379 replies to this topic

#41 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 April 2021 - 01:50 PM

Now that UMBC has a head coaching vacancy, Maryland could be losing Bino Ranson.

It'd be great to see him get that opportunity, but he'd be a tough loss for UM. Especially when it comes to how well he's recruited the Baltimore area for them.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 02:35 PM

I'd be thrilled for Bino if he got a head coaching job.  Of course would miss him as an assistant, but can't be anything but excited for him to get that opportunity.  

#43 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:23 PM

Now that UMBC has a head coaching vacancy, Maryland could be losing Bino Ranson.

Bino deserves a shot.  It will hurt the recruiting, but I hope he gets it.

@mikeghg

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:33 PM

Re: Morsell
https://247sports.co...tm_content=Link

"I want to thank coach Turgeon, the entire coaching staff, my teammates and all of Terp Nation for making the last four seasons unforgettable. The University of Maryland made me into the man I am today and I will always be grateful. It has always been a dream of mine to play at the next level and I will be declaring for the draft while maintaining my eligibility," he Tweeted. "Additionally, I will be entering my name into the transfer portal. I feel it is important to consider all of my options, including the possibility of returning to Maryland, in order to make a decision that is best for my family and our future."

Will declare for the Draft, and enter the transfer portal. 

NBA isn't realistic, so then it will be does he want to go somewhere else to play, or return to MD?

#45 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:33 PM

Ouch.

Good for him though. He's certainly earned himself a multitude of opportunities. Happy for him. He was such a great and underrated Terp. Hopefully he finds his way back through that tiny crack in the door he left open.

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:35 PM

Ouch.

Morsell?  I think it's good news, and now more likely than not he's back. 

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:36 PM

I think him entering into the transfer portal is a very clear message he isn't coming back. He knows MD. If he wanted to be here for his college, he would have said that.

#48 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:39 PM

I think him entering into the transfer portal is a very clear message he isn't coming back. He knows MD. If he wanted to be here for his college, he would have said that.

Yeah, agreed here. How often do we see guys come back after entering their names in the portal, especially ones who have a clear starting job at their current school? He must not be completely happy with Maryland for one reason or another.

@BSLZackKiesel

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:39 PM

My interpretation is he'd like to be in the NBA, but he's going to hear that isn't an option. 

If he was dead set on leaving college, and becoming a pro somewhere... that path is available to him now. 

But he didn't say that. He's willing to come back to college.  So him doing due diligence is fine.  Basically I read that as, "If Wiggins and maybe Ayala bounce, then I'm not coming back to MD... but if Wiggins is back, and I think MD can win, then I'll be back."  (Or if Wiggins leaves, but you add another real piece and I believe in the roster...)

#50 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:46 PM

My interpretation is he'd like to be in the NBA, but he's going to hear that isn't an option.

If he was dead set on leaving college, and becoming a pro somewhere... that path is available to him now.

But he didn't say that. He's willing to come back to college. So him doing due diligence is fine. Basically I read that as, "If Wiggins and maybe Ayala bounce, then I'm not coming back to MD... but if Wiggins is back, and I think MD can win, then I'll be back." (Or if Wiggins leaves, but you add another real piece and I believe in the roster...)

I could buy in to the last couple sentences there, it's possible. Let's see how it plays out. My gut took that as him being gone though. Hate it, hope I'm wrong. If I'm not, I'll root for him anyway and he deserves to do whatever is best for him. He gave us everything for 4 years.

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:52 PM

I could buy in to the last couple sentences there, it's possible. Let's see how it plays out. My gut took that as him being gone though. Hate it, hope I'm wrong. If I'm not, I'll root for him anyway and he deserves to do whatever is best for him. He gave us everything for 4 years.

Yeah, if he comes back to college and isn't a Terp... definitely going to root for him wherever. 

#52 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 April 2021 - 05:00 PM

Re: Morsell

"I want to thank coach Turgeon, the entire coaching staff, my teammates and all of Terp Nation for making the last four seasons unforgettable. The University of Maryland made me into the man I am today and I will always be grateful. It has always been a dream of mine to play at the next level and I will be declaring for the draft while maintaining my eligibility," he Tweeted. "Additionally, I will be entering my name into the transfer portal. I feel it is important to consider all of my options, including the possibility of returning to Maryland, in order to make a decision that is best for my family and our future."

Will declare for the Draft, and enter the transfer portal. 

NBA isn't realistic, so then it will be does he want to go somewhere else to play, or return to MD?

Morsell gave his all for 4 years.  I wish the man nothing but the best, wherever, he winds up.   

I will think of Morsell battling Luca Garza in the post, giving up 7 inches and about 90 pounds.  He never backed down, ever.

Good Luck Daryl.

@mikeghg

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 05:06 PM

Wow, I was absolutely expecting him to leave but wasn't remotely thinking about the possibility of him transferring out.  Will be interesting to see what he decides over the coming months.  This has caught me very off guard so not really able to make any sense of what I think the announcement means regarding him possibly returning.

#54 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:26 PM

Am I the only one, that thinks Morsell could find his way onto the back end of an NBA, bench based on his ability to play defense?

@mikeghg

#55 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:45 PM

Am I the only one, that thinks Morsell could find his way onto the back end of an NBA, bench based on his ability to play defense?

Maybe. But no one is drafting him.
He can have a long pro career somewhere though.

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:48 PM

I don't watch much NBA, but I think you may be alone there. If he could shoot he could be a great 3-and-D guy, but I think the ship has sailed on him developing that skill to that level. Same for if he could play point.

#57 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:21 PM

Yeah, agreed here. How often do we see guys come back after entering their names in the portal, especially ones who have a clear starting job at their current school? He must not be completely happy with Maryland for one reason or another.

I wouldn’t interpret it so much as not being happy as that he’s simply ready for a change of scenery after four years at UM. Personally I mostly enjoyed my 4 years in college, but I was eager for the next chapter when the time came too. When everyone who was there before you is gone, and everyone remaining came after you got there, you can feel like it’s just time to move on yourself.

#58 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:23 PM

You may be, because even to ride the end of an NBA bench you need to shoot better than he does.

#59 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:36 PM

I wouldn’t interpret it so much as not being happy as that he’s simply ready for a change of scenery after four years at UM. Personally I mostly enjoyed my 4 years in college, but I was eager for the next chapter when the time came too. When everyone who was there before you is gone, and everyone remaining came after you got there, you can feel like it’s just time to move on yourself.

Maybe he's looking for a college coach known for developing pro talent, that wants a gritty 5th year veteran leader and all pro defender to round out his roster of 5 star freshman?

I think the list would be long of teams willing to use Morsell's services.

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:51 AM

IMS: Terps in top-five? Maryland basketball landing high in early 2021-2022 rankings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=