379 replies to this topic

#361 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 04:03 PM

Not at all, just nostalgia. I miss it. Xfinity hasn't gotten particularly close to how it felt at Cole. I just miss it, and that stuff is part of the brand. Playing at Xfinity, scares no one IMO.

As Stoner said, winning will help. 

I don't agree with this part.  Students still completely surround the court. The Wall is cool.  The place rocks when the team is good.  

Cole was special, which Comcast isn't.  But it's still a great arena to watch a basketball game, gets quite loud and raucous, and can be an intimidating place for an opponent to play.

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLZackKiesel like this

#362 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 04:06 PM

When MD is good, Xfinity is 100% special, and a place that definitely intimidates.

• Mackus likes this

#363 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 04:07 PM

#364 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 04:07 PM

#365 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 04:12 PM

But it's also 18k seats, that isn't going to be full for a OOC like Mt. St Mary's or a January game vs. Minnesota if MD isn't really good. 

- MD has to be good.

- The OOC opponents have to register for the MD fanbase to care.

- Against the middle and lower of the Big Ten... same thing, MD has to be good for the fanbase to show and care.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#366 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 04:42 PM

When MD is good, Xfinity is 100% special, and a place that definitely intimidates.

I guess I'm using a rather personal version of the word special. Totally agree that Comcast can be a terrific environment for a college basketball game and is a fantastic arena by every measure.

But I don't get, and I don't know if anyone else does get, any sort of nostalgia bomb walking into Comcast.  Even seeing the trophy and the Hall of Fame and those things, it's nice and it's interesting.  But it isn't special.  Cole, even after they stopped playing there, was a really cool place to walk into even if I was just going to take an exam or play a flag football game.  The building itself had a personality.  It felt lived-in and like a piece of history.  Comcast is just a building.  A very nice, well-designed one.  But it doesn't have the same heart and the very best games at Comcast don't quite reach the feeling of the very best games at Cole.  They're still great, just not quite as great.

It's a decidedly finer experience.  It just isn't as great.  I understand if that doesn't make any sense.

#367 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 04:45 PM

I guess I'm using a rather personal version of the word special. Totally agree that Comcast can be a terrific environment for a college basketball game and is a fantastic arena by every measure.

But I don't get, and I don't know if anyone else does get, any sort of nostalgia bomb walking into Comcast.  Even seeing the trophy and the Hall of Fame and those things, it's nice and it's interesting.  But it isn't special.  Cole, even after they stopped playing there, was a really cool place to walk into even if I was just going to take an exam or play a flag football game.  The building itself had a personality.  It felt lived-in and like a piece of history.  Comcast is just a building.  A very nice, well-designed one.  But it doesn't have the same heart and the very best games at Comcast don't quite reach the feeling of the very best games at Cole.  They're still great, just not quite as great.

It's a decidedly finer experience.  It just isn't as great.  I understand if that doesn't make any sense.

It makes sense for you - and frankly many others - but doesn't match my own feelings / experience. 

#368 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 04:51 PM

Maybe its because I was younger. Teen and college age but for just a reg season Florida St or Wake game nothing matched or exceeded it except for the '14 playoff games. Atmosphere and intensity out the ass. X doesnt come close.

#369 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 March 2022 - 12:41 PM

Fatts Russell and Eric Ayala were named as All-Big Ten honorable mentions.
@BSLZackKiesel

#370 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 March 2022 - 01:44 PM

Fatts Russell and Eric Ayala were named as All-Big Ten honorable mentions.

Seems fair, and both have picked up their games at the end of the schedule.  

@mikeghg

#371 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 03:52 PM

Since 21/22 was a pretty lousy season, I watched the 2004 ACC tourney over the past week or so to remind me of better times.  A few things stood out:

• I forgot how good of a player Jamar Smith was.  Underrated in Terp lore IMO.
  • John Gilchrist - don't know what happened between him and GW to make that blow up, but man was he a good player.  Wish he would have kept his head on straight his junior year.
  • How pleasant it is to see an offense run well.

• BSLMikeLowe and Mackus like this

#372 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 March 2022 - 03:56 PM

• I forgot how good of a player Jamar Smith was.  Underrated in Terp lore IMO.

One of a number of JUCO guys that played under Gary and did well, IIRC.

#373 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 04:01 PM

One of a number of JUCO guys that played under Gary and did well, IIRC.

Not just JuCo but all the same one. Allegany College sent us Steve Francis, Jamar Smith, Sleepy Randle, and Sterling Ledbetter.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

#374 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 01:03 PM

Not just JuCo but all the same one. Allegany College sent us Steve Francis, Jamar Smith, Sleepy Randle, and Sterling Ledbetter.

Ledbetter was a bit if a disappointment, though. Wasn't he more of a football guy, or am I thinking of another two sport star? The others definitely produced, though.

My favorite JUCO was Bambale Osby.
  • Mike B likes this

#375 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 March 2022 - 03:36 PM

Ledbetter was a bit if a disappointment, though. Wasn't he more of a football guy, or am I thinking of another two sport star? The others definitely produced, though.

Ledbetter never played football that I'm aware of. Maybe you're thinking of Calvin McCall? He was set to be the starting QB when Fridge took over, but decided to play basketball full time.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#376 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 03:59 PM

Smith, and Randle were both solid players for Gary. Especially their senior years. Ledbetter not so much.

#377 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 04:02 PM

Ledbetter was in a car accident, after he was signed, and before his first game as a Terp.  Apparently lost athleticism.

#378 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 March 2022 - 04:09 PM

So he wasn’t yellow

@fuzydunlop

#379 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 March 2022 - 10:22 AM

Boom really got better in his time at Maryland.  His physical style of play would fit well in the B10.    He busted his ass when he was on the court.

@mikeghg

#380 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 March 2022 - 10:22 AM

Ledbetter never played football that I'm aware of. Maybe you're thinking of Calvin McCall? He was set to be the starting QB when Fridge took over, but decided to play basketball full time.

Yep McCall was the 2 sport guy.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=