641 replies to this topic

#621 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 05:14 PM

I'm Super Bowl or bust in terms of the season being an overall success.

#622 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 05:18 PM

Just to clarify, let's say the Ravens get to the AFC Championship game, that's not a deep playoff run to you? So you're SB or bust?

That would constitute winning at least one, likely 2 playoff games. That would be a reasonable season with some measurable growth. I also consider that highly unlikely considering they seem to turn to ash under the spotlight.

#623 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 05:58 PM

Is it the Chiefs or is the Ravens turning ash? 

#624 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 05:58 PM

Is it the Chiefs or is the Ravens turning ash?

The Ravens.

#625 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:07 PM

I also consider that highly unlikely considering they seem to turn to ash under the spotlight.

Good point. This explains why they played so damn bad against the Patriots, Rams, and Jets last year.

I'll enjoy hearing about how those games weren't under the spotlight but this week (and the playoff games) were.

#626 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:14 PM

Good point. This explains why they played so damn bad against the Patriots, Rams, and Jets last year.

I think you mean Seahawks.

The book hadn't been written on how to stop them yet. It has now.

#627 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:15 PM

So it's the spotlight or it's being predictable? Which is the problem?

#628 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:59 PM

I think its a combination honestly. They inexplicably refuse to alter their gameplan when defenses challenge them, and in big spots they play small. I'm sure the two are related. Maybe it's panic? Maybe it's a lack creativity? If I knew I'd tell you. I just know what I see.

#629 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:59 PM

I thought it was can’t respond once they trail. Goalposts moving all over the place in here.
@BSLMikeRandall

#630 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 07:01 PM

I thought it was can’t respond once they trail. Goalposts moving all over the place in here.

Why does it have to be one thing? Are you satisfied with how they've played in big games?

#631 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 07:12 PM

Why does it have to be one thing? Are you satisfied with how they've played in big games?

Which games were big and which weren't?

#632 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 07:26 PM

Which games were big and which weren't?

Only KC and TEN because all the other ones we caught teams off guard. But we won’t now. Try to keep up. They lost 2 big games. It’s a huge sample size.
@BSLMikeRandall

#633 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 October 2020 - 08:29 PM

Who decides what is big?

2018, San Diego when they had to win.

Pittsburgh

Seattle-out west

New England

Houston\La rams out wet

San Fran

Buff.

None of those are big.  

@mikeghg

#634 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 10:38 PM

Only KC and TEN because all the other ones we caught teams off guard. But we won’t now. Try to keep up. They lost 2 big games. It’s a huge sample size.

The last two good teams the Ravens have played, they've gotten utterly demolished. The sample size isn't big, but it is consistent. Both opponents did the same thing with the same result. The Ravens have not figured it out.

This team isn't as efficient, as skilled, or as dominant as last year, and teams are more prepared. Hang on to last year as long as you like if it makes you feel better. They won't have a chance to something truly meaningful until January. My guess is this is a 10-6 team.

#635 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,671 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 06:27 AM

The last two good teams the Ravens have played, they've gotten utterly demolished. The sample size isn't big, but it is consistent. Both opponents did the same thing with the same result. The Ravens have not figured it out.

This team isn't as efficient, as skilled, or as dominant as last year, and teams are more prepared. Hang on to last year as long as you like if it makes you feel better. They won't have a chance to something truly meaningful until January. My guess is this is a 10-6 team.

Saving this for future reference.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#636 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 07:19 AM

So you can hang on to last year (Tenn) as being relevant but nobody else can point to other games from last year as still being relevant...got it.

#637 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:46 AM

Saving this for future reference.

I mean, go nuts. I'm not going to shy away from it, and the "gotcha - your prediction was wrong!" game that people like to play is stupid.

#638 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:55 AM

So you can hang on to last year (Tenn) as being relevant but nobody else can point to other games from last year as still being relevant...got it.

Context matters. Tennessee was at the very end of last year, in a do-or-die situation. and showed the first first blueprint for how to stop the Ravens that has yet to be solved. What happened 2-3 months is far less relevant, especially when we've seen more evidence this year that they have still yet to adjust to what beat them before.

So yes, I can care about some aspects of last season while caring less about others because the context surrounding those games matters. I'm not sure what is so difficult about this.

#639 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:57 AM

Also, let me make it abundantly clear: I'm not HAPPY to think what I think about this team. Its not like I'm rooting for it. I just think this year will be ultimately disappointing.

#640 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,542 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 October 2020 - 12:21 PM

The season is ultimately disappointing for 31 teams every year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=