• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#21 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:55 PM

Watching the young goalie is fun.  It's all the stop gap goalies we had while waiting for some of these guys that drove me crazy.  No more Vokoun's!

Yeah, I'd rather have a young, potential and unknown than a re-tread from somewhere else. But I'm biases because I grew up with Bob Mason and then Beaupre. Then we had the uber-prospect Jim Carey who looked like he was going to be the best goalie in the universe...only to trade him away (they knew SOMETHING no one else did) and watch him implode. Then we had Kolzig forever. Then you get into those kinda gross years with Johnson, Huet, Theodore, and Vokoun with varying levels of starting and backing up. Then you've got Holtby carrying the reigns, and a bunch of next tier down guys like Varly, Neuvy, and all the other young guys.

Now we are at a new generation crossroads, and I feel like we had it laid out perfectly with King Henry as a one year mentor, stopgap before leaving it to Sammy next year...but c'est la vie. I just don't want them to trade McMichael and Alexi for a stud goalie. McMichael is going to be a STUD.

@JeremyMStrain

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:35 PM

Rough start for Samsonov, but the defense was really bad at times.

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:39 PM

Hathaway with an empty netter from down town seals it. Good guys get the 2 points to start the new campaign. The new skipper's gotta love the offensive production out of his D tonight.

#24 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:06 AM

Rough start for Samsonov, but the defense was really bad at times.

There’s that concern I mentioned yesterday. It wasn’t terrible until the 3rd but still not a great sign.
@JeremyMStrain

#25 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:53 PM

Well other VV looked better than Sammy did tonight. Really impressive honestly. Gave up a ton of PP tonight and he stood on his head.

Could be an interesting competition in net this year. Glad to see the D looked so much better tonight after crapping the bed last night.

2-1 win

2-0 on the year.
@JeremyMStrain

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:53 PM

Nice win tonight. You could see the adjustment to defensive hockey, but they were far too passive, which makes Vanecek's performance all the more impressive. Particularly, his 2nd period was phenomenal.

Anyway, I'll take the 4 points to start. Looking forward to Pittsburgh Sunday, who no doubt will be chippy in their home opener with zero points to their name.

#27 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:36 PM

Caps off to a good start this year.  I haven't watched any games yet but keep seeing them scoring goals on my facebook feed.  What is the early take?  Does Laviolette seem to be making a difference?  Is McMichael here to stay or is he just getting his feet wet?  

#28 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:44 PM

Caps off to a good start this year. I haven't watched any games yet but keep seeing them scoring goals on my facebook feed. What is the early take? Does Laviolette seem to be making a difference? Is McMichael here to stay or is he just getting his feet wet?

It’s ok points wise. But goalies are facing too many shots. Team making games way too close by giving up late goals because it’s an offensive minded team.

Very concerned about the defensive scheme. It’ll be ok in the regular season but will get us bounced in the first round of the playoffs.

Conor is pretty much ready. He should get integrated more and give him more experience. Although seems like they want to shelter him a bit still.
@JeremyMStrain

#29 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:15 PM

Yeah I'm not sold on the Lavi at all. The defense isn't lacking talent, but often looks out of assignment and confused. The hot start is due to playing Buffalo 4 of the first 7 games. That said, Vanecek looks the part to me. He's been encouraging. If the D clicks, they'll be alright. Need to see Ovi get going too.

#30 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:22 PM

Holy crap. Caps just erased a 3-0 deficit in a span of 2:04. 3-3 tie with the Isles and our old friend Barry Trotz.

@BSLMikeRandall

#31 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:28 PM

Holy crap. Caps just erased a 3-0 deficit in a span of 2:04. 3-3 tie with the Isles and our old friend Barry Trotz.

Spoke too soon. Make it 4-3 Caps, Carlson PP goal. Lol.

4 goals in 5:09

@BSLMikeRandall

#32 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:42 PM

Down 3-0 after 1. Up 5-3 after 2. Crazy. 43 year old Chara scored the 5th and the team goes ape.

@BSLMikeRandall

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:27 PM

Proud of them for rallying behind Vanecek. He didn't deserve his 1st period fate, and they got him back, like it should be.

#34 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 08:34 PM

I mean part of me isn’t sad that we keep winning and getting points. But that little speculation preview I made after we signed Lavi seems to be 100% spot on.

Lots of shots from the point. Weak D play because he wants them too involved in the offense. Too many shots at rookie goaltenders.

Let’s see how it plays out. The comeback the other night and what they’ve done without 4 of their best players is something else. But still really nervous for the playoffs. And that the goalies will look rough because of the poor D and they will make a stupid trade for a vet goalie.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#35 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 January 2021 - 08:35 PM

Agreed all around. I still love what I've seen from Vanecek though.

#36 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 08:41 PM

Agreed all around. I still love what I've seen from Vanecek though.

Yeah he’s impressed me a lot. I do t care who but I’d love to see one of them really step up and own the job. Of course that will be messy next year when we can only protect one for the expansion draft.
@JeremyMStrain

#37 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:10 PM

Yeah he’s impressed me a lot. I do t care who but I’d love to see one of them really step up and own the job. Of course that will be messy next year when we can only protect one for the expansion draft.

Hopefully one differentiates themselves from the other, that makes it easier. I do think both have it in them. I think their upside is limited with the defense playing like they are now. We'll see how this develops over the year.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:33 PM

Tonight just a classic example of the problem. Terrible defense after getting out to a 3-0 lead against Boston. Give up the 3rd and tying goal with 58 seconds left. Completely leaving Vanecek out to dry.

#39 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:36 PM

Tonight just a classic example of the problem. Terrible defense after getting out to a 3-0 lead against Boston. Give up the 3rd and tying goal with 58 seconds left. Completely leaving Vanecek out to dry.

Yep. About how I thought it’d go :/. Got a point. Didn’t lose. But never should have gone to OT. This is going to be a real problem in the first round.
@JeremyMStrain

#40 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:41 PM

Hopefully one differentiates themselves from the other, that makes it easier. I do think both have it in them. I think their upside is limited with the defense playing like they are now. We'll see how this develops over the year.

Yeah that was a problem for Holtby when he first came up too remember? Was that Oates? Lots of offense but no D and they gave up way too many shots for him to do much about. He was facing like 45 a game.

I don’t think we are far off from that here. Roster wise we have good talent but we are really heavy on the offensive Dmen. Like one starter unbalanced maybe. Chara would fix that if he wasn’t older than me.
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=