2525 replies to this topic

#121 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 02:15 PM

I wouldn’t count out PIT so he could play with his brother. Not sure about their cap situation though.
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#122 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 03:09 PM

I wouldn’t count out PIT so he could play with his brother. Not sure about their cap situation though.

I think Pitt has one of the worse cap situations this offseason. Could be wrong on that.

#123 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 February 2021 - 03:12 PM

Once Ben is restructured, their cap space goes away, but this article and Vegas still has the Steelers as the favorite for Watt.

https://www.behindth...ttsburgh-texans

#124 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 10:45 AM

Once Ben is restructured, their cap space goes away, but this article and Vegas still has the Steelers as the favorite for Watt.

Their cap space may break even. Pouncey just retired as did Vance McDonnell. So theirs $15 mil in savings. But losing their center plus a tackle & guard being FA's plus Dupree + Ju Ju + Hilton + Sutton, etc. Unless Watt can play offensive line him going there is just a feel good story, I'm going to play with my brothers story

#125 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 February 2021 - 02:07 PM

Their cap space may break even. Pouncey just retired as did Vance McDonnell. So theirs $15 mil in savings. But losing their center plus a tackle & guard being FA's plus Dupree + Ju Ju + Hilton + Sutton, etc. Unless Watt can play offensive line him going there is just a feel good story, I'm going to play with my brothers story

Not to mention they already have plenty of money invested in very good players (Heyward/Tuitt) at Watt's position. Other than the sibling angle, I see nothing to connect him with Pittsburgh.

#126 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 February 2021 - 04:04 PM

Watt fits what the Ravens like to do.   A solid veteran player with tread on the tires,

If he wants to go play with his brothers, he will.

If he wants to chase a ring, the Ravens and others come into play,

@mikeghg

#127 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:01 PM

I thought the idea behind restructuring Ben Roethlisberger was that they would gain cap space.  Quite honestly I don't know all that much about their cap situation other than they don't currently have much.  But what is the point of restructuring him if it doesn't initially benefit them in terms of giving them more space?

#128 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:43 PM

My thoughts on Watt....

He's a solid veteran, still a good player, but injury prone and on the down side of his career.

For Pittsburgh, he would be a nice story because of the bother connection, but I think they have more pressing needs.  The Steelers lost Devin Bush early, and Bud Dupree just after Thanksgiving.  They also lost a couple of other guys for a few games to either injury or covid and still finished with the # 3 ranked defense.  They have OL issues to deal with and the only way they make that offense work with Roethlisberger next year is an upgraded running game.  Maybe if he gives Pit a serious discount to play with his brothers, which he has indicated he might do, and that allows them to part ways with someone to clear cap space it makes sense.  Otherwise I don't think it is the best use of their money.

For the Ravens, the same thing kind of applies.  Watt would be a good addition, but defense really wasn't their problem come playoff time.  The D held Tennessee to 13 points and Buffalo to 10.  I know there will be some losses with Judon, Ngakoue, McPhee, Bowser, and a few others maybe able to get more money elsewhere, but I'm not sure adding Watt at a higher price is the best use of their money either.  The Ravens need to fix their OL, especially if they accommodate Brown, who wants to be a LT, with a trade.  And they badly need a big time receiver.  They don't have a great cap situation themselves now, and after they back the Brinks truck up for Jackson it won't get any better.  The Ravens defense held Buffalo to 10 points but because Buffalo shut their running game down, their offense was held to 3 points.  The defense played well enough come playoff time to make a deep run, the offense showed it really needs to be more balanced to be successful.  Unless Watt comes cheap, he isn't the most pressing need for the Ravens, imo.

As for the rest of possible landing spots for Watt, imo if Watt wants to play with his brothers, he probably can do that by giving the Steelers a discount, but that isn't his best opportunity for a ring.  If he wants to at least play in a SB his best options would appear to be Green Bay or Buffalo, assuming of course that KC is neither interested nor can afford him.  

#129 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 February 2021 - 01:04 PM

My thoughts on Watt....

He's a solid veteran, still a good player, but injury prone and on the down side of his career.

For Pittsburgh, he would be a nice story because of the bother connection, but I think they have more pressing needs.  The Steelers lost Devin Bush early, and Bud Dupree just after Thanksgiving.  They also lost a couple of other guys for a few games to either injury or covid and still finished with the # 3 ranked defense.  They have OL issues to deal with and the only way they make that offense work with Roethlisberger next year is an upgraded running game.  Maybe if he gives Pit a serious discount to play with his brothers, which he has indicated he might do, and that allows them to part ways with someone to clear cap space it makes sense.  Otherwise I don't think it is the best use of their money.

For the Ravens, the same thing kind of applies.  Watt would be a good addition, but defense really wasn't their problem come playoff time.  The D held Tennessee to 13 points and Buffalo to 10.  I know there will be some losses with Judon, Ngakoue, McPhee, Bowser, and a few others maybe able to get more money elsewhere, but I'm not sure adding Watt at a higher price is the best use of their money either.  The Ravens need to fix their OL, especially if they accommodate Brown, who wants to be a LT, with a trade.  And they badly need a big time receiver.  They don't have a great cap situation themselves now, and after they back the Brinks truck up for Jackson it won't get any better.  The Ravens defense held Buffalo to 10 points but because Buffalo shut their running game down, their offense was held to 3 points.  The defense played well enough come playoff time to make a deep run, the offense showed it really needs to be more balanced to be successful.  Unless Watt comes cheap, he isn't the most pressing need for the Ravens, imo.

As for the rest of possible landing spots for Watt, imo if Watt wants to play with his brothers, he probably can do that by giving the Steelers a discount, but that isn't his best opportunity for a ring.  If he wants to at least play in a SB his best options would appear to be Green Bay or Buffalo, assuming of course that KC is neither interested nor can afford him.  

I think the Ravens offer the chance for a ring too.  Time will tell.

@mikeghg

#130 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 02:47 PM

I think the Ravens offer the chance for a ring too.  Time will tell.

Yes, I would have the Ravens in the mix.  I would list them at #3 in the AFC.  The problem with Watt going to them is that he would add to an already really good defense, but it would only make them  incrementally better and would not solve their bigger problems in the Oline and passing game.  But adding him to Buffalo would make a slightly better than average defense much better.  Same with GB.  

#131 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 07:48 AM

CBS Sports: Eagles expected to cut or trade former Pro Bowl tight end Zach Ertz, possibly in Carson Wentz deal, per report
https://www.cbssport...eal-per-report/

#132 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 12:55 PM

CBS Sports: Eagles expected to cut or trade former Pro Bowl tight end Zach Ertz, possibly in Carson Wentz deal, per report
https://www.cbssport...eal-per-report/

I wouldn't mind taking a run at Ertz. His better days are behind him. But he's still a big target with soft hands, that knows how to get open underneath.

#133 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 February 2021 - 01:41 PM

Yes, I would have the Ravens in the mix.  I would list them at #3 in the AFC.  The problem with Watt going to them is that he would add to an already really good defense, but it would only make them  incrementally better and would not solve their bigger problems in the Oline and passing game.  But adding him to Buffalo would make a slightly better than average defense much better.  Same with GB.  

I think Watt would make up some of the sacks that are sure to be leaving.

I watched how Tampa beat up the Chielfs with a very physical front.  JPP killed them.  Watt could help do that for the Ravens,

That said, right player, right price plays here.  I would rather bring in 3 good players, than one very expensive JJ Watt.

@mikeghg

#134 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 02:18 PM

It's going to be all cap, all day for this team. Can't decide what to do until we know what the cap is. That first wave of FA will go, will the Ravens be in on any of those first wave guys? This year, probably not, and historically they only dabble some in that wave and usually at the end. 

My target would still be Thuney or Scherff if Washington lets him get away. But after that, you just wait this market out. Lots of players at different places will be available that can help in different ways. Add to the spots that give you the return on that. If Watt lasts to that phase, I could see the Ravens goign for Watt rather than another direction at edge because the dollars and fit make sense. 

I think it's goign to be a bit of a wild FA season. And you'll see true competitors walk away with the best value deals for guys looking to chase rings and pump their value. I mean we still don't even know what the salary cap will be and what, if any, are special exemption rules that might come out this year, too. 

• sandiegosean likes this

#135 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:24 AM

It's going to be all cap, all day for this team. Can't decide what to do until we know what the cap is. That first wave of FA will go, will the Ravens be in on any of those first wave guys? This year, probably not, and historically they only dabble some in that wave and usually at the end. 

My target would still be Thuney or Scherff if Washington lets him get away. But after that, you just wait this market out. Lots of players at different places will be available that can help in different ways. Add to the spots that give you the return on that. If Watt lasts to that phase, I could see the Ravens goign for Watt rather than another direction at edge because the dollars and fit make sense. 

I think it's goign to be a bit of a wild FA season. And you'll see true competitors walk away with the best value deals for guys looking to chase rings and pump their value. I mean we still don't even know what the salary cap will be and what, if any, are special exemption rules that might come out this year, too. 

Watt can really only sign with a team with enough cap space that's not worried what the cap will be. Not many playoff teams can say that. If what's being said of the cap possibly being 180-185, there's going to be plenty players released with the hope of their team resigning them cheaper. Those are the players DeCosta will jump on.

#136 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 11:44 AM

Or he takes some kind of deal. But if it's not Watt it'll be someone that has to take a deal. I just galnced at the first third of an article about potential salary cuts and they included Geno Adkins, Chandler Jones, Von Miller. There are guys like Watt, Lawson, Judon, Ngakoue, Clowney and many more edge DL defenders that are ultimately going to be out there. I think many teams will cut veterans (unless the league carves out an incentive not to) just because the market in many ways needs to be flooded. 

What an awful year to be a FA. 

#137 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 12:50 PM

Kawann Short another interior DL defender just cut. There are going to be a lot of this type of player out there, I think. 

#138 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 February 2021 - 02:43 PM

Kawann Short another interior DL defender just cut. There are going to be a lot of this type of player out there, I think. 

I said earlier, patience is going to be a key.  There will be a ton of good players out there, and teams are not going to have money.  Patience Ravens, patience.

@mikeghg

#139 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 February 2021 - 02:45 PM

Or he takes some kind of deal. But if it's not Watt it'll be someone that has to take a deal. I just galnced at the first third of an article about potential salary cuts and they included Geno Adkins, Chandler Jones, Von Miller. There are guys like Watt, Lawson, Judon, Ngakoue, Clowney and many more edge DL defenders that are ultimately going to be out there. I think many teams will cut veterans (unless the league carves out an incentive not to) just because the market in many ways needs to be flooded. 

What an awful year to be a FA. 

Very possibly the worst year ever to be a free agent in any sport.  Hell even the Orioles are pinching their pennies. :-P

The Ravens have a little money so they will get some players at a bargain.

@mikeghg

#140 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 08:45 AM

I know it's just offseason headline filler. But I've seen multiple articles and posts talking about Beckham being available, and the Ravens possible interest. I personally want no parts of him. But just curious to see if anyone had heard anything, and what the general consensus here would be.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=