641 replies to this topic

#561 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:34 AM

So to be clear, and this is good because I didn't know this until you just enlightened me... but to be clear, Ravens win last night means they would win in January? This loss means they can't?

A win last night means they're ready. Nothing is guaranteed, (and you know that's not what I'm saying) but it means this team has given notice that they're improved, no longer falter like clockwork in big situations, and are ready for the moment when it comes.

Last night they proved they're still little kids trying on their dad's shoes.

#562 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:35 AM

Yeah they only beat bad to mediocre teams last year. Get outta here.

Dude you've got it all figured out so no need to post in anymore game threads the rest of the year.

They had a nice little run against teams that hadn't figured out what they were doing yet. Want to bet they do the same again?

#563 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:35 AM

Yeah they only beat bad to mediocre teams last year. Get the outta here.

Dude you've got it all figured out so no need to post in anymore game threads the rest of the year.

Beat NE 37-20... crushed the Rams. Beat SF. Buffalo. Won at Seattle. Just ridiculous.

#564 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:36 AM

Im convinced slide is trolling at this point. Its shtick.

It really isn't. The truth just hurts.

#565 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:36 AM

A win last night means they're ready. Nothing is guaranteed, (and you know that's not what I'm saying) but it means this team has given notice that they're improved, no longer falter like clockwork in big situations, and are ready for the moment when it comes.

Last night they proved they're still little kids trying on their dad's shoes.

So if a team doesn't prove those things by late September, it can't ever happen?

#566 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:37 AM

Beat NE 37-20... crushed the Rams. Beat SF. Buffalo. Won at Seattle. Just ridiculous.

New England was a paper tiger. The other teams hadn't figured out what they were doing yet. They would not win half those games again this year.

#567 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:37 AM

So if a team doesn't prove those things by late September, it can't ever happen?

If it were an Xs and Os problem, they can fix it mid-season. More reps can solve that.

This is a heart and nerve condition. You can't practice that away.

#568 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:43 AM

If it were an Xs and Os problem, they can fix it mid-season. More reps can solve that.

This is a heart and nerve condition. You can't practice that away.

There's maybe a little bit of #2, just a little, but not enough that I'm concerned, because you're wrong, you can overcome that. Teams/individuals do all the time. Humans have tremendous capacity to learn and evolve and become stronger mentally.

I disagree with #1. There are some issues with the playbook on both sides. There are major issues with the OLine, not the least of which is communication, but sadly they are, simply put, less talented in that department this year. And that sucks. That was always such an underrated aspect of last year's magic.

#569 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:48 AM

There's maybe a little bit of #2, just a little, but not enough that I'm concerned, because you're wrong, you can overcome that. Teams/individuals do all the time. Humans have tremendous capacity to learn and evolve and become stronger mentally.

I disagree with #1. There are some issues with the playbook on both sides. There are major issues with the OLine, not the least of which is communication, but sadly they are, simply put, less talented in that department this year. And that sucks. That was always such an underrated aspect of last year's magic.

You can't practice the moment. You can't replicate that pressure or feeling. If they get over it, it will be through years more of failure in spots like that.

#570 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,666 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:53 AM

It really isn't. The truth just hurts.

Then you're a jabroni. Its either or

#571 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:56 AM

Then you're a jabroni. Its either or

So you have no rebuttal then. Good to know. Sorry my opinions make you so mad.

#572 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,391 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:26 AM

I don't agree with that in reference to the running attack.  I think they're still one of the best, if not the best run OL in the league.  Pass protection leaves a lot to be desired but it was never great last year either. Lamar just made them pay for a lot of the ineptitude. Everyone knew it was going to be tough to replace Yanda but from what I've seen so far, the run blocking is still top notch.  I never expected this team to repeat 14-2 and blow out so many teams but the true identity of what they do best hasn't changed one iota in my opinion.  Maybe one day they'll figure that out in the most important games. 

#573 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:30 AM

I'm talking about the pass protection. Lamar couldn't make his progressions, clearly isn't comfortable in the pocket this year with that group. They're doing pretty well run blocking so far, but even there they have some work to do.

#574 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,391 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:38 AM

I'm talking about the pass protection. Lamar couldn't make his progressions, clearly isn't comfortable in the pocket this year with that group. They're doing pretty well run blocking so far, but even there they have some work to do.

I think he's holding on to the ball longer this year and that's attributable to some of his sacks.  I think he needs to go back to "Action Jackson" next week and start making teams pay for the pressure.  Then things will loosen up for him.  Right now, teams are just teeing off and probably thrilled that he's staying put, unlike last year. 

• bmore_ken and JStruds like this

#575 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:53 AM

I think the Ravens are probably the 10th best team in the NFL. Maybe the 5th or 6th in the AFC.

I would take KC, Pitt, New England, Buffalo, and Tennessee over them right now, and I think all 5 have a better chance of a playoff victory than this squad does.

Wish I knew you well enough to put some money on this. We'll be higher than a 5th or 6th seed. It was a disturbing performance and you're taking heat in this thread but c'mon now.

#576 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:56 AM

Wish I knew you well enough to put some money on this. We'll be higher than a 5th or 6th seed. It was a disturbing performance and you're taking heat in this thread but c'mon now.

The "heat" doesn't bother me. People hate hearing negativity about their favorite team.

I fully expect the Ravens will be higher than a 5 or 6 seed. Their schedule is very, very soft. That doesn't change that I don't believe they'll be a top 4 AFC team.

#577 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:04 AM

There's no shame in losing. There is shame in getting obliterated.

Not by Mahomes. The guy is the most talented qb in the league and that includes Lamar. IMO. The reality is KC's defense played a better game against Lamar(pressure, guarding the edge) than our defense played against Mahomes. No one thought the Ravens would go 16-0 and this was probably the best team they'll play all year.

#578 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:10 AM

Not by Mahomes. The guy is the most talented qb in the league and that includes Lamar. IMO. The reality is KC's defense played a better game against Lamar(pressure, guarding the edge) than our defense played against Mahomes. No one thought the Ravens would go 16-0 and this was probably the best team they'll play all year.

When you're a super bowl or bust team, getting chewed up and spit out is an embarrassment. Indon't care who it's against. It should never happen.

The Chiefs basically made it clear that the Ravens aren't a real contender.

#579 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:11 AM

Had them going 19-0. Oh well.

#580 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,667 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:17 AM

Had them going 19-0. Oh well.

18-1 is not bad.

@mikeghg