2525 replies to this topic

#1001 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,251 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 07:47 PM

As others have reiterated numerous times, Jackson is just being selfish and trying to prove a point like almost everyone is that refuses to get vaccinated. It's a shame he's bought into the political/social media nonsense and won't even think about anyone but himself. Of course, we could be assuming a lot and he will in fact get vaccinated. Only time will tell because you better believe a reporter is going to ask him that. If he continues to say he doesn't want to discuss it, you'll get your answer right then and there.

Perhaps he really isn't comfortable with taking the vaccine. Further, since he has kept his rationale to himself, ( which is his right) there has been nothing to indicate that his reasons for not taking the vaccine are based on his political beliefs or the influence of social media.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1002 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 10:19 PM

People who think that requiring the polio vaccine is Communism?

I said that?

#1003 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 August 2021 - 12:51 AM

I said that?

Yea. Pretty much.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1004 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 01:20 AM

I know this has been hashed over and over again.  I can't speak to his reasons for not getting the vaccination.  He hasn't made it public.  But if his reasons are because he doesn't trust what the long term effects may be, I seriously have to question that.  He is playing a sport that with one bad hit can leave you paralyzed.  Talk to Dennis Byrd.  Talk to Ryan Shazier.  Daryl Stingly is gone now, but look up what happened to him.  You are playing a sport that with one really bad hit can leave terrible long term effects on you.  The NFL has put big time rules down on the unvaccinated players.  If you say your true goal is to win a SB, why wouldn't you get the vax that millions have taken without any real side effects.  Why risk being told by the NFL a few days before a playoff game that you have to sit out?  In all honesty if the side effects from a vaccine that millions have taken scares you that much, are you really in the right profession?  Do the potential side effects of multiple concussions and possible paralysis not scare you more?  I just don't understand the logic there.  Maybe you shouldn't be playing football at all if the possible side effects from a vaccine make you that scared.  But again, he has not given his reason for not being vaccinated so it's really hard to make a judgement.  

• CantonJester likes this

#1005 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,251 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 03:35 AM

I know this has been hashed over and over again. I can't speak to his reasons for not getting the vaccination. He hasn't made it public. But if his reasons are because he doesn't trust what the long term effects may be, I seriously have to question that. He is playing a sport that with one bad hit can leave you paralyzed. Talk to Dennis Byrd. Talk to Ryan Shazier. Daryl Stingly is gone now, but look up what happened to him. You are playing a sport that with one really bad hit can leave terrible long term effects on you. The NFL has put big time rules down on the unvaccinated players. If you say your true goal is to win a SB, why wouldn't you get the vax that millions have taken without any real side effects. Why risk being told by the NFL a few days before a playoff game that you have to sit out? In all honesty if the side effects from a vaccine that millions have taken scares you that much, are you really in the right profession? Do the potential side effects of multiple concussions and possible paralysis not scare you more? I just don't understand the logic there. Maybe you shouldn't be playing football at all if the possible side effects from a vaccine make you that scared. But again, he has not given his reason for not being vaccinated so it's really hard to make a judgement.

Yet here you are judging whether or not a recent MVP should continue playing a sport he dominates at times because of his current vaccine status.

#1006 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 05:05 AM

I know this has been hashed over and over again.  I can't speak to his reasons for not getting the vaccination.  He hasn't made it public.  But if his reasons are because he doesn't trust what the long term effects may be, I seriously have to question that.  He is playing a sport that with one bad hit can leave you paralyzed.  Talk to Dennis Byrd.  Talk to Ryan Shazier.  Daryl Stingly is gone now, but look up what happened to him.  You are playing a sport that with one really bad hit can leave terrible long term effects on you.  The NFL has put big time rules down on the unvaccinated players.  If you say your true goal is to win a SB, why wouldn't you get the vax that millions have taken without any real side effects.  Why risk being told by the NFL a few days before a playoff game that you have to sit out?  In all honesty if the side effects from a vaccine that millions have taken scares you that much, are you really in the right profession?  Do the potential side effects of multiple concussions and possible paralysis not scare you more?  I just don't understand the logic there.  Maybe you shouldn't be playing football at all if the possible side effects from a vaccine make you that scared.  But again, he has not given his reason for not being vaccinated so it's really hard to make a judgement.  

Ok, I don't know what's in his mind and why he refuses to get vaccinated.  But mere logic tells you that you can whittle it down to a few reasons, unless it's something truly bizarre and personal to him.  I've heard all the excuses countless times and none of them are based in any reality or have scientific data to back them up.  So, if Jackson continues to be unvaccinated, there's a great chance it's for reasons I've heard already.  My guess is he'll just continue to say he doesn't want to talk about it because he knows his fears are basically ridiculous and irresponsible.  Not to mention, he doesn't want to hear the backlash.  Can't wait to hear his response to the first reporter to ask him the question.  

#1007 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 06:58 AM

Jesus I can’t believe this debate taken up this much of this thread for this long. So much other stuff to talk about on a sports site. Sheesh.

#1008 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 07:32 AM

Players have a platform. It’s extremely dangerous to use it to explain to the world why you didn’t or won’t get vaccinated. It empowers and emboldens the people who can get vaccinated but won’t even more. People see their favorite athletes (or now new favorite athletes based on this decision, which makes me sick. You should see how many Cole Beasley fans there are now on social media all of a sudden) say they won’t, they follow their lead, and more people die. It’s that simple.

If I’m the Ravens PR team, Lamar isn’t taking to the podium until at least the regular season when questions ought to be about the game. If at all even then. Don’t give the reporter a chance to ask, don’t give a person the platform to continue spreading disinformation. If they do let him take the podium, I hope the question is “will you get vaccinated when you can?” Yes, good. No, follow up question, “do you worry that with the influence you have, people may follow your lead and end up affecting their loved ones in a negative way?”

Frankly, the reason he wasn’t vaxxed is irrelevant. To my knowledge he is a healthy individual without some medical contraindication. Basically any answer to “why weren’t you vaccinated,” is the wrong answer.
  • You Play to Win the Game and CantonJester like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#1009 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,251 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 08:25 AM

Players have a platform. It’s extremely dangerous to use it to explain to the world why you didn’t or won’t get vaccinated. It empowers and emboldens the people who can get vaccinated but won’t even more. People see their favorite athletes (or now new favorite athletes based on this decision, which makes me sick. You should see how many Cole Beasley fans there are now on social media all of a sudden) say they won’t, they follow their lead, and more people die. It’s that simple.

If I’m the Ravens PR team, Lamar isn’t taking to the podium until at least the regular season when questions ought to be about the game. If at all even then. Don’t give the reporter a chance to ask, don’t give a person the platform to continue spreading disinformation. If they do let him take the podium, I hope the question is “will you get vaccinated when you can?” Yes, good. No, follow up question, “do you worry that with the influence you have, people may follow your lead and end up affecting their loved ones in a negative way?”

Frankly, the reason he wasn’t vaxxed is irrelevant. To my knowledge he is a healthy individual without some medical contraindication. Basically any answer to “why weren’t you vaccinated,” is the wrong answer.

He'll be asked questions about the vaccination status. He can answer them any way he likes. He can also chose not to answer them. This is his choice, not the Ravens' PR department. You're correct, he does have a platform and like it or not, he can use it any way he wishes. I'm glad he's back in camp.

#1010 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 09:41 AM

He'll be asked questions about the vaccination status. He can answer them any way he likes. He can also chose not to answer them. This is his choice, not the Ravens' PR department. You're correct, he does have a platform and like it or not, he can use it any way he wishes. I'm glad he's back in camp.

I’m glad he’s back too. But it is up to the PR staff who they put on the podium. I’m sure everyone in the media was hoping Lamar would be available for questions after his first practice back. But he wasn’t. When I’ve been out to camp for the site, the PR folks come over to the media after practice and let them know which three people they are going to make available. Always Harbaugh, plus two others.

The Ravens literally could just not have Lamar get in front of a mic. But there is a social media platform where he can just say anything. He’s not been vocal about his situation on there. Which I respect. If reporters have locker room access when games start, they could just walk up to Lamar and ask him anything. I know they have had that access in the past during the open practice at the stadium, been there for that. Not sure if game days are different rules. Haven’t been there for that.

They did have Justin Houston talk yesterday. I didn’t listen to it. Don’t know if his vax opinion was asked about since he is unvaccinated.

It’s only cause it’s the franchise QB this is a big deal. When it was Edwards who got it first it was like, ok, whatever.
@BSLMikeRandall

#1011 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 10:06 AM

Jesus I can’t believe this debate taken up this much of this thread for this long. So much other stuff to talk about on a sports site. Sheesh.

Agreed.

#1012 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 10:33 AM

Yea. Pretty much.

Weird. Don't remember mentioning Polio at all. I remember saying threatening employment termination and someone's way of life in exchange for a vaccine that's not even fully approved by the FDA is what a communist nation would do. I'm pro-vaccine. I think people who can get it, should. But I also don't think the government or corporations should be forcing anyone to get something they don't feel comfortable getting. Especially when it's the first RNA vaccine to be used for mass human consumption. We're not talking about a proven vaccine that's been around like Polio, chicken pox ect. I'm done with this conversation. It constantly goes nowhere. Back to Ravens training camp and football news....

#1013 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 11:49 AM

Weird. Don't remember mentioning Polio at all. I remember saying threatening employment termination and someone's way of life in exchange for a vaccine that's not even fully approved by the FDA is what a communist nation would do. I'm pro-vaccine. I think people who can get it, should. But I also don't think the government or corporations should be forcing anyone to get something they don't feel comfortable getting. Especially when it's the first RNA vaccine to be used for mass human consumption. We're not talking about a proven vaccine that's been around like Polio, chicken pox ect. I'm done with this conversation. It constantly goes nowhere. Back to Ravens training camp and football news....

When the polio vaccination came out, it was brand new for human consumption as well. Now that disease is entirely eradicated because people were willing to trust science.

The fact of the matter is that no vaccine in human history has ever caused any kind of widespread or common negative reactions or physical damage. Trying to pretend as though this one is any different simply isn't intellectually honest, and only perpetuates the baseless fear that has one third of the country refusing to get the shot. Those people are very likely to get very sick or die if they contract covid.

The unfortunate reality is that the vaccination is a very real part of ravens discussion, because the best player on the team, and the one who is most critical to their success, refuses to protect himself and his team from sudden and uncontrollable forfeiture of games, and/or any chance at a Super Bowl. In addition to that, he refuses to protect his career longevity from a disease that has been proven to damage the heart and lungs.

Again, I have zero patience for this bullshit. I'm likely going to lose family members this year because they refuse to get vaccinated. My family, like millions of others, is likely going to be irreparably changed because of the disinformation campaign of people who are using people's fear to get rich.

As far as I'm concerned he can get vaccinated or get out. Is that unfair? I don't care. I'm over it. They make people vaccinate to go to public school. They make people vaccinate to go to college. I couldn't give a tiny rats ass if they make people vaccinate to go back to work. If they want to lose their job over their baseless fear, that's on them.
  • You Play to Win the Game, Chris B, Nigel Tufnel and 2 others like this

#1014 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 12:03 PM

When the polio vaccination came out, it was brand new for human consumption as well. Now that disease is entirely eradicated because people were willing to trust science.

The fact of the matter is that no vaccine in human history has ever caused any kind of widespread or common negative reactions or physical damage. Trying to pretend as though this one is any different simply isn't intellectually honest, and only perpetuates the baseless fear that has one third of the country refusing to get the shot. Those people are very likely to get very sick or die if they contract covid.

The unfortunate reality is that the vaccination is a very real part of ravens discussion, because the best player on the team, and the one who is most critical to their success, refuses to protect himself and his team from sudden and uncontrollable forfeiture of games, and/or any chance at a Super Bowl. In addition to that, he refuses to protect his career longevity from a disease that has been proven to damage the heart and lungs.

Again, I have zero patience for this bullshit. I'm likely going to lose family members this year because they refuse to get vaccinated. My family, like millions of others, is likely going to be irreparably changed because of the disinformation campaign of people who are using people's fear to get rich.

As far as I'm concerned he can get vaccinated or get out. Is that unfair? I don't care. I'm over it. They make people vaccinate to go to public school. They make people vaccinate to go to college. I couldn't give a tiny rats ass if they make people vaccinate to go back to work. If they want to lose their job over their baseless fear, that's on them.

Well said.  Incredible what people believe today and it's a sad commentary on the collective stupidity of this Country.  I'm at the point now where if that's the way these people want to roll, they get sick and die, so be it.  They had their chance for a free vaccine and chose to buy into the political BS and other social media rubbish.  And because of the millions of simpletons out there, the pandemic will march merrily on, overwhelm hospitals, staff, probably cause school systems to close again, possibly shut down businesses and the deaths will mount ever so closer to a million.  And the ones who end up in ICU with a ventilator shoved down their throat and ultimately die, it will be the Lamar Jacksons of the world, not the other way around. 

• CantonJester likes this

#1015 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 08 August 2021 - 12:16 PM

You make some good points about his contract situation. However, barring a catastrophic injury, Jackson will get paid regardless of his vaccination status.

This is 100% true.

#1016 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 08 August 2021 - 12:24 PM

BTW, not to overly contribute to the vax/anti-vax thing further (I think most of what needed to be said has been said, and yall know my opinion at this point), Lamar did a post-and-delete on IG of this on his story, which should give a little more insight to his mindset on the vaccine:

https://twitter.com/...2436783110?s=20

In completely different news (and only related to social media because I really don't do a ton of watching until the preseason games), apparently Oweh is a Scott Steiner style genetic freak, lol! If he's an instant impact player that would be a huge, huge jolt to this team.

#1017 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 12:25 PM

Like I said. Done with the convo. On to new ravens training camp news. Jackson and his vaccination status has been beat to death. Create a new topic if you want to continue this discussion. Spending 10 pages repeating the same stuff over and over is getting frustrating.

#1018 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 08 August 2021 - 12:39 PM

Like I said. Done with the convo. On to new ravens training camp news. Jackson and his vaccination status has been beat to death. Create a new topic if you want to continue this discussion. Spending 10 pages repeating the same stuff over and over is getting frustrating.

Not delving further but I WOULD say that the availability of the best player on the team by far (and maybe the most important to a team since the Ravens became a thing) would garner this much conversation, especially since the topic is so divisive.

I'm not sure if you are into college basketball, but this reminds me of when Kendall Marshall broke his wrist in the 2012 NCAA tournament, except if Marshall broke it by getting into a car accident and not wearing a seatbelt. Like, this absolutely destroyed UNC message boards for months, long after UNC was out of the tournament. 

#1019 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,251 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 12:41 PM

BTW, not to overly contribute to the vax/anti-vax thing further (I think most of what needed to be said has been said, and yall know my opinion at this point), Lamar did a post-and-delete on IG of this on his story, which should give a little more insight to his mindset on the vaccine:

In completely different news (and only related to social media because I really don't do a ton of watching until the preseason games), apparently Oweh is a Scott Steiner style genetic freak, lol! If he's an instant impact player that would be a huge, huge jolt to this team.

IIRC Scott Steiner was a good guy and not a heel correct? All kidding aside, that's pretty exciting. It gives me something to look for during preseason.
  • The Epic and PrimeTime like this

#1020 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 01:05 PM

If Jackson is posting that crap, I'm done with him. Done. What a freaking idiot.

I'm calling it now. Any long-term extension with him is going to backfire big time. I'm ready to move on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=