#601 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,542 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:39 AM

The game, and society is better off without racists who can't even stand to watch a football game because people are fighting for equality. Good riddance. That's a positive consequence, not a negative one, IMO. Long term view.

• 85Knight and JStruds like this

#602 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:11 PM

Same here, and on a few we were probably wrong, but some replays showed far more space than he needs to break a big play if he had just run into the gap.

I was saying this in another thread, these same gaps were there in the Houston game, too. I think the coaching needs to get him to climb the pocket more because teams are running contain more than flush. He still gets to the edge because he's Lamar but he's costing the Ravens in opportunity cost there, too. 

I am literally the biggest Lamar fan and if he adds this wrinkle and adjusts we'll have the guy we had last year again. 

#603 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:46 PM

What week was the 21M+ viewership as well? If this was say Week 15 instead of Week 3 and there was true playoff seeding on the line, maybe it's more watched? 

It was October 5, 2009, so I guess week 4? 5 maybe?

I thought small markets played a role between BMore and KC, But Minnesota and GB are small markets. 

I also wonder when the ratings are measured. #7 most watched MNF game was 2007 when the Ravens hosted the undefeated Patriots. Ravens weren't good, and maybe everyone found a way to get in front of TV once they found out it was a real close game in the 4th quarter. 

Streaming doesn't get accounted for? They should be able to incorporate that. 

Rating were up 30% I think they said compared to week 3 last year which was Bears/Washington I think. But that doesn't mean anything. Thursday night ratings could be an all time low tonight based on the matchup.

Definitely some curmudgeons that are jumping off the wagon, fine by me. 

• JordanKough likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#604 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 02:43 PM

What week was the 21M+ viewership as well? If this was say Week 15 instead of Week 3 and there was true playoff seeding on the line, maybe it's more watched? 

I think this pandemic has placed a priority back in order that a lot things no longer really matter...but I also think its partially because you can digest this in so many ways and no longer need to sit on a couch to watch a game.

Lastly, I do think older audiences are jaded to how everyone is responding to things these days, its no longer simple, and I think some make a stand....that is what it is and I as I tell everyone.  You have the right to do anything within reason, but you always have to understand the consequences of your actions, both good and bad.

I saw something a couple weeks ago in the Business Journal (I believe) that had Week 1 viewership down 7% from last year's Week 1. 

Just going by what I've experienced... my ultra conservative father won't watch because of the BLM agenda and my ultra liberal life long friend won't watch because they're playing despite Covid. I feel like I'm either Bernie Sanders or Rush Limbaugh depending who I'm talking to lol.

I've pointed out to both of them that they've been supporting people with opposite political views their whole lives; athletes, businesses, musicians etc. I've told them that I just worry about what I can control and vote accordingly. I won't let others take away the small joys in life and try to boycott everything. It won't help though, they're too polarized like too many other people. Life's too short to be outraged.

#605 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 03:46 PM

The game, and society is better off without racists who can't even stand to watch a football game because people are fighting for equality. Good riddance. That's a positive consequence, not a negative one, IMO. Long term view.

I was thinking the same thing.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#606 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 07:00 PM

I think we're not talking about how much of a loss Tavon Young was in this game. Even though Mahomes was on fire and probably unbeatable that night I think it takes longer than 1 week to adjust to losing a player of his caliber. Injuries are never an excuse but I think it was a big factor.

#607 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:21 PM

I think we're not talking about how much of a loss Tavon Young was in this game. Even though Mahomes was on fire and probably unbeatable that night I think it takes longer than 1 week to adjust to losing a player of his caliber. Injuries are never an excuse but I think it was a big factor.

I think it was a factor but at the end of the day, Mahomes was incredible.

@mikeghg

#608 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,542 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:30 PM

Mahomes is great - in a world where that word gets thrown around way too much, he truly is. But the Ravens can beat the Chiefs with some work and development. Week 3 for these rookies, this year in particular, is just way, way early for them. This year, it's silly to read much into 3 weeks. Just keep getting better, and hopefully it clicks here soon. Still don't feel like the offense has clicked yet. They are still 5th in scoring, despite being 23rd in yards. They are currently 13th in offensive DVOA and 10th in defensive DVOA. Again, not bad at all given the circumstances this season, and the fact that there is clearly a LOT of room for improvement.

#609 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:16 AM

Mahomes is great - in a world where that word gets thrown around way too much, he truly is. But the Ravens can beat the Chiefs with some work and development. Week 3 for these rookies, this year in particular, is just way, way early for them. This year, it's silly to read much into 3 weeks. Just keep getting better, and hopefully it clicks here soon. Still don't feel like the offense has clicked yet. They are still 5th in scoring, despite being 23rd in yards. They are currently 13th in offensive DVOA and 10th in defensive DVOA. Again, not bad at all given the circumstances this season, and the fact that there is clearly a LOT of room for improvement.

Agree with everything you said. This team is in the top half of the league in DVOA rankings. And they played like crap last week. And were not that great against Houston. They've brought their B game, and their F game in 2 of their 3 games. And they're still ranked in the top 15 teams.
  • JordanKough likes this

#610 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 October 2020 - 09:08 AM

I agree with the last couple of posts.  Monday was terrible, but it is one week.  I feel better as the week goes on.  I am looking forward to Sunday.  Let's come out and pound them with the runa and let the passing game open up from there.

@mikeghg

#611 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 10:31 AM

I'm sorry, but I just can't imagine a reality where the Ravens are even competitive with the Chiefs this year. Not after watching how thoroughly they were dismantled on Monday. That wasn't flukes, the result of crazy circumstances or due to injury. That was one team being head and shoulders better than another in every facet save special teams.

#612 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 10:40 AM

I'm sorry, but I just can't imagine a reality where the Ravens are even competitive with the Chiefs this year. Not after watching how thoroughly they were dismantled on Monday. That wasn't flukes, the result of crazy circumstances or due to injury. That was one team being head and shoulders better than another in every facet save special teams.

Are you?? lol...

Also, I missed the part of the game where the Chiefs running game was better than the Ravens, so let's get that "all facets" part in check for a moment. The Ravens have a clear edge in both run offense and run defense, but chose, inexplicably at that, to not exploit that more. It's not a fluke that they lost because of that, but if you can't see that, you aren't being objective. 

Right now, the Chiefs are better, are they better forever? I mean you should be betting your life savings on the next Ravens / Chiefs game! 

(Also, nevermind the fact the Ravens were favorites in this game, too. So like, yah know, Vegas though the Ravens should be better, too. Teams have bad games, too.)

Ugh...why am I feeding hte trolls. I'm done. 

• sandiegosean likes this

#613 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 01:02 PM

Are you?? lol...

Also, I missed the part of the game where the Chiefs running game was better than the Ravens, so let's get that "all facets" part in check for a moment. The Ravens have a clear edge in both run offense and run defense, but chose, inexplicably at that, to not exploit that more. It's not a fluke that they lost because of that, but if you can't see that, you aren't being objective.

Right now, the Chiefs are better, are they better forever? I mean you should be betting your life savings on the next Ravens / Chiefs game!

(Also, nevermind the fact the Ravens were favorites in this game, too. So like, yah know, Vegas though the Ravens should be better, too. Teams have bad games, too.)

Ugh...why am I feeding hte trolls. I'm done.

About the only thing the Ravens can claim they were better at is their YPC. How often can they even take advantage of a better run game if they get so far behind so quickly that they need to go into panic passing mode? You will never beat the Chiefs if you can't get stops. We couldn't.

As for the Vegas odds, I just couldn't care less. We saw who the contender and who the pretender was in that game.

I would never bet large sums on a sports game but I'll say this - taking the Chiefs over the Ravens seems like the surest thing in the world to me. The Ravens are absolutely unable to compete with them.

#614 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 01:17 PM

Happy to talk about all of this again after Week 17 of the season. But if you want to small sample size away, feel free. 

#615 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 03:16 PM

Happy to talk about all of this again after Week 17 of the season. But if you want to small sample size away, feel free.

Tell me this:

In what area of the game do you expect the Ravens to match up well with the Chiefs in a rematch, and how do you expect them to make up the difference in talent mid-year? As far as talent, the Chiefs beat the Ravens in QB, RB, Offensive Line, Wide Receivers, Tight Ends, and Linebackers. Defensive line appear to be a wash. The only area I can see a clear advantage for the Ravens is in ST and DBs.

I just don't see how they can compete. KC copy-catted the Titans on defense, and the Ravens are unable or unwilling to adjust their game plan.

#616 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 03:35 PM

The Ravens don't need a clear advantage to play a competitive game. I thik that's where we really disagree here the most. 

I'd expect a vastly better game from the Ravens LBers, either to reduce the role of Queen faster if he's still being exploited or narrow his role specifically so it's not as exposed. 

I'd actually expect the Ravens to blitz more. In watching the game again, KC was effective because teh Ravens tried to drop 6 or 7 guys into coverage with disguised blitzes. I think they more than a few times they need to send the house, whack Mahomes, and let the guys on the back end do their thing. Mahomes slipped out of more than a few plays where if more guys were rushing that would have helped. 

The Ravens had 5 drops. Including an Andrews one for a TD. I'd also expect them to run more effectively the next time and not give up on it so early. So if they catch a few more passes, it's improved, too. Andrews had two critical drops, one in the end zone and one on a play action pass where the Ravens were down 7 and had just stopped KC on a 3 and out. That drop led to a 3 and out for the Ravens going the other way. And the game started to slip from there. 

The Ravens played their worst game possible and trailed by 7 with 5 minutes left in teh game. That doesn't scream cannot ever be competitive to me...

#617 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 03:55 PM

The Ravens don't need a clear advantage to play a competitive game. I thik that's where we really disagree here the most.

I'd expect a vastly better game from the Ravens LBers, either to reduce the role of Queen faster if he's still being exploited or narrow his role specifically so it's not as exposed.

I'd actually expect the Ravens to blitz more. In watching the game again, KC was effective because teh Ravens tried to drop 6 or 7 guys into coverage with disguised blitzes. I think they more than a few times they need to send the house, whack Mahomes, and let the guys on the back end do their thing. Mahomes slipped out of more than a few plays where if more guys were rushing that would have helped.

The Ravens had 5 drops. Including an Andrews one for a TD. I'd also expect them to run more effectively the next time and not give up on it so early. So if they catch a few more passes, it's improved, too. Andrews had two critical drops, one in the end zone and one on a play action pass where the Ravens were down 7 and had just stopped KC on a 3 and out. That drop led to a 3 and out for the Ravens going the other way. And the game started to slip from there.

The Ravens played their worst game possible and trailed by 7 with 5 minutes left in teh game. That doesn't scream cannot ever be competitive to me...

Everything you're describing is exactly what I expect to happen when the Ravens are in the playoffs again. It's par for the course when they play big games on big stages. They wilt.

#618 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 04:05 PM

Wilting has nothing to do with actual talent though. I mean you're conflating a whole bunch of stuff. 

But the bottom line is, you're right, they can't say they can do it, until they do. 

I'm watching to see if they can improve and develop and get in sync and not do that. You've decided that is an impossible herculean task. Have fun on your soapbox all year, I'll be enjoying the games and this team. 

#619 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 04:50 PM

Wilting has nothing to do with actual talent though. I mean you're conflating a whole bunch of stuff.

But the bottom line is, you're right, they can't say they can do it, until they do.

I'm watching to see if they can improve and develop and get in sync and not do that. You've decided that is an impossible herculean task. Have fun on your soapbox all year, I'll be enjoying the games and this team.

You're using more hyperbole than I ever did it, but yes, I don't think it's in any way likely that the Ravens will beat the Chiefs this year if they play again. Anything can happen, but I think in the absence of something flukey and unexpected, the Chiefs beat the Ravens about 85 times out of 100. Maybe more. We don't match up well with them anywhere aside from the run game, and Tennessee's defensive gameplan from last years till, who everyone will continue to copy, still has Roman and Lamar searching for answers.

By all means enjoy the team. I enjoy bad movies and fast food sometimes. Nobody said something had to be great to enjoy it.

With that said, it is hard for me to be terribly excited anymore when I know this team is very unlikely to make a deep playoff run, and that is the only thing that matters to me at this point.

#620 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 05:10 PM

Just to clarify, let's say the Ravens get to the AFC Championship game, that's not a deep playoff run to you? So you're SB or bust? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=