379 replies to this topic

#281 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,100 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 05:28 PM

So Ricker, we think Maryland has a chance to be pretty good?

#282 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 November 2021 - 05:32 PM

So Ricker, we think Maryland has a chance to be pretty good?

A very good chance. Most of the issues to this point can be directly drawn up to a lot of new pieces playing their first games together - and having the good problem of depth, but early season rotation madness leads to poor tempo and rhythm and that’s what we’ve seen. Super talented IMO, and a complimentary, well rounded roster.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#283 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 05:49 PM

I think the only thing they lack in the rotation is good outside shooting.  Scott shot very well last year, but I don't know how likely it is that he has another strong shooting season.  Everyone else is passable at best.  

• You Play to Win the Game and Hooded Viper like this

#284 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,100 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 05:59 PM

I think the only thing they lack in the rotation is good outside shooting. Scott shot very well last year, but I don't know how likely it is that he has another strong shooting season. Everyone else is passable at best.

Point taken but hasnt Ayala been solid from outside?

#285 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 07:15 PM

Point taken but hasnt Ayala been solid from outside?

I think passable is a mostly fair description of Ayala as a shooter.  33% for his career from 3.  He shot it really well as a freshman (41%) but has never come close to that since.  Quite bad as a sophomore (27%).  Fine as a junior (34%).  Would be great if he can reach 40% again, but I'm expecting low to mid 30s.  Not bad, not good.  It's fine.  Almost exactly league average.

#286 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,346 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 November 2021 - 12:38 PM

Maryland has moved up one spot to #20 in this week’s AP Poll.
@BSLZackKiesel

#287 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 November 2021 - 03:03 PM

I think passable is a mostly fair description of Ayala as a shooter.  33% for his career from 3.  He shot it really well as a freshman (41%) but has never come close to that since.  Quite bad as a sophomore (27%).  Fine as a junior (34%).  Would be great if he can reach 40% again, but I'm expecting low to mid 30s.  Not bad, not good.  It's fine.  Almost exactly league average.

I think for most shooting from 3 is technique and confidence.

I think you are right about Ayala being a mid 30's shooter from 3, and I think his ability to work inside, is where his value really increases.

@mikeghg

#288 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 03:18 PM

I think the only thing they lack in the rotation is good outside shooting.  Scott shot very well last year, but I don't know how likely it is that he has another strong shooting season.  Everyone else is passable at best.  

Another reason that Wiggins departure hurts so much.  

#289 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,346 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 November 2021 - 03:28 PM

Maryland is teasing some sort of tribute to Len Bias during their game against Virginia Tech on December 1st.
@BSLZackKiesel

#290 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 07:29 AM

Not really sure where would be the proper place to put this.  And I'm sure it's a more negative discussion than Chris would prefer :)

But let's say that you're president of Maryland for the day and you're told you can get rid of either Locksley or Turgeon.  All financial aspects aside.  Who gets the axe?

#291 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 07:31 AM

Not really sure where would be the proper place to put this. And I'm sure it's a more negative discussion than Chris would prefer :)

But let's say that you're president of Maryland for the day and you're told you can get rid of either Locksley or Turgeon. All financial aspects aside. Who gets the axe?

The discussion is fine.

Turgeon easily.
  • glenn__davis likes this

#292 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:02 AM

Locksley, easy.

I feel like Turgeon is medicore... he'll never coach a team to a title but maybe he can get a team together that's talented enough to overcome it.

Locksley would be lucky to have the success Turgeon has had.

#293 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:22 AM

Turgeon. Our basketball team can actually make meaningful March runs again. The football program? Even with the expanded playoff's it’s literally one in a million, it’ll never happen IMO and if it does, it’ll be a one off.

So it’s rather easily Turgeon. It could be Edsall on the other side and it’d still be Turgeon.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#294 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,590 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:56 AM

Turgeon. Our basketball team can actually make meaningful March runs again. The football program? Even with the expanded playoff's it’s literally one in a million, it’ll never happen IMO and if it does, it’ll be a one off.

So it’s rather easily Turgeon. It could be Edsall on the other side and it’d still be Turgeon.

Exactly

#295 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 09:06 AM

Locksley is not going to be the ultimate 'guy', but that's not why he is here now. He's here now as a bridge. To bring some stability to a program that went through a lot of turmoil. He's a recruiter, and he's a recruiter because he's built relationships with the programs MD has to have a relationships with over decades. He's providing value by stacking classes, increasing the talent base, and establishing those pipelines. 

And at some point when that is maxed out (I'm thinking 5 classes); then you can go find the guy who you believe can help elevate you. 
Right now, give him some help and give him more $ for his Assistants. 

Turgeon is not supposed to be the bridge guy, he's supposed to be the destination guy. 
He's not a horrible coach. In fact, I think he's a pretty good coach overall, and I say that as someone that hates his playing style. 
But he's simply not good enough, and the fanbase (at-least the majority) loathes him. 

He's got S16 talent on this roster. And even in a deep and talented Big Ten, he's got enough on the roster to be Top 4. 

If he gets a S16 this year, finishes Top 4 in the Big Ten, and maybe makes a Big Ten Tournament run.... maybe the narratives change a little bit, and the fanbase becomes more on-board

But the question was if $ didn't matter, what move would you make and I think it's clearly Turgeon. 

All of that said, $ obviously does matter, and Turgeon is now signed trough '25-'26 and I think you can expect him to be on the sidelines until at-least '24-'25.

• glenn__davis likes this

#296 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 10:15 AM

Turgeon, no question.  He's a far better coach than Locksley, but I care about Terps basketball significantly more than Terps football.  

• BobPhelan likes this

#297 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 10:17 AM

All of that said, $ obviously does matter, and Turgeon is now signed trough '25-'26 and I think you can expect him to be on the sidelines until at-least '24-'25.

I think this is no longer accurate.  Turgeon is finally fireable from a financial perspective.  Possibly could've been fired after last year, but it gets much easier after this season.  His new extension was largely ceremonial, it didn't add much guaranteed or buyout money at all beyond what was already in his previous contract.

• BSLChrisStoner and You Play to Win the Game like this

#298 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,346 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 November 2021 - 12:40 PM

Maryland has dropped out of this week’s AP Poll and are effectively ranked #34.
@BSLZackKiesel

#299 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 November 2021 - 02:24 PM

Maryland has dropped out of this week’s AP Poll and are effectively ranked #34.

Based on what we have seen so far, #34 seems about right, maybe even slightly high.

@mikeghg

#300 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 November 2021 - 08:38 PM

Richmond leading Hofstra 73-64 with 4:30 remaining. Good game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=