133 replies to this topic

#81 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 September 2023 - 01:04 PM

He’s back. Good trade continues to get better, especially if they can fix him again.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#82 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 01:07 PM

Well then.

#83 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 September 2023 - 01:59 PM

Isnt he ineligible for the playoffs as a post-Sept 1 roster addition or is that an old rule?

#84 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 02:07 PM

Isnt he ineligible for the playoffs as a post-Sept 1 roster addition or is that an old rule?

That rule is still in effect.  He won't be on the postseason roster.

Pretty intrigued to see if him being back here will help him mentally and allow him to get back to pitching well.

• Chris B likes this

#85 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 September 2023 - 02:21 PM

He has a year of control left.
  • BSLChrisStoner and Chris B like this

#86 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 September 2023 - 02:32 PM

Maybe coming home lets him settle down the emotional stuff and find his form.  It is worth a shot.

@mikeghg

#87 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 03:07 PM

He's got plenty of arm talent.  Also seemed to a very well liked guy in the clubhouse.
Mechanically he could get out of whack.  Also possible other teams weren't maximizing his abilities in-terms of utilizing info.
The year of team control is great.  
Not sure he'll immediately find himself here in September, but would expect him to do so next Spring and make the team.

#88 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 03:37 PM

The control is only if they tender him or can agree to a 1-year deal. Would likely be less than they paid Givens this year, so guess I'd lean against them nontendering him.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#89 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 September 2023 - 04:03 PM

He's got plenty of arm talent. Also seemed to a very well liked guy in the clubhouse.
Mechanically he could get out of whack. Also possible other teams weren't maximizing his abilities in-terms of utilizing info.
The year of team control is great.
Not sure he'll immediately find himself here in September, but would expect him to do so next Spring and make the team.

His four seam fastball usage quadrupled after he left here. Get him to use his sinker again and get that confidence back.
  • BSLChrisStoner, Mike B and NewMarketSean like this

#90 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 04:10 PM

If they can get him back to what he was and he helps us win the division, what a move. I keep saying all Cinderella stories need miracles.

#91 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 04:22 PM

Good low risk move IMO
  • Mike B likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#92 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 10:48 PM

Cool, we can trade him sometime in 2024 for two pitching prospects.

• BobPhelan and NewMarketSean like this

#93 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 September 2023 - 10:52 PM

He’s back. Good trade continues to get better, especially if they can fix him again.

Weird time of year to be fixing someone isn’t it? That’s my only gripe with this move right now.

If they keep him low lev, I’m good with it. Welcome back, Jorge.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#94 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 September 2023 - 11:03 PM

What a trade!

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#95 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 11:09 PM

Might be able to strike lighting in a bottle, but looking like we maximized the best 4 months of his baseball career. I'm not expecting we'll ever see close to April-July 2022 Jorge Lopez again.

#96 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 11:20 PM

As recently as Apr or May of this year there were still fools bitching about Lopez after his first 12 innings were good. Still crying about Mancini too. Fast forward to Sept and Lopez is back after being released twice. Mancini also released twice. Oops.

This isnt trying to rehash the trade process as of Aug 1 of '22. If you felt we should've kept both a year ago I get it. I didnt love the return for Lopez at the time. Let the process keep playing out moving forward. Bitching about Mancini and Lopez not being on the '23 roster didnt age well.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#97 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 11:54 PM

I'm not quite sure why the Orioles would make a waiver claim now for a guy they aren't likely to tender in the offseason and is ineligible to pitch for them this postseason. No one is going to pay his arbitration number to begin with, so why not wait until the offseason and sign him to a minor league deal then?

What the Orioles could do is turn around and waive Lopez since it isn't likely anyone else will put in a claim, then once he likely clears, they can send him to Norfolk. As his situation stands right now, I don't think he has a minor league option.

#98 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 12:10 AM

I'm not quite sure why the Orioles would make a waiver claim now for a guy they aren't likely to tender in the offseason and is ineligible to pitch for them this postseason. No one is going to pay his arbitration number to begin with, so why not wait until the offseason and sign him to a minor league deal then?

What the Orioles could do is turn around and waive Lopez since it isn't likely anyone else will put in a claim, then once he likely clears, they can send him to Norfolk. As his situation stands right now, I don't think he has a minor league option.

I just think its a shot in the dark. It does tell me how uncomfortable they are with their righties behind Cano. In particular Fuji, Joey K, and Voth. Then Baker and Baumann behind them in AAA. We now have 1 reliable RH BP arm. Webb has been fine here and I get why hes been thrust into high lev spots but he isnt getting my seal of approval on being reliable yet.

#99 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 September 2023 - 08:12 AM

Weird time of year to be fixing someone isn’t it? That’s my only gripe with this move right now.

If they keep him low lev, I’m good with it. Welcome back, Jorge.

My thinking is he's another arm for now, if they get him back on track and feel like its sustainable he's under control for next year which could be valuable especially if Bautista has to go under the knife. Worth a shot and because he was so bad this year his salary isn't going to raise much if at all in arbitration.

• You Play to Win the Game and makoman like this

#100 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 08:34 AM

My thinking is he's another arm for now, if they get him back on track and feel like its sustainable he's under control for next year which could be valuable especially if Bautista has to go under the knife. Worth a shot and because he was so bad this year his salary isn't going to raise much if at all in arbitration.

Yeah I was thinking he’s not going to get a big raise after this year. He’s making 3.5M, probably at most like the 5M Givens is making but not likely that high even. They have a month to see if they think he is fixable. But people are acting like a non tender is a foregone conclusion, I don’t think that’s true.

Even in a pennant race the bar just isn’t that high for 9th guy in the bullpen or whatever he is right now.
  • BobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=