BSL: Calais Campbell has already established himself as Ravens’ top defender

The Bank: Previewing KC at Baltimore

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:01 AM

Balt Sun: Ravens are narrow favorites in ‘Monday Night Football’ showdown vs. Chiefs

Balt Sun: Mike Preston: Ravens need to show poise more than anything else against Chiefs | COMMENTARY

#3 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:36 AM

I know they've looked better, but I'm kinda shocked that the Ravens are favorites. 

#4 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:50 AM

I know they've looked better, but I'm kinda shocked that the Ravens are favorites.

KC seems to have our number as well. Im expecting a tough game. I really am not expecting a win to be honest.

#5 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:55 AM

Bought the Chiefs money line. I'm either buying a Ravens win or making money off them. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:53 AM

KC seems to have our number as well. Im expecting a tough game. I really am not expecting a win to be honest.

KC right now has everyone's number.  I don't have a real feel for Monday nights game.  Lamar has been terrific in prime time, so hoping for the best, against the best team in the league.

They needed a miracle to beat us 2 years ago, and jumped us last year.  The Ravens did fight back last year, so both games were very competitive.

This was the game I was excited to go to this year.  We have had to play at Arrowhead the last 2 years, this was going to be the game our stadium was rocking.  Damn 2020.

@mikeghg

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:29 AM

Obviously would prefer a win but ultimately I dont care much about beating them in Sept. They're elite and we're elite. I won't read much into a win or a loss.

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:36 AM

Obviously would prefer a win but ultimately I dont care much about beating them in Sept. They're elite and we're elite. I won't read much into a win or a loss.

This matches my feelings.  I'll be excited for a win, and disappointed with a loss, but the regular season is mostly for care-free enjoyment and setting up for the playoffs this season.  Some intrigue over whether they get the top seed (and the single bye) or not, and that certainly would aid in the Super Bowl hopes and makes this upcoming game directly important.  

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:41 AM

Usually I'd be thinking about home field. In '20, I'm not sure how much home field is worth. 

Do think after losing to them on the road the last 2 years, you'd like to win here. If you've lost 3 in a row to them, including at home, they might feel they have your number.  

#10 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:43 AM

The one thing that will be interesting is that I believe the Ravens get above average pressure with 4 man fronts.  They may not sack the QB, but that means Mahomes must get it out of his hands early and for shorter route trees.  If Madubuike plays, it gives them someone that can beat in isolation to collapse the pocket.

They brought Patrick Queen in for a reason and that reason is to make Kelce miserable all day in shallow crossings and getting the depth that he can't target the middle soft zone below the safeties

I suspect that Andy Reid will try and get the matchups that made some of the Texans get success.  It was Cooks banana streak and Akins stick routes, so that might be a staple approach for when he needs to move the chains.

I don't see a great rushing effort out of the Chiefs this week, but making them one dimensional is no concern to that coaching staff.

I think the Ravens match up well with their pass defense, just depends on the pass rushes ability to penetrate.  Jones and Clark like to keep their head down at full speed, this is where I think a few screens with a weak linebacking core are in order and need to account for the Honeybadger with a hat on hat.

The Chiefs are not quite a wet paper bag rush effort group, but the Texans and Chargers got to the second level routinely, so any lead by the Ravens and the air might be going out of the ball with some success to sustain a drive or two with a chuck of time coming off the play clock.

@Olsen_Don

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:47 AM

I think the build up for this game is going to be fun.  I think it is probably a little more important, for the Ravens to win this game, but I do not think it sends any lasting message one way or the other.

Harbs got his Monday night game and it is a big one.  Let's Go Ravens!!  

@mikeghg

#12 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:27 AM

I said it in our new podcast episode of The Bank coming up, but I do think Lamar was peeking ahead a bit to this game. He just didn't seem to have the same laser focus on attacking certain spots or beating the Texans in specific ways I would have expected. I think he was looking ahead 

That being said, I think think Lamar is going to have a really big game. I think he views this as the preview to the fact this is the Super Bowl team. He knows he's got this monkey on his back and he's got to really prepare and be ready for what the game plan is, not make any mistakes or miss anything on the field. I think he's going to be ready to come out and really execute. 

I don't see how this Chiefs defense slows this offense down...

It's also helpful that the Chiefs traveled last week to LA and then have to travel again this week. Though there haven't been home crowds, I think the additional burdens of Corona travel still bring the home field edge. 

#13 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:50 AM

The one thing that will be interesting is that I believe the Ravens get above average pressure with 4 man fronts. They may not sack the QB, but that means Mahomes must get it out of his hands early and for shorter route trees. If Madubuike plays, it gives them someone that can beat in isolation to collapse the pocket.

They brought Patrick Queen in for a reason and that reason is to make Kelce miserable all day in shallow crossings and getting the depth that he can't target the middle soft zone below the safeties

I suspect that Andy Reid will try and get the matchups that made some of the Texans get success. It was Cooks banana streak and Akins stick routes, so that might be a staple approach for when he needs to move the chains.

I don't see a great rushing effort out of the Chiefs this week, but making them one dimensional is no concern to that coaching staff.

I think the Ravens match up well with their pass defense, just depends on the pass rushes ability to penetrate. Jones and Clark like to keep their head down at full speed, this is where I think a few screens with a weak linebacking core are in order and need to account for the Honeybadger with a hat on hat.

The Chiefs are not quite a wet paper bag rush effort group, but the Texans and Chargers got to the second level routinely, so any lead by the Ravens and the air might be going out of the ball with some success to sustain a drive or two with a chuck of time coming off the play clock.

Honestly, the part about Queen may be true. But through Week 2, he hasn't really been an ace cover guy. He's been beat by lesser quality opponents. And Kelce has made even the best cover guys look silly. I think Wink would be making a huge mistake if he chose to try and isolate coverage on Kelce with just Queen.

#14 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:33 PM

Honestly, the part about Queen may be true. But through Week 2, he hasn't really been an ace cover guy. He's been beat by lesser quality opponents. And Kelce has made even the best cover guys look silly. I think Wink would be making a huge mistake if he chose to try and isolate coverage on Kelce with just Queen.

I agree.  The main point to account for Kelce is bracket coverage for almost all clubs and its a reason why Abrams and James were drafted by their division rivals.  Its also a reason why the Ravens tried to trade for Adams at multiple times.

@Olsen_Don

#15 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 01:21 PM

I'm interested to see if the Ravens bring a go for 2 approach to this game, too. That was an interesting wrinkle last year before the offense really got rolling. They kept some of the go for it on 4ths but the Chiefs were the only one I remember they were so aggressive on 2's. 

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:03 PM

I'm interested to see if the Ravens bring a go for 2 approach to this game, too. That was an interesting wrinkle last year before the offense really got rolling. They kept some of the go for it on 4ths but the Chiefs were the only one I remember they were so aggressive on 2's. 

we chased points the entire game last year.  I hope they don't do that again this year.  Harbs took some heat on some of the decisions last year.

@mikeghg

#17 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:06 PM

I don't mind it on the 4th downs, but when the game is close and it's early and not coverting would be a big disadvantage, I just hope we don't see those happen, too. 

We saw CLE and HOU do it, when you chase the points early in situations that are that advantageous you're just shooting yourself in the foot. 

I expect to see a calm and focused Ravens team. In the back of their minds, I think the Ravens have been preparing for this specific game since the end of last regular season. 

• Mike B likes this

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:07 PM

I don't mind it on the 4th downs, but when the game is close and it's early and not coverting would be a big disadvantage, I just hope we don't see those happen, too. 

We saw CLE and HOU do it, when you chase the points early in situations that are that advantageous you're just shooting yourself in the foot. 

I expect to see a calm and focused Ravens team. In the back of their minds, I think the Ravens have been preparing for this specific game since the end of last regular season. 

I think you are right about the Ravens targetting this game.  I expect some different wrinkles.  I think they were very confident they could beat the Browns, and they did easily.  I think they were pretty secure they would beat the Texans, and although it was not easy, they won handily.

Now it is time for the premier matchup.  I expect to see them fired up for this one.  The Chiefs too.

• JordanKough likes this
@mikeghg

#19 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:26 PM

Coming off a flat Houston week, plus being at home, on a Monday night, I want our A-game this week. Zero excuses for mental errors this upcoming game. Players or coaches... 

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:21 PM

I think the key is energy.  I watched the Chiefs and Chargers and did not feel the Chiefs played well.  They turned it on late, which I believe is the edge they have on the Ravens.  The Ravens need to learn to blast by a team late in the game,

I am really looking forward to Monday

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=