786 replies to this topic

#321 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,061 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 04:20 PM

I think the first guy who should be looked at is Lance Lynn of the " Spinning" White Sox. He has somehow rejuvenated his career ( 7-1 1.23 ERA) while throwing a 94 mph 4 seamer. It was clear to me that he had rosin on the back of his hat and something under his brim when he trash talked Orioles hitters after shutting them down in Commiskey Park. Somewhere, Eddie Cicotte was smirking.

Let's do that after the season though. I have him on most of my fantasy teams. :)

• russsnyder likes this

#322 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 03:50 AM

Let's do that after the season though. I have him on most of my fantasy teams. :)

As his manager, tell him to tone it down a bit. He's bringing hateful attention on himself with his antics.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#323 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 06:03 AM

He's the worst commissioner of my lifetime. He's worse than Selig and that's saying something.

Fay Vincent was pretty bad too.

Pretty much all the commish have been bad.

I cant remember in my lifetime, a decent commish.

How can about forgot Bowie Kuhn and how free agency was going to ruin the game of baseball? :)

#324 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:18 AM

CBS Sports: MLB trade candidates: One hitter and one pitcher potential sellers could move before deadline

https://www.cbssport...efore-deadline/

#325 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:13 PM

Fay Vincent was pretty bad too.

Pretty much all the commish have been bad.

I cant remember in my lifetime, a decent commish.

How can about forgot Bowie Kuhn and how free agency was going to ruin the game of baseball? :)

You are correct, they all have been pretty bad. Manfred can seem to get out of his own way.

Kuhn and Uebberoth were definitely putty in the owner's hands.

#326 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:40 PM

Kuhn and Uebberoth were definitely putty in the owner's hands.

That's literally the commissioner's job description, though.

#327 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:44 PM

The puppet of the owners to manage the game in the best interests of the owners.

Nobody is going to stand up and bite the hand that feeds them.

#328 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:52 PM

Manfred is awful, but of course the commish is going to do the owners bidding.  These clowns are getting 40-50 M a year.\

There are not many jobs out there, paying that much.  I looked.  :-P

@mikeghg

#329 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 01:04 PM

The owners hire the commissioner, but the two I mentioned by name were pretty much anti union. I don't think the commissioner's job should have been encouraging collusion like Uebberoth got caught doing.

#330 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 01:04 PM

The puppet of the owners to manage the game in the best interests of the owners.

Nobody is going to stand up and bite the hand that feeds them.

See my reply to Nigel.

#331 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 01:09 PM

Manfred is awful, but of course the commish is going to do the owners bidding. These clowns are getting 40-50 M a year.\

There are not many jobs out there, paying that much. I looked. :-P

They are clowns.

Maybe you'll luck into something paying tens of millions.

#332 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 01:24 PM

The owners hire the commissioner, but the two I mentioned by name were pretty much anti union. I don't think the commissioner's job should have been encouraging collusion like Uebberoth got caught doing.

Your original complaint was that they were putty in the owners' hands, but now you seem to be complaining that they went rogue?

#333 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 01:32 PM

Your original complaint was that they were putty in the owners' hands, but now you seem to be complaining that they went rogue?

Where did I say they went rogue?

Uebberoth was so blatant in his approach that he got caught doing the owner's bidding.

Bowie Kuhn fought for the outdated reserve clause because that was the owner's hammer for decades.

#334 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 08:40 AM

Based on Garrett Cole's response to a question about doctoring the ball, it's safe to say he's been practicing it.

#335 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:28 AM

I recall Buck talking about this often.  To paraphrase, he was in favor of pitchers being able to use substances to command the ball.  He felt the balls were the issue, and wanted MLB to switch to the Japanese baseball which he described as tackier and able to be gripped without needing any foreign substances.

I agree about the distinction of things pitchers do to improve their grip (rosin, sunscreen, pine tar) being ok and should be at least tacitly approved or decriminalized.  But things pitchers do to doctor the baseball (thumb tacks, sand paper, emory board, etc) to make it spin and move more after release is cheating.  There is probably a tough distinction between the two in many cases depending on what is being used and how it is being used.  I haven't read much on what pitchers might be being using now to increase spin rates, but if some sort of glues or tacky substances are staying on the ball to make it spin more, or being used to create leverage to directly lead to higher movement, that should be stopped.  

• Old Man likes this

#336 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 June 2021 - 01:01 PM

Based on Garrett Cole's response to a question about doctoring the ball, it's safe to say he's been practicing it.

He seemed so unprepared for that, which is baffling. It can't be that hard to a Yankees PR person and tell him to just say "no comment" or "next question"

she/her

#337 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 03:42 PM

He seemed so unprepared for that, which is baffling. It can't be that hard to a Yankees PR person and tell him to just say "no comment" or "next question"

Nah. There's more to this. He's on the counsel, so he knows more than anybody in the room what is and what is not illegal. He also knows what they want to crack down on. 

#338 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:33 AM

ESPN: MLB Power Rankings Week 10 - Which AL team is our new No. 1?

https://www.espn.com...am-our-new-no-1

#339 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 03:30 PM

https://www.audacy.c...-josh-donaldson

Buck weighing in on the issue. Tells Josh Donaldson that he should not use pine tar or batting gloves if he wants to be " pure".

Hey Buck, the last time I checked pine tar and batting gloves are legal things for hitters to use. Despite you and other managers having a "gentleman's agreement" regarding pitcher's using the substance, pine tar is not a legal substance for pitchers.

All you and the other managers did was open the door for these guys to expand the use of these substances so that they eventually gained a decided advantage. I don't blame them one bit, but Buck does a poor job trying to justify his contribution to this problem with this weak position.

However, he does have a good suggestion in making pine rags available to all pitchers on the mound. It may be too practical an idea for MLB to use.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#340 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,107 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 05:14 PM

https://www.audacy.c...-josh-donaldson

Buck weighing in on the issue. Tells Josh Donaldson that he should not use pine tar or batting gloves if he wants to be " pure".

Hey Buck, the last time I checked pine tar and batting gloves are legal things for hitters to use. Despite you and other managers having a "gentleman's agreement" regarding pitcher's using the substance, pine tar is not a legal substance for pitchers.

All you and the other managers did was open the door for these guys to expand the use of these substances so that they eventually gained a decided advantage. I don't blame them one bit, but Buck does a poor job trying to justify his contribution to this problem with this weak position.

However, he does have a good suggestion in making pine rags available to all pitchers on the mound. It may be too practical an idea for MLB to use.

Meh. He's speaking on NY radio about Cole. Plus, I get the impression he's not a Donaldson fan( who the F is). I think its clear he wants an even playing field and no cheating. He made that clear with his idea that would need approval by the MLBPA and MLB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=