#341 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,937 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 10:12 AM

Zero pitchers....lol

Can't see the ESPN list, but MLB.com has only 30 pitchers total in their top 100.  Not exactly an indictment that the Orioles don't have one, especially considering two graduated from last year's list in Rodriguez and Hall.

#342 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 31 January 2024 - 10:31 AM

They have a few pitchers that will probably make some noise this year too, a couple of the younger ones coming up from developmental, plus Chase, a healthy Johnson, and Povich. They seem to excel at the starters that look solid and steady and just keep on producing at each level, Means, Bradish, Kremer etc.

@JeremyMStrain

#343 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 January 2024 - 02:03 PM

Pitchers are coming.

#344 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 05 February 2024 - 10:22 AM

Law's updated rankings:

1   Holliday

20 Basallo

27 Mayo

62 Kjerstad

64 Bradfield

Joey Ortiz at 58.  No Cowser.

Top 100 MLB prospects 2024: Keith Law’s rankings, with Jackson Holliday at No. 1 - The Athletic

• mweb08 likes this

#345 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:53 AM

Law ranks the O's farm system #1

1. Baltimore Orioles

The Orioles’ system has become ridiculously deep in position players now that the players they’ve signed in international free agency the last few years are bubbling up, with that particular group led by No. 20 overall prospect Sammy Basallo. They have so much depth in the infield that they were able to trade shortstop Joey Ortiz (No. 58) — who looks like a 3 WAR player right now — for Corbin Burnes and still have more infielders than they can possibly play. There’s also some more pitching coming even though they have largely eschewed drafting arms with high-round picks, with their top two pitching prospects coming via trade and several other international free-agent pitchers now on their top 20 list. They’ve drafted well and developed well and continue to find value where other teams might miss it. For all of the hype the Orioles’ system has received in the last five years, it might be better than ever right now.

MLB 2024 farm system rankings: Keith Law ranks all 30 teams, Orioles are new No. 1 - The Athletic

• makoman likes this

#346 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 10:07 AM

Law ranks the O's farm system #1

MLB 2024 farm system rankings: Keith Law ranks all 30 teams, Orioles are new No. 1 - The Athletic

Just curious, who does he have as the "several other international free-agent pitchers now on their top 20 list?" Maybe Luis de Leon? Juan Nunez (trade though)?

#347 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,777 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 10:27 AM

Can't wait until they start to see the true fruits of their labor from the Latin American market. Feel like Basallo is just the beginning.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#348 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 10:58 AM

Just curious, who does he have as the "several other international free-agent pitchers now on their top 20 list?" Maybe Luis de Leon? Juan Nunez (trade though)?

I don't think he's released his top-20 prospects by team lists yet, but I'll post it when he does.

• makoman likes this

#349 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 February 2024 - 03:03 PM

I don't think he's released his top-20 prospects by team lists yet, but I'll post it when he does.

I'm curious why you continue to post Law's stuff.  Why would anyone care about his opinion.

#350 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 03:36 PM

Law has some interesting takes. I disagree with him but he certainly seems to know what he's talking about. Is he worse than Mayo, Longerhagen, McDaniel, etc.?

Law has attitude. Sometimes he's funny and sometimes annoying.

#351 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 03:47 PM

I'm curious why you continue to post Law's stuff.  Why would anyone care about his opinion.

And yet you continue to post?

• BobPhelan, BaltBird 24 and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#352 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 February 2024 - 04:52 PM

And yet you continue to post?

I'm posting my opinion here.  If he wants to come here and post his opinion that's fine, it's a Baseball message board.  If you were posting my opinion somewhere else and someone wanted to question that, cool.  You are elevating his position by taking his information and promoting it other places (like this place).

Anyone that views quality of a system based on the nationality of origin of the system should immediately be disqualified from any credible public discourse.  Period.

#353 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 06:56 PM

I'm posting my opinion here.  If he wants to come here and post his opinion that's fine, it's a Baseball message board.  If you were posting my opinion somewhere else and someone wanted to question that, cool.  You are elevating his position by taking his information and promoting it other places (like this place).

Anyone that views quality of a system based on the nationality of origin of the system should immediately be disqualified from any credible public discourse.  Period.

Could you explain the last statement?

#354 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 February 2024 - 07:08 PM

Can’t speak for Law by Kiley McDaniel has Luis De Leon 16 in the system. Juan Nunez, Deivy Cruz, Moises Chace, Edgar Portes other options.

McDaniel also has Leandro Arias at 10, Braylin Tavera at 14, and Joshua Liranzo at 19 which is very exciting.
  • BaltBird 24, makoman and RichardZ like this

#355 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 07:16 PM

Can’t speak for Law by Kiley McDaniel has Luis De Leon 16 in the system. Juan Nunez, Deivy Cruz, Moises Chace, Edgar Portes other options.
McDaniel also has Leandro Arias at 10, Braylin Tavera at 14, and Joshua Liranzo at 19 which is very exciting.

Yeah, interesting to see Arias that high and ahead of Tavera but good to see all of those names. Interesting that Thomas Sosa, who Villa mentioned the other night, and who Baseball America pointed to as a breakout candidate based on underlying metrics not listed at all. Good times with the Latin American program.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#356 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 February 2024 - 07:53 PM

Yeah, interesting to see Arias that high and ahead of Tavera but good to see all of those names. Interesting that Thomas Sosa, who Villa mentioned the other night, and who Baseball America pointed to as a breakout candidate based on underlying metrics not listed at all. Good times with the Latin American program.

It’s definitely a nice twist on what we’re used to. Anyone can break out at any time.

#357 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 February 2024 - 11:19 AM

I'm posting my opinion here. If he wants to come here and post his opinion that's fine, it's a Baseball message board. If you were posting my opinion somewhere else and someone wanted to question that, cool. You are elevating his position by taking his information and promoting it other places (like this place).

Anyone that views quality of a system based on the nationality of origin of the system should immediately be disqualified from any credible public discourse. Period.

He's not doing that, though.

His position was that it's damaging to the farm system to largely ignore one of the two primary ways to bring in the talent for said farm system. While Law's prior rankings of the O's system were way too low, that was a point with merit.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#358 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 February 2024 - 10:58 PM

He's not doing that, though.

His position was that it's damaging to the farm system to largely ignore one of the two primary ways to bring in the talent for said farm system. While Law's prior rankings of the O's system were way too low, that was a point with merit.

Maybe this response will answer RichardZ question too.

He absolutely has done that it in the past and - in fact - he's doing it here.  He's literally ranked the Orioles system lower - in the face of all of the other rankings - because they didn't have enough Latin talent.  NOW...we can have the best system we've had because we have Latin talent.  That is a crazy position.

If you cut off one avenue of talent acquisition, that obviously can be a challenge (do everything you can, everywhere you can), but using that opportunity (or not using it) isn't the definition of the talent in the system  The talent in the system is the definition of talent in the system.

If you have more talent than everyone else, then you have more talent than everyone else.  Where anyone hails from is irrelevant. 

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#359 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 11 February 2024 - 11:07 AM

Maybe this response will answer RichardZ question too.

He absolutely has done that it in the past and - in fact - he's doing it here.  He's literally ranked the Orioles system lower - in the face of all of the other rankings - because they didn't have enough Latin talent.  NOW...we can have the best system we've had because we have Latin talent.  That is a crazy position.

If you cut off one avenue of talent acquisition, that obviously can be a challenge (do everything you can, everywhere you can), but using that opportunity (or not using it) isn't the definition of the talent in the system  The talent in the system is the definition of talent in the system.

If you have more talent than everyone else, then you have more talent than everyone else.  Where anyone hails from is irrelevant. 

I think this is your interpretation of what he said. My interpretation was that the overall strength of the farm system was hurt by not having Latin American top prospects. I still felt he was evaluating us on complete talent level regardless of origin. What your interpretation suggests is that Law felt we had the #1 system but penalized us 1 spot or more because we didn’t have enough Latin American prospects. That would be illogical and dumb. I doubt Law would agree that’s what he meant.

#360 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 11 February 2024 - 12:13 PM

For whatever it's worth, my impression was also always that he dinged the O's system for its lack of international talent, seemingly independent of the actual quality of the rest of the system. Like didn't he pretty much say exactly that when he had us in the bottom half a couple years ago when everyone else had us top 10?

ETA: well yes, actually it's in this very thread, from Feb. 2021

Keith Law: Also, the expectation that a team that has completely ignored international scouting – you know, where the best player in the NL came from, where the #1 and #3 prospects on my top 100 came from as well as the guys at 16 and 19 and 20 and 24 and 25 and 25 – for a decade, and that has zero international prospects of their own signing in their top 20, would have a top ten system is delusional

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=