#981 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 12:07 PM

Couple of things...

1) Mike isn't a mod, he is a contributor.

2) Mike suggesting a vaccination clause in his contract... is Ravens related.

3) You have to have a Meningitis shot to go to college... you have to have a Measles shot to go to public schools. I don't see a difference... but whatever. (70%+ now vaccinated in the US, less than 0.1% infected. That's 180M people.)

Slam dunk accurate.

#982 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 01:25 PM

1.) Semantics. He is involved with the site and it's topics more intimately than others.

2.) My argument isn't against vaccinations. I for one am pro-vaccine. But I'm also of the mind that forcing people to get something against their will in return for employment is flat out wrong.

3.) I like Mike. I like reading his articles. I like most of his posts.

We just had like 5 pages of discussion about this. It's annoying that every time we get back on track with actual Ravens talk, someone has to bring it back in to the fold.

I don’t want to drive people away. Thank you for reading the articles.

My post before was a half hearted joke. I put a smiley on the end to express that, but I know context can get lost in text. But that comment wasn’t supposed to be taken seriously.

My next one about a vax clause. I’ll ignore the communist remark and keep it football related.

When Michael Vick went to jail, when Sean Taylor was killed, those teams had to bring forth any guaranteed money on those players contracts in the upcoming year(s). Just as if they were released/traded, or the player retired.

The cap numbers these days are astounding, and Lamar will get paid an astounding number. If for some reason, Josh Allen, who just signed the latest mega deal, can’t play football after 2021 for whatever reason, the dead number the Bills would carry in 2022 is $93M+. Or spread over two years something like $62M then $31M (I think).

Ryquell Amrstead was a healthy young man drafted in 2019. Had 2 bouts of Covid last year and the second one took a serious toll on his health. Jags released him. This summer he was signed by the Giants and released a month later because physically he never returned to form.

If Lamar gets it a third time, fourth time, a worse variant develops we don’t even know about yet, he either physically cant play anymore, or worse…a $90M+ cap hit over two years, well, detrimental to the team would be a huge understatement. I wouldn’t even know where a team would start to remedy that situation.

Ignoring that morbid hypothetical…They don’t have to put it in his contract. But I’m not willing to go long term deal or mega guaranteed money with someone who is the absolute most important player on the team who won’t get vaccinated. I don’t want him catching this in January, effectively ending the Ravens season for, whatever reason is in his head that he doesn’t need the shot.

Who knows? My stance is if he won’t get vaccinated, then I would see how the virus plays out before negotiating a deal with nine figures of guaranteed money. With his option year, franchise tags, the Ravens can drag this out to 2025 if they want to. It would get ugly, but they could.
  • CantonJester likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#983 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 01:35 PM

As others have reiterated numerous times, Jackson is just being selfish and trying to prove a point like almost everyone is that refuses to get vaccinated.  It's a shame he's bought into the political/social media nonsense and won't even think about anyone but himself.  Of course, we could be assuming a lot and he will in fact get vaccinated.  Only time will tell because you better believe a reporter is going to ask him that.  If he continues to say he doesn't want to discuss it, you'll get your answer right then and there. 

#984 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 02:01 PM

Have we heard him say why he hasn't received the vaccine. Doesn't have to be something political/ social media/conspiracy theory related. Could be he's just a 24 yr old that doesn't give Covid any real thought. Seems a lot of younger adults/kids dont.
  • Huddle It Up Films likes this

#985 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 02:17 PM

Have we heard him say why he hasn't received the vaccine. Doesn't have to be something political/ social media/conspiracy thepry related. Could be he's just a 24 yr old that doesn't really give Covid any real thought. Seems a lot of younger adults/kids dont.

After having the virus twice now, that wouldn't be saying much for his intelligence. 

#986 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 03:33 PM

After having the virus twice now, that wouldn't be saying much for his intelligence.

Kids that age think they're invincible. I know he said the first time he had it he had some significant symptoms but he was back playing as soon as he could. Dont know how his body handled it this time but again hes back practicing as soon as he was able. Not trying to justify, just attempting to remember how I may have responded at the same age. He just seems like a lot of kids his age. Still a bit immature and selfish.

#987 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 07 August 2021 - 03:37 PM

Yeah. Forced vaccinations... Imagine a country where the elites no longer suggest what everyone below them should do. They now just start forcing them to do it by threatening their employment and way of life. That's the kind of country we should strive to be...

I come here to talk football and see varying opinions on the Ravens and their players. If every 10 posts someone (a mod at that) is going to bring this BS up, I'm going to find somewhere else. Their are other areas to discuss making America more communist on this very site. Use those please.

Back to Ravens football please...

Without ‘forced’ government intervention, you’d be bed bound with polio. Or measles. Or smallpox. People like you are why we need to mandate things. Like seatbelts!

If everyone was forced to get a shot, this would be over already.
  • You Play to Win the Game, The Epic, JordanKough and 1 other like this

@fuzydunlop

#988 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 07 August 2021 - 03:37 PM

Have we heard him say why he hasn't received the vaccine. Doesn't have to be something political/ social media/conspiracy theory related. Could be he's just a 24 yr old that doesn't really give Covid any real thought. Seems a lot of younger adults/kids dont.

Delta affects everyone. Young included.

@fuzydunlop

#989 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 03:54 PM

Without ‘forced’ government intervention, you’d be bed bound with polio. Or measles. Or smallpox. People like you are why we need to mandate things. Like seatbelts!

If everyone was forced to get a shot, this would be over already.

Who are people like me?

#990 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 04:07 PM

Who are people like me?

People who think that requiring the polio vaccine is Communism?
  • Pedro Cerrano, Mashed Potatoes, McNulty and 2 others like this

#991 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 04:19 PM

My post before was a half hearted joke. I put a smiley on the end to express that, but I know context can get lost in text. But that comment wasn’t supposed to be taken seriously.

My next one about a vax clause. I’ll ignore the communist remark and keep it football related.

When Michael Vick went to jail, when Sean Taylor was killed, those teams had to bring forth any guaranteed money on those players contracts in the upcoming year(s). Just as if they were released/traded, or the player retired.

The cap numbers these days are astounding, and Lamar will get paid an astounding number. If for some reason, Josh Allen, who just signed the latest mega deal, can’t play football after 2021 for whatever reason, the dead number the Bills would carry in 2022 is $93M+. Or spread over two years something like $62M then $31M (I think).

Ryquell Amrstead was a healthy young man drafted in 2019. Had 2 bouts of Covid last year and the second one took a serious toll on his health. Jags released him. This summer he was signed by the Giants and released a month later because physically he never returned to form.

If Lamar gets it a third time, fourth time, a worse variant develops we don’t even know about yet, he either physically cant play anymore, or worse…a $90M+ cap hit over two years, well, detrimental to the team would be a huge understatement. I wouldn’t even know where a team would start to remedy that situation.

Ignoring that morbid hypothetical…They don’t have to put it in his contract. But I’m not willing to go long term deal or mega guaranteed money with someone who is the absolute most important player on the team who won’t get vaccinated. I don’t want him catching this in January, effectively ending the Ravens season for, whatever reason is in his head that he doesn’t need the shot.

Who knows? My stance is if he won’t get vaccinated, then I would see how the virus plays out before negotiating a deal with nine figures of guaranteed money. With his option year, franchise tags, the Ravens can drag this out to 2025 if they want to. It would get ugly, but they could.

Couldn't agree more.

I'll go a step further. If Lamar doesn't want to get vaccinated, I don't want him getting a mega-deal. He's gotten covid twice in 9 months. Covid isn't going away. Every year he doesn't get vaccinated is a year that the Ravens entire season could end due to completely preventable stupidity on his part. They've done lung scans and heart scans on people who had even mild symptoms, and they show significant damage. Any bout with covid could end his career, or at least reduce his physical skills to the point that he is no longer special. If the last year is any indicator, we can probably expect him to get it at least once a year until he grows up or dies.

My disappointment in him can't be exaggerated. He is not only putting his own health at risk, but every Ravens season as well for as long as he refuses to vaccinate. My respect for him has plummeted and I root for him only because he wears purple. I'll feel that way until he grows up and does the right thing.

And if he doesn't, he can go be someone else's problem. I'm out of patience for this crap.

#992 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 04:24 PM

Balt SunRavens QB Lamar Jackson, ‘hit pretty hard’ by COVID infection, impresses in camp debut

#993 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 05:48 PM

As others have reiterated numerous times, Jackson is just being selfish and trying to prove a point like almost everyone is that refuses to get vaccinated.  It's a shame he's bought into the political/social media nonsense and won't even think about anyone but himself.  Of course, we could be assuming a lot and he will in fact get vaccinated.  Only time will tell because you better believe a reporter is going to ask him that.  If he continues to say he doesn't want to discuss it, you'll get your answer right then and there. 

Having already had it maybe he believed the talk about once having it you don't get it again. That has been proven wrong. Don't know if he caught the Delta variant which seems to be a milder case. Not much was said about his health.

#994 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 06:08 PM

Having already had it maybe he believed the talk about once having it you don't get it again. That has been proven wrong. Don't know if he caught the Delta variant which seems to be a milder case. Not much was said about his health.

According to Harbs on the news this evening, Lamar did have symptoms but to what severity, I have no idea.  You're only going to get the Pollyanna take from Harbaugh.  

#995 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 06:18 PM

Couldn't agree more.

I'll go a step further. If Lamar doesn't want to get vaccinated, I don't want him getting a mega-deal. He's gotten covid twice in 9 months. Covid isn't going away. Every year he doesn't get vaccinated is a year that the Ravens entire season could end due to completely preventable stupidity on his part. They've done lung scans and heart scans on people who had even mild symptoms, and they show significant damage. Any bout with covid could end his career, or at least reduce his physical skills to the point that he is no longer special. If the last year is any indicator, we can probably expect him to get it at least once a year until he grows up or dies.

My disappointment in him can't be exaggerated. He is not only putting his own health at risk, but every Ravens season as well for as long as he refuses to vaccinate. My respect for him has plummeted and I root for him only because he wears purple. I'll feel that way until he grows up and does the right thing.

And if he doesn't, he can go be someone else's problem. I'm out of patience for this crap.

I've worked around a lot of young people in his age range and in today's world, 24's maturity level is closer to 16.  It's just the way it is. Kids today are brutally immature for their age for reasons both social and family rooted.  So, as a few have mentioned, maybe I'm expecting a bit much from him to do the right, adult thing.  Never the less, grown ups around him, including his mother, should be in his ear about it, not to mention all his teammates that have been vaccinated and tried to set an example.  I'm also disappointed in his behavior and his utter disregard for others around him and how his actions may impact his career in a negative way.  Unfortunately, there's not much anyone can do about it until the NFL forces every player to get vaccinated.  And if they don't, they don't play or get paid. Guarantee you, Lamar would be running to the table to get his "toxic" jab. 

#996 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 06:25 PM

I've worked around a lot of young people in his age range and in today's world, 24's maturity level is closer to 16. It's just the way it is. Kids today are brutally immature for their age for reasons both social and family rooted. So, as a few have mentioned, maybe I'm expecting a bit much from him to do the right, adult thing. Never the less, grown ups around him, including his mother, should be in his ear about it, not to mention all his teammates that have been vaccinated and tried to set an example. I'm also disappointed in his behavior and his utter disregard for others around him and how his actions may impact his career in a negative way. Unfortunately, there's not much anyone can do about it until the NFL forces every player to get vaccinated. And if they don't, they don't play or get paid. Guarantee you, Lamar would be running to the table to get his "toxic" jab.

I teach middle school. Many if not most of the kids have been vaccinated, and were excited to get it.

He either has to be especially immature or especially stupid. Both are bad.

#997 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 06:25 PM

Not to get into it, but Delta is NOT milder.

#998 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 07:11 PM

Not to get into it, but Delta is NOT milder.

Yeah, I don't know where that crap came from.  It's not only six times more contagious than the original strain but encompasses more symptoms.  If you're vaccinated(don't tell Lamar), the viral level dropped off dramatically in a few days where the unvaccinated are headed to the hospital and are in deep shit.   Simple as that. 

#999 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 07:15 PM

Yeah, I don't know where that crap came from. It's not only six times more contagious than the original strain but encompasses more symptoms. If you're vaccinated(don't tell Lamar), the viral level dropped off dramatically in a few days where the unvaccinated are headed to the hospital and are in deep shit. Simple as that.

Lung scans of those who have breakthrough infections after vaccination and those who got infected without vaccination are also vastly different. And that's if they get a breakthrough infection, which is still relatively rare.

#1000 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,251 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 07:41 PM

You make some good points about his contract situation. However, barring a catastrophic injury, Jackson will get paid regardless of his vaccination status.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=