#321 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 04 January 2022 - 08:04 PM

So I asked about Manning's wake tenure on reddit and the general sentiment there was that Manning inherited a team that was bound to regress up to the mean (Hart and Ayala weren't going to shoot 20% from 3 forever) and Manning's main failure at Wake was failing to manage the fanbase and failing to instill a winning culture. That aspect of head coaching is really hard to quantify, but I think it's probably the most important aspect of head coaching in any sport. I also think that it's not going to show up with an interim HC that takes over mid-season. I probably agree that I don't want anything to do with Manning unless he does so well that we have no choice but to keep him.

#322 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 08:24 PM

Manning just isnt an option. That said, I hope he finds a way to turn things around this year.

#323 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 07 January 2022 - 11:22 AM

Not sure where to put this, or if it's been mentioned, but Maryland was one of 4 schools to win a bowl game, and at least one game in the Men's and Women's NCAA Tournaments in 2021. Thought that was kind of neat. 

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLZackKiesel like this
@beginthebegin71

#324 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:48 PM

Assistant coach Bruce Shingler has been suspended for 30 days for what the university is calling a violation of his employment agreement.

EDIT: A quick search of Maryland's state legal records shows that Shingler was charged with two counts of soliciting prostitution back in October. His trial is set for the end of February. Not sure what prompted the suspension to be handed down right now.

@BSLZackKiesel

#325 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 January 2022 - 10:32 PM

Assistant coach Bruce Shingler has been suspended for 30 days for what the university is calling a violation of his employment agreement.

EDIT: A quick search of Maryland's state legal records shows that Shingler was charged with two counts of soliciting prostitution back in October. His trial is set for the end of February. Not sure what prompted the suspension to be handed down right now.

”Shingler allegedly responded to an advertisement posted online by an undercover law enforcement officer, according to The Baltimore Sun. After he and the undercover detective exchanged texts, Shingler agreed to meet at a hotel in Largo, Maryland. At the hotel, Shingler agreed to pay $80 for sex before an arresting unit was alerted.” -As reported by Jeff Ermann
@BSLZackKiesel

#326 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 09:18 AM

Seems odd for Damon Evans to be handing down punishment for such behavior.  

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#327 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 January 2022 - 09:50 AM

”Shingler allegedly responded to an advertisement posted online by an undercover law enforcement officer, according to The Baltimore Sun. After he and the undercover detective exchanged texts, Shingler agreed to meet at a hotel in Largo, Maryland. At the hotel, Shingler agreed to pay $80 for sex before an arresting unit was alerted.” -As reported by Jeff Ermann

Wow, I would be surprised, if he coaches again at Maryland.

@mikeghg

#328 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 January 2022 - 09:22 PM

Maryland is teasing an event that’ll be taking place during their game against Ohio State on February 27th. Seems to be honoring the 2002 National Championship team, likely a 20-year anniversary event.
@BSLZackKiesel

#329 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 09:41 PM

Maryland is teasing an event that’ll be taking place during their game against Ohio State on February 27th. Seems to be honoring the 2002 National Championship team, likely a 20-year anniversary event.

Man that could be really cringe if there is no atmosphere and with everything going on. Tough situation.

#330 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 January 2022 - 11:15 AM

UMTerps: Maryland to Celebrate 20th Anniversary of NCAA Championship Feb. 27

https://umterps.com/...hip-feb-27.aspx

@BSLZackKiesel

#331 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:35 PM

Man that could be really cringe if there is no atmosphere and with everything going on. Tough situation.

I thought the same thing.  No one is showing up, but maybe bringing back Blake, Juan, Wilcox etc. will bring people in.

The combination of bad basketball and Covid, has killed the excitement.

@mikeghg

#332 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:35 PM

There was an article in The Athletic (subs req) the other day about Maryland being at the crossroads, and in it were some “get over it” quotes by Gary Williams to those who still lament the move out of the ACC to the Big Ten. 

I think Turgeon was a convenient scapegoat, because manufactured rivalries are crap no matter how you slice them. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#333 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:54 PM

There was an article in The Athletic (subs req) the other day about Maryland being at the crossroads, and in it were some “get over it” quotes by Gary Williams to those who still lament the move out of the ACC to the Big Ten. 

I think Turgeon was a convenient scapegoat, because manufactured rivalries are crap no matter how you slice them. 

It's more than that though, but I do bet that plays a role, so I think it's a good point worth mentioning. But beyond that, manufactured rivalries would be a lot more acceptable with the occasional deep tournament run, which we never really had any hope of, aside from maybe 2020 (go figure). We can do worse than Turgeon, but I'm betting we'll be able to do a lot better. 

#334 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:57 PM

It's more than that though, but I do bet that plays a role, so I think it's a good point worth mentioning. But beyond that, manufactured rivalries would be a lot more acceptable with the occasional deep tournament run, which we never really had any hope of, aside from maybe 2020 (go figure). We can do worse than Turgeon, but I'm betting we'll be able to do a lot better. 

I don’t doubt they will do better than Turgeon, but who’s going to go meet up with friends to catch a game vs Michigan or Nebraska like they would vs Duke or Virginia?

I understand you can never go home again, but this is Maryland’s fate. It’s going to take decades to form these manufactured rivalries. 

#335 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:59 PM

I bet they will, but who’s going to go meet up with friends to catch a game vs Michigan or Nebraska like they would vs Duke or Virginia?

I understand you can never go home again, but this is Maryland’s fate. It’s going to take decades to form these manufactured rivalries. 

Sure, but tournament runs, and hell, even conference tournament runs go a long way. Honestly, outside of 2002, the year GIlchrist led them to the ACC title is still my favorite Terps memory. That was an amazing weekend. Stuff like that helps. Turgeon never delivered in those moments. Never. He was just happy to win enough games to get into the tourney and call it a win. He hung his hat on that, and didn't have the desire to win a Championship IMO. Maryland may very well whiff on their next hire, maybe the job isn't what some of us think it is, who knows, but they at least deserve a guy with that drive to get to the top. 

#336 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 02:35 PM

How does this fit in response to what I said? (Not being a jerk, just dense apparently and I'm missing your point.) 
My only point about celebrating the 02 team this year is that you don't have the future HC in place, the program is in flux and having a poor year, and the COVID concerns remain.  Doesn't make for a great celebration.  But it's an anniversary year, and it's hard to ignore too.

Of course MD is at a crossroads...   the fanbase wants more, a new HC is coming by +/- April 1st.

But it's not like MD's had no success 'recently'. Prior to this year, they were I believe the 2nd winningest program in the Big Ten since joining the conference.  Plenty of big games, with Xfinity rocking.  But not enough success in the post-season (Big Ten Tournament, or NCAAs). 

Turgeon wasn't a scapegoat for anything. 

He's not a horrible coach, but he never had pulse on this fanbase. 
He presented himself as comfortable with the success they had, and the fanbase (rightfully) made clear it wasn't enough. 

People gave him extended passes as 'a nice guy', but too often he didn't point the finger back at himself, but at others (particularly his players) when things didn't go right. 

My feelings for him never really changed. 

I didn't loath him like other MD fans, but he never grew on me either. 

Re: ACC...  I'm also tired of hearing that.   If we're talking about the 9 team ACC of the mid 90s, sure... I miss that.   And do I miss playing Duke, and to a lesser extent UNC and to an even lesser extent UVA?   Yeah, sure. 

But really all I care about is MD.  How MD is performing.  And at this point there are plenty of Big Ten schools I have 'feelings' for. 
Non are approaching Duke '95-'04; but whatever. 

MD needs to focus on MD.   And they did that when they moved to the Big Ten, which was absolutely the right move financially for the program.

• Mike B likes this

#337 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 January 2022 - 03:55 PM

I don’t doubt they will do better than Turgeon, but who’s going to go meet up with friends to catch a game vs Michigan or Nebraska like they would vs Duke or Virginia?

If people don't want to meet up to see a school that has made the national title game twice in the past ten years that's not Maryland's fault lol 

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

she/her

#338 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:14 PM

How does this fit in response to what I said? (Not being a jerk, just dense apparently and I'm missing your point.) 
My only point about celebrating the 02 team this year is that you don't have the future HC in place, the program is in flux and having a poor year, and the COVID concerns remain.  Doesn't make for a great celebration.  But it's an anniversary year, and it's hard to ignore too.

Of course MD is at a crossroads...   the fanbase wants more, a new HC is coming by +/- April 1st.

But it's not like MD's had no success 'recently'. Prior to this year, they were I believe the 2nd winningest program in the Big Ten since joining the conference.  Plenty of big games, with Xfinity rocking.  But not enough success in the post-season (Big Ten Tournament, or NCAAs). 

Turgeon wasn't a scapegoat for anything. 

He's not a horrible coach, but he never had pulse on this fanbase. 
He presented himself as comfortable with the success they had, and the fanbase (rightfully) made clear it wasn't enough. 

People gave him extended passes as 'a nice guy', but too often he didn't point the finger back at himself, but at others (particularly his players) when things didn't go right. 

My feelings for him never really changed. 

I didn't loath him like other MD fans, but he never grew on me either. 

Re: ACC...  I'm also tired of hearing that.   If we're talking about the 9 team ACC of the mid 90s, sure... I miss that.   And do I miss playing Duke, and to a lesser extent UNC and to an even lesser extent UVA?   Yeah, sure. 

But really all I care about is MD.  How MD is performing.  And at this point there are plenty of Big Ten schools I have 'feelings' for. 
Non are approaching Duke '95-'04; but whatever. 

MD needs to focus on MD.   And they did that when they moved to the Big Ten, which was absolutely the right move financially for the program.

Great post Chris!

My two cents worth, with the exception of the practice facility, the things needed for Maryland to be successful are available to the program.   The fan base will be there for a good product.  The conference IMO, is now far better than the ACC.  If Maryland returns to top 15 status the rivalries will grow and become heated like the old ACC rivals.

As for Turgeon, it feels like he may be telling his side of the story to anyone who is listening, and he did have some good moments here but nothing was ever sustained.  His teams were often the first out of tournaments, his recruits often moved on to other schools.  His style was more of a counter puncher, and I think if Maryland brings an aggressive coach, who plays an attacking style the fans will come back.  

Maryland should be much more than they have been the last 10 years and with the right choice will be.

@mikeghg

#339 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:15 PM

It's similar to the people who strongly preferred Cole Field House to Comcast Center.  It made sense to do it.  There were obvious and necessary reasons to modernize.  But many of the things that made the experience so great aren't quite as good now. 

#340 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:33 PM

It's similar to the people who strongly preferred Cole Field House to Comcast Center. It made sense to do it. There were obvious and necessary reasons to modernize. But many of the things that made the experience so great aren't quite as good now.

Really? Having been to both, I found Comcast center to be a generally superior environment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=