#62 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 31 July 2021 - 06:03 PM

So do we have any sort of explanation about the 18+ scoreless innings? Or do we just go with the flow — like when a girl out of our league somehow tolerates us…?

You're telling me you wouldn't be better at your job after getting 10 days off? 

she/her

#63 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 10:06 AM

60-day IL.

#64 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 November 2021 - 08:25 PM

Officially a free agent

#65 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:10 PM

Good.

#66 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:21 PM

Officially a free agent

They are now in search of the next Matt Harvey.

@mikeghg

#67 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 08 February 2022 - 06:42 PM

Ummmm....

T.J. Quinn
@TJQuinnESPN
· 42m
Breaking: During opening, defense atty says Matt Harvey will be named as possible drug source for Tyler Skaggs. Says Eric Kay asked TS the night he died where he got pink pills. Says TS told him “those are Percocets I got from Harvey.” Harvey will be called as witness this week.

@beginthebegin71

#68 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 07:02 PM

Harvey was pretty well known for partying when he was in New York, so I suppose it's plausible, but hard to just take the accused's word for it in most trials.  The prosecution is supposedly going to put a bunch of guys on the stand who will say they got drugs from the guy charged.

#69 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 11:31 AM

Welp.

Matt Harvey is close to a deal with the Orioles. Will be a minors deal. Plan is for him to start in Florida in O's extended spring camp and build up.

#70 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 11:41 AM

Did he get punished by MLB? Suspension?

#71 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 April 2022 - 11:48 AM

They won't spend money, but they will go get washed up opioid distributors. Classy stuff.

#72 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 11:50 AM

They won't spend money, but they will go get washed up opioid distributors. Classy stuff.

If the sophomores are pitching well enough he'll never pitch for the Os

#73 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 11:57 AM

I know nobody thinks he does, but he doesn't count as an acceptable option for one of the three SP they needed to sign.  Lyles counts.  So they signed 1-of-3.  0-of-3 RP they needed (actually traded away two, which is fine, but should have replaced).  0-3 IF they needed (Odor doesn't count).  1-1 at catcher.

And pending any signings after the season starts, they also managed to stay under $10M in total new dollars committed to free agents.  $8.6M by my count (Lyles, Chirinos, Odor).  What a disgrace.

• You Play to Win the Game, DuffMan, Mike in STL and 2 others like this

#74 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 April 2022 - 01:52 PM

I would have thought he'd be toxic after his role in Tyler Skaggs's death. That they are even giving him a MiL deal is disturbing to me.

#75 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 02:00 PM

I know nobody thinks he does, but he doesn't count as an acceptable option for one of the three SP they needed to sign. Lyles counts. So they signed 1-of-3. 0-of-3 RP they needed (actually traded away two, which is fine, but should have replaced). 0-3 IF they needed (Odor doesn't count). 1-1 at catcher.

And pending any signings after the season starts, they also managed to stay under $10M in total new dollars committed to free agents. $8.6M by my count (Lyles, Chirinos, Odor). What a disgrace.

Assuming they'd never spend the money on good FAs.... would you rather watch guys like Rick Helling, Steve Trachsel, Matt Harvey, Kevin Millwood, etc get torched nightly or give one last chance to guys like Akin and Kremer before we're disappointed by the next wave.

#76 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 02:14 PM

Assuming they'd never spend the money on good FAs.... would you rather watch guys like Rick Helling, Steve Trachsel, Matt Harvey, Kevin Millwood, etc get torched nightly or give one last chance to guys like Akin and Kremer before we're disappointed by the next wave.

100% I'd rather have Trachsel, Millwood, Cashner, etc than see 3 guys like Akin and Kremer in the rotation. Not Harvey, he's below the very low bar I'm talking about, as evidenced by the minor league contract.  Though if he was the third guy I wouldn't complain much.

I wanted 3 additions, guys like Lyles were fine though it'd have been nice to get one actually good pitcher for a bit more money.  3 additions means you've got Means, the 3 new guys, and still one spot for Baumann or whomever until Rodriguez is up.  Everyone else is in the pen.  If they pitch well and you wanna see them start, then you bump one of the new signees. No big deal.  The signees just give you a lot higher floor.  They aren't going to pitch to a 4.50 ERA, but they should bottom out in the 5-5.50 range, which is a good bit better than the 6-7 ERA we got from everyone other than Means last year.

#77 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 02:18 PM

100% I'd rather have Trachsel, Millwood, Cashner, etc than see 3 guys like Akin and Kremer in the rotation. Not Harvey, he's below the very low bar I'm talking about, as evidenced by the minor league contract. Though if he was the third guy I wouldn't complain much.

I wanted 3 additions, guys like Lyles were fine though it'd have been nice to get one actually good pitcher for a bit more money. 3 additions means you've got Means, the 3 new guys, and still one spot for Baumann or whomever until Rodriguez is up. Everyone else is in the pen. If they pitch well and you wanna see them start, then you bump one of the new signees. No big deal. The signees just give you a lot higher floor. They aren't going to pitch to a 4.50 ERA, but they should bottom out in the 5-5.50 range, which is a good bit better than the 6-7 ERA we got from everyone other than Means last year.

I wasn't going to count guys like Cashner or Pat Hentgen or even trades like Kris Benson who were at least expected to be near league average.

I expect guys like Trachsel, Millwood, Helling to be near human pitching machines, we know they're likely going to be terrible. You may get a 7 ERA from Akin or Kremer, but there's also a tiny chance they could flip a switch and be in that 4.5 range.

#78 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 02:23 PM

Yeah, no need to continually rehash the debate. Have no problem with the Os giving 2 rotation spots to the young guys. Ideally, yes, they wouldve signed one more SP. As far as the infield goes I disagree about needing to fill 3 spots. Urias deserved a starting spot over some 1 year guy who is unlikely to be better than him.

#79 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 02:26 PM

I expect guys like Trachsel, Millwood, Helling to be near human pitching machines, we know they're likely going to be terrible. You may get a 7 ERA from Akin or Kremer, but there's also a tiny chance they could flip a switch and be in that 4.5 range.

I think you can have both the higher floor vets that you can get for cheap 1-2 year deals and still catch the potential breakout of any of the younger guys.

Means started in the bullpen in 2019 and after he pitched really well there we figured out a way to get him into the rotation.  Same thing for Miguel Gonzalez in 2012.  Having fewer and/or smaller roles just handed out to these guys means that the opportunities will come serially rather than in parallel for all of them at the same time.  But some opportunity will still be there.  If they start pitching well, they get more opportunities.  If multiple guys are pitching well in the bullpen or in occasional spot starts and you want to expand their roles,  that means you need to trade or release one of the FAs, so be it.  That'd be a good problem to have.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#80 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 April 2022 - 11:47 PM

I wonder if Harvey needs to be on a roster to serve a suspension and the Orioles are just helping him out.

Then he can leave/whatever and not have suspension pending.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=