786 replies to this topic

#401 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 03:51 PM

The skull fractures seem impossible to explain imo.

She was into abusive sex, and Bauer beat the living sh..t out of her, cracked her skull so that she passed out, and then he proceeded to rape her anally. 

If, in front of witnesses I ask you to kill me, and you do, you will be arrested and face charges for murder despite the fulfillment of my wishes. 

IMO, this wasn't BDSM so much as it was an an edge-lording, power-tripping psychopath who wanted to see the look of terror in a woman who realized he was ignoring the safe word. 

Everything we know about Trevor Bauer suggests the latter rather than the former.

#402 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 03:53 PM

If she asked/agreed to be hit and that's the result, is it a crime?  I don't know.  If a boxer fractures his opponent's skull or nose, that's not a crime.

Since both sides seem to agree on what happened, this case appears to come down solely to what was consented to and what wasn't.  If anything was not consented to, then Bauer should be in trouble for that.  I don't know legally where the burden of proof is, if she needs to prove something wasn't consented to or he needs to prove each thing was.  And it's especially tricky since some things were clearly agreed to but the complaint is that others were not, and it's not like they got lawyers involved ahead of time and spelled out exactly what was agreed to and what wasn't.  So she may have thought they were agreeing to one thing, and Bauer thought they were agreeing to some far more extreme variation of that.  I don't know what the legal standard is, but I would side with her in that regard, if Bauer is initiating an act, he's gotta be sure he's got consent to do it.  So, just to make up an example, if they agreed ahead of time to "hitting" which she interpreted as slapping but Bauer thought meant punching, then he should be in trouble for punching her.

You are way, way overthinking this.

#403 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 July 2021 - 06:59 PM

It's been a pretty awful 7 days when it comes to the movement against sexual assault/domestic violence.

#404 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:28 PM

I realize that it's difficult to give someone the benefit of being " innocent until being proven guilty" in this day and age, but this does not look good for Bauer. As Stoner stated, the fractured skull after the second encounter seems damning to me.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#405 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:59 AM

I realize that it's difficult to give someone the benefit of being " innocent until being proven guilty" in this day and age, but this does not look good for Bauer. As Stoner stated, the fractured skull after the second encounter seems damning to me.

Innocent until proven guilty is a legal standard.  As outside observers we're not beholden to that.  His employer isn't beholden to that either, so if the Dodgers wanted to suspend him or kick him off the team because of these accusations, they absolutely can.  MLB/MLBPA rules may state that they still have to pay him, I'm not sure about that.

#406 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:59 AM

ESPN: Vlad Jr., Tatis, Ohtani lead way for ASG starters

https://www.espn.com...r-game-starters

AMERICAN LEAGUE

C: Salvador Perez, Royals (seventh All-Star Game). He earns his sixth starting assignment.

2B: Marcus Semien, Blue Jays (first). With 20 home runs, he beat out Jose Altuve.

3B: Rafael Devers, Red Sox (first). He's hitting .288 with 20 home runs and an MLB-leading 69 RBIs.

SS: Xander Bogaerts, Red Sox (third). He edged Bo Bichette and Carlos Correa to receive his second All-Star start.

OF: Mike Trout, Angels (ninth). He's out until after the All-Star break with a calf injury and will be replaced in the starting lineup.

OF: Aaron Judge, Yankees (third). He also started in 2017 and '18.

OF: Teoscar Hernandez, Blue Jays (first). He barely edged the injured Byron Buxton for the third spot. With Guerrero Jr., Semien and Hernandez, the Blue Jays will be the third team over the past 75 seasons to have three or more first-time All-Stars start the game.

NATIONAL LEAGUE

C: Buster Posey, Giants (seventh). After sitting out 2020, Posey is hitting .330 with 12 home runs and will start for the first time since 2017.

1B: Freddie Freeman, Braves (fifth). The 2020 NL MVP has been heating up of late and beat out Max Muncy and Anthony Rizzo.

2B: Adam Frazier, Pirates (first). Frazier entered Thursday hitting .327 and becomes the first Pirates player voted in as a starter since Andrew McCutchen in 2015 (Josh Bell started at DH in 2019).
3B: Nolan Arenado, Cardinals (sixth). The eight-time Gold Glover will make his fourth straight start at third base for the NL, although with a new team this time.

OF: Ronald Acuna Jr., Braves (second). The 23-year-old leads the NL in runs while ranking among the league leaders in home runs and steals.

OF: Nick Castellanos, Reds (first). He began Thursday leading the majors in batting average (.346), hits (102) and doubles (27).

OF: Jesse Winker, Reds (first). Winker and Castellanos will become the first Reds outfielders to start an All-Star Game since Ken Griffey Jr. in 2007. Winker edged out Mookie Betts for the third spot.

The rest of the All-Star rosters, chosen through a combination of player voting and commissioner's office selections, will be announced on July 4 at 5:30 p.m. ET on ESPN.

#407 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 01:14 PM

Innocent until proven guilty is a legal standard. As outside observers we're not beholden to that. His employer isn't beholden to that either, so if the Dodgers wanted to suspend him or kick him off the team because of these accusations, they absolutely can. MLB/MLBPA rules may state that they still have to pay him, I'm not sure about that.

I think the MLBPA would fight for Bauer if the Dodgers or MLB suspended him without pay. However, MLB can place him on administrative leave for seven days to get more information about the incidents. Bauer will still be paid and he can appeal. The Dodgers have stated that Bauer will start on Sunday. I don't think they are going to suspend him at this point.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#408 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 01:16 PM

Bauer placed on the 7-day administrative leave list by MLB.

MLB can request to extend the leave another 7 days, but would need MLBPA approval to do so.  If extended, Bauer then goes on a restricted list and wouldn't count against the Dodgers 40-man roster.  After the leave is complete, MLB has to reinstate or suspend the player.  Bauer gets paid while on administrative leave, but wouldn't get paid if suspended.

The Dodgers are not taking any action on their own.  They were going to start him on Sunday if MLB hadn't placed him on leave.  Not a fan of that decision.

#409 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 08:14 AM

ESPN: MLB Power Rankings Week 13 - Who is No. 1 at the season's halfway point?

https://www.espn.com...n-halfway-point

#410 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 05:38 PM

Just caught up on all the Bauer stuff. I googled some of the California laws. There was a “yes means yes” law that was passed in 2014. It reads like it is targeted more towards college students (those being more likely to get sexually assaulted while passed out). But assuming it applies to all people, the law states, "Lack of protest or resistance does not mean consent, nor does silence mean consent. Affirmative consent must be ongoing throughout a sexual activity and can be revoked at any time."

I interpret that as Bauer has to stop sexual activity, period, full stop, once consent is no longer “ongoing”. She doesn’t have the ability to revoke consent, or even use a safe word if it got too rough, if passed out.

Given Bauer’s power, fame, money, color, he probably pays for this to go away. At most a sexual battery charge, which reads as, Offensive contact of intimate parts. “Offensive contact means contact that offends a reasonable sense of personal dignity.” Intimate parts, pretty self explanatory. Punishment for sexual battery is paying for damages. So Bauer pays for this to away, foots her medical bills.

Probably back on the mound in a week, despite having sex with, and beating halfway to death an unconscious woman.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#411 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 07:03 PM

Re Bauer
https://www.beyondth...impression=true
  • Mike in STL likes this

#412 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 07:12 AM

FanGraphs: State Of The Org: National League

#413 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 07:13 AM

CBS Sports: MLB All-Star Game: Max Scherzer and Chris Bassitt headline the list of snubs

https://www.cbssport...-list-of-snubs/

#414 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 08:39 AM

CBS Sports: 2021 MLB All-Star Game: Manny Machado, Tim Anderson, Max Scherzer, headline players named as replacements

https://www.cbssport...s-replacements/

#415 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 07:12 PM

Derby starting...Mancini coming up.

#416 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 07:23 PM

Trey caught fire...19! And earned a bonus minute.

#417 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 07:23 PM

19 homers for Mancini.

So far I guess, this format is confusing.

#418 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 07:25 PM

23!

#419 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip