rules and because any senior who wants to can return for another season.

If everyone comes back, the Terps are loaded.  But that is a colossal if.

#63 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:02 AM

Assuming Morsell and Wiggins leave and Ayala stays, I think next year's team is much better on paper than last year's team was on paper but about the same as last year's team ended up being in reality.  This past team really overachieved, IMO, based almost entirely on the stifling defense that came out of playing incredibly well as a unit combined with Morsell being a hound who could really harass the opponents best guard or wing into having a tough night.

If next year's team can be nearly as good defensively, then I think it would be a top-20 type team.  If the defense falls back a bit to merely good, then I think we're just inside the bubble (this is my expectation).

#64 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:24 AM

This is where getting Fatts in here is huge. He replaces the stifling defense of Morsell. If Morsell does find his way back to CP, that is even better on that end. 

Realistically, I think Ayala returns and that is it. But you never know. Agree with your assessment above Mack, better team, but likely not one that finishes any better than this year's team. Unless Turgeon gets this team to overachieve too.

#65 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:28 AM

Without Wiggins and Morsell: 

1 Russell

2 Ayala

3 Hamilton

4 Scott

5 Wahab

Bench: Hart, Graham, Reese, Cornish, Smart, Dockery 

That can be a very good team, how high a ceiling imo would depend on Graham / Reese / Cornish and what you think of Scott. 

I'd also expect if you lose Wiggins and Morsell... maybe there is another addition with the 1000+ guys still in the transfer portal. 

If you have Wiggins back, you are a Top 10 ish team (probably going to be some super teams with all the transfers and extra years).

If you have Wiggins and Morsell back; you're just loaded talent wise, and then it's on Turgeon to make it work.

• Mike B likes this

#66 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:37 AM

I expect some guys to leave beyond Morsell and Wiggins but a base of Russell, Ayala, Scott, and Wahab is a good start. I do expect Turge to try bring in another transfer or two depending on how many leave.

#67 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:39 AM

Hoping Reese can make an impact as a freshman. Not sure what to make of Graham and Cornish.

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:39 AM

I expect some guys to leave beyond Morsell and Wiggins but a base of Russell, Ayala, Scott, and Wahab is a good start. I do expect Turge to try bring in another transfer or two depending on how many leave.

Certainly would be surprising if Smart, Dockery, and Revaz are all back. So gotta think Turgeon is already working on at-least 1 more transfer in.

#69 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 April 2021 - 10:44 AM

Certainly would be surprising if Smart, Dockery, and Revaz are all back. So gotta think Turgeon is already working on at-least 1 more transfer in.

Based on the minutes they played last year, it would seem likely that they all have to be thinking about entering the portal.  Maybe Dockery and Smart think based on the players leaving they will get a shot.  Revaz, I think got less than 10 minutes all year.  If a 6'10" scholarship player could not get time on this years team, it is hard to see him having much of a chance playing now that Wahab and Reese are entering the program.

@mikeghg

#70 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 April 2021 - 10:57 AM

I think depth will be pretty important, you can't have a situation where you've giving Reese Mona like six minutes a game and be taken seriously as a genuine contender 

she/her

#71 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 April 2021 - 03:37 PM

You may be, because even to ride the end of an NBA bench you need to shoot better than he does.

Sadly, I guess I have to agree, that Morsell likely can not shoot enough to make an NBA team.  The league is all about scoring and little about the things Morsell brings.  I am biased because he has become one of my favorite Terps.  He has miles and miles of heart though, so I hope he takes his shot.

@mikeghg

#72 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:17 AM

Jeff Ermann reporting that Director of Basketball Operations Mark Bialkoski is leaving the program after being offered an assistant coaching position at East Tennessee State.
@BSLZackKiesel

#73 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:34 AM

IMS: Maryland guard Aquan Smart enters NCAA transfer portal

https://247sports.co...-bM_HCogBi4PLnk

This had been rumored for a little while, and Smart makes it official.

@BSLZackKiesel

#74 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:38 PM

IMS: Wiggins entering draft, will retain eligibility 

https://247sports.co...tm_content=Link

"I'm all about being a first-rounder and hearing about guarantees and promises in terms of keeping my name in the draft," Wiggins told ESPN's Jonathan Givony. "That's why I'm keeping my college eligibility. I think I have a lot more I can show that wasn't really put on the front page of this season."

#75 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 01:06 PM

Honestly I'm encouraged that he's not just straight leaving.  Also love that quote from him.

#76 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 09 April 2021 - 01:32 PM

Is he serious about only leaving if he's a first rounder? I really don't think he is going to make that cut, but if he doesn't leave now he is probably not going to get drafted next year either.

#77 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 01:40 PM

There is not currently a decided-upon deadline for when players have to pull their names out of the NBA draft to be able to return to school.  Usually it's 10 days after the combine, but the combine hasn't been set yet.  It's gonna be a while before we know if Wiggins is staying in the draft or coming back to school (and presuming that he comes back to Maryland if he does come back).

#78 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:18 PM

Ayala also declaring for the NBA Draft, but retaining his eligibility.
@BSLZackKiesel

#79 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:39 PM

Are college players this delusional? I mean do they legit think they are first round material?
@JeremyMStrain

#80 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:46 PM

Are college players this delusional? I mean do they legit think they are first round material?

I think it's just about seeking evaluation. Ayala has to know there is zero chance of him being selected now.
But at-least both kept open the prospects of returning, which shows some level of being grounded. 

I mean both can go play professionally somewhere.  Ayala isn't sniffing the NBA imo.  Wiggins is 89th on NBA Draft Net currently.  I think he's talented enough that he could go to an individual workout, and someone might promise him a contract even if he's a 2nd rounder... but he's not even definite to be a 2nd rounder. 

I'm pretty sure both return. 

If they just wanted to get direct feedback from NBA evaluators, no harm done. Certainly understand that. 

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)

Our Sponsors

width=