#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 January 2021 - 10:36 PM

Yeah that was a problem for Holtby when he first came up too remember? Was that Oates? Lots of offense but no D and they gave up way too many shots for him to do much about. He was facing like 45 a game.

I don’t think we are far off from that here. Roster wise we have good talent but we are really heavy on the offensive Dmen. Like one starter unbalanced maybe. Chara would fix that if he wasn’t older than me.

To me, It's starting to feel that way with Vanecek, just like it felt that way with Holtby, even though the results on paper weren't there, you could tell it wasn't his fault. 

It was nice seeing Ovi get the game winner in OT tonight, but they rightly gave the player of the game to Vanecek with his 40 saves. I do think he's flashing something here. But trying not to get too excited, and also kinda feel that the rule, rather than the exception, will be that the defense lets him down. So I'm being realistic about it. But I really, really continue to like what I see with him.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:27 AM

NBC Sports Washington: The Capitals may have a possession problem

https://www.nbcsport...session-problem

#43 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 February 2021 - 01:26 PM

Ovi is having one hell of a game against Philly today. Incredible. What a legend.

#44 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 February 2021 - 01:50 PM

Frustrating game though.

#45 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 February 2021 - 02:16 PM

This is the thing where you're letting the kid Pitcher take too many lumps and now he's got the yips. Vanecek has gotten abused pretty much every game so far. Today, Washington has allowed 15 SOG, and Vanecek has allowed 5 of them in the net. Terrible. But I don't blame him at all. 

#46 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 07 February 2021 - 05:42 PM

This is the thing where you're letting the kid Pitcher take too many lumps and now he's got the yips. Vanecek has gotten abused pretty much every game so far. Today, Washington has allowed 15 SOG, and Vanecek has allowed 5 of them in the net. Terrible. But I don't blame him at all. 

Yep. This is pretty much exactly how I saw things play out as soon as I heard who they hired. (didn't matter which goalie)

@JeremyMStrain

#47 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 07 February 2021 - 10:12 PM

You blaming Lavi?

Low shot volume/high quality shots are who flyers are this year.

@fuzydunlop

#48 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:38 PM

You blaming Lavi?

Low shot volume/high quality shots are who flyers are this year.

Not just this game. He likes to run his offense through defensemen (hence signing Schultz) and then leaves only one guy back who tends to get beat on odd breaks.

This has been happening to us all season but usually we get out ahead big and then let them come back and tie it up before winning in OT. So our points and record are hiding the fact we are giving up way too many shots and goals especially in the 2nd and 3rd.

A team like the Flyers who will wait and jump on the good chances are going to feast against a team that gives up dozens of quality chances a game.

With rookie goalies we needed to have a conservative D that could help watch out for them and keep the scoring and shot chances down. Lavi is just not that guy. He’s very similar to Boudreaux. Will put up an elite offense and will do well in the regular season but will have a rough time in the playoffs.
@JeremyMStrain

#49 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 February 2021 - 01:18 PM

Never should've parted ways with Trotz. Just a monumentally bad decision.
  • DuffMan and Mike in STL like this

#50 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 02:44 PM

Yeah but the money saved got two first round exits and two coaches since.

#51 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 February 2021 - 03:17 PM

Yeah but the money saved got two first round exits and two coaches since.

It wasn't about the money. It was about the ego and who got to claim credit for the Cup. By ousting Trotz, Ted and Mac have only cemented what we already knew--Trotz was the missing piece to bring us to the promised land.

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 08:58 AM

Capitals SB Nation: Sunday Caps Clip: Capitals @ Penguins Game Day
https://www.japersri...znetsov-schultz

#53 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:33 PM

Fire Lavi. I've seen enough. Terrible hire. Reirdon was better.

#54 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:40 PM

BTW, it is NOT going well for Holtby in Vancouver. Yikes.

#55 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:45 PM

Actually a pretty evenly matched game this afternoon, other than the scoreboard and face offs. That PP goal Vanecek gave up was pathetic. He's about toast. Not even his fault. But he's done.

#56 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 07:07 AM

Actually a pretty evenly matched game this afternoon, other than the scoreboard and face offs. That PP goal Vanecek gave up was pathetic. He's about toast. Not even his fault. But he's done.

Samsonov didn't have a stellar rehab start either, hopefully just rust.  Neither stand a chance with this defense.

#57 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 09:46 AM

Samsonov didn't have a stellar rehab start either, hopefully just rust. Neither stand a chance with this defense.

Yep. They made the right move signing a big named D tonsure things up. But making that an offensive minded Schultz instead of Schenn, Hamhuis, Pietrangelo was a mistake. I also really do t like when coaches get hung up on LH on L side. Cause you end up playing inferior players to try to get the matchups you want.

My daughter is a Lefty, but if she was playing right midfield it’d still be better than having a worse player on the right and a better player on the bench.
@JeremyMStrain

#58 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 February 2021 - 10:50 AM

It's sad when you want Reirdon back. Which I'd gladly take over this clown. Amazing how the village idiot (me) comes to that conclusion before the GM.

#59 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 February 2021 - 12:30 PM

I never liked the move, I'm just glad this group got the cup at least one time  (kind of like Ed Reed getting his ring).  Curious to see how the season after the Cup would have gone if Trotz was still around.

#60 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 05:28 PM

I never liked the move, I'm just glad this group got the cup at least one time (kind of like Ed Reed getting his ring). Curious to see how the season after the Cup would have gone if Trotz was still around.

I don’t know that I LIKED it but I understood it. This one I feel like they made in the panic of needing a veteran coach. T
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=