• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:58 PM

OK, we are veering too far off of the COVID risks and HS football path. Let's get back to that before we lose another thread.

@JeremyMStrain

#62 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 October 2020 - 01:25 PM

Seal team six and Benganzi might disagree with you about Hillary.

Trump did not collaborate with the foreign government. That was all Hillary and Bidden to take pressure off of her and she should be in jail for treason. By the way, Hunter got rich from Ukraine and Moscow, so sure, feel free to bash Trump.

Trump is the President. No one else you mentioned here is. But if I'm following your logic, and I guess you teach your grandchildren this, yeah? - that so long as other people are doing wrong things, it's okay for you to do things that are wrong as well? Just want to make sure I'm following. And I don't blame you, this is how Fox News and all the other right wing nut job pundits brainwash you into thinking this is all normal and/or okay. But an old adage comes to mind that I think fits here; two wrongs don't make a right - I learned that back in Sunday school as a 5 year old, and damn if it still doesn't hold true today.

#63 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 02:21 PM

Interesting chart about deaths by covid, by age, and related viruses, influenza, pneumonia. 

https://www.cdc.gov/...eekly/index.htm

374 people between age 15-24 have died from Covid. In the same age group, 773 people have died from pneumonia, influenza, or Covid. I assume given the wording you can subtract 374 from 773 and figure that 399 people in that age group have died from influenza or pneumonia and not Covid? Would that be right?

Does that mean that if you weren't worried about kids and young adults dying from the flu before, why should you worry about them dying from covid? I don't know. 

According to that chart, nearly 1 out of every 100 people in the 85+ crowd has died from Covid from Feb. 1 to Oct. 10. But it's closer to 1 out of every 110,000 people in the 15-24 age group that have died from it. 1 in 1800 people in the 15-24 group have died in that time frame of all causes. 

At risk of sounding dark, it's like filling  up Ohio State's Horseshoe with 15-24 year olds, and saying in the next 7 months, one of you is going to die from covid, one of you is going to die from the flu, and 60 of you are going to die of something else. 

The mortality rate is so heavily skewed by the elderly. I'm so hot and cold on all this. I freak out a tiny bit inside when my phone alerts me pretty much daily at this point that "football Team X had a positive test, shut down facility, cancel activities, not sure if they can play this weekend." But I'm starting to think, who cares. No one in the age group is dying. Take the precautions. Keep testing to limit the asymptomatic spread. Keep masking up. If a guy tests positive he misses the game like it's injury related and call it day. If it's a staffer, then we really don't need to know about it.

On the other hand we didn't play football for a large part of this pandemic so who knows if the age 15-24 crowd of high school and college athletes will lead to a big spike in deaths in the age group. Probably won't really know until...the end of football season. It is kinda hard to say that such and such state started playing football and cases are going back up. Not unless you can point to the 15-24 age group as the one going up the most. If you started playing football and the 0-4 age group, or 85+ age group has a spike, it's probably unrelated. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#64 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 October 2020 - 02:22 PM

Interesting chart about deaths by covid, by age, and related viruses, influenza, pneumonia. 

https://www.cdc.gov/...eekly/index.htm

374 people between age 15-24 have died from Covid. In the same age group, 773 people have died from pneumonia, influenza, or Covid. I assume given the wording you can subtract 374 from 773 and figure that 399 people in that age group have died from influenza or pneumonia and not Covid? Would that be right?

Does that mean that if you weren't worried about kids and young adults dying from the flu before, why should you worry about them dying from covid? I don't know. 

According to that chart, nearly 1 out of every 100 people in the 85+ crowd has died from Covid from Feb. 1 to Oct. 10. But it's closer to 1 out of every 110,000 people in the 15-24 age group that have died from it. 1 in 1800 people in the 15-24 group have died in that time frame of all causes. 

At risk of sounding dark, it's like filling  up Ohio State's Horseshoe with 15-24 year olds, and saying in the next 7 months, one of you is going to die from covid, one of you is going to die from the flu, and 60 of you are going to die of something else. 

The mortality rate is so heavily skewed by the elderly. I'm so hot and cold on all this. I freak out a tiny bit inside when my phone alerts me pretty much daily at this point that "football Team X had a positive test, shut down facility, cancel activities, not sure if they can play this weekend." But I'm starting to think, who cares. No one in the age group is dying. Take the precautions. Keep testing to limit the asymptomatic spread. Keep masking up. If a guy tests positive he misses the game like it's injury related and call it day. If it's a staffer, then we really don't need to know about it.

On the other hand we didn't play football for a large part of this pandemic so who knows if the age 15-24 crowd of high school and college athletes will lead to a big spike in deaths in the age group. Probably won't really know until...the end of football season. It is kinda hard to say that such and such state started playing football and cases are going back up. Not unless you can point to the 15-24 age group as the one going up the most. If you started playing football and the 0-4 age group, or 85+ age group has a spike, it's probably unrelated. 

Contrary to what capitalist leaders want you to think, though, kids can easily transmit the virus to adults and those more vulnerable. 

#65 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 02:29 PM

Contrary to what capitalist leaders want you to think, though, kids can easily transmit the virus to adults and those more vulnerable. 

Totally understand. Parents have to be responsible for their children under 18. If they have a live in grandparent especially, maybe best to hold them out of football for the year. Mask up around the house and sanitize the hell out of the place if you want your kid to go sweat and breath and hug and rub up on a dozen other kids every day. If they play college ball I assume they are getting tested, but even if they come back negative, maybe when they come home for winter break they need to limit time around grandma and grandpa. And wear a mask and wash hands often of course.

@BSLMikeRandall

#66 Oldtime

Oldtime
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 05:10 PM

How is it getting old? He said that just yesterday. He keeps giving material, i'll keep using it. He's easily the worst and most harmful President we've ever had. It isn't even debatable. But sure, be tired of it.

BTW, are you equally as tired of bashing the rioters and BLM protestors? It didn't seem that way when you were complaining about that. So it's interesting that you have some stamina around complaining about those issues, but none when it comes to rightfully bashing the worst human to ever walk into the Oval.

Odd how the new hotbed for Covid is Wisconsin, yet the MSM makes no ties to the riots/protests as superspreader events.

#67 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 October 2020 - 05:51 PM

Odd how the new hotbed for Covid is Wisconsin, yet the MSM makes no ties to the riots/protests as superspreader events.

Odd how the President of supposedly the best country in the world could tell you everything you need to know about successfully hosting a super spreader event.

#68 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:48 PM

Comes back to the age thing I mentioned. How many people over 60 were rioting? Probably zero. How many people over 60 attended the rose garden dog and pony show? 199 out of 200 probably?

It’s ageist to say old people, stay home. But for their own safety they should take extra precautions.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#69 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:07 AM

Comes back to the age thing I mentioned. How many people over 60 were rioting? Probably zero. How many people over 60 attended the rose garden dog and pony show? 199 out of 200 probably?

It’s ageist to say old people, stay home. But for their own safety they should take extra precautions.

And anyone with asthma. And anyone who gets pneumonia or bronchitis a lot. (My wife and oldest daughter are in that group)
@JeremyMStrain

#70 Oldtime

Oldtime
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 03:16 PM

Odd how the President of supposedly the best country in the world could tell you everything you need to know about successfully hosting a super spreader event.

So what country is the best in your mind?

#71 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:09 PM

So what country is the best in your mind?

How long a list do you want? If you're being objective, countries like Switzerland, Germany, Finland, Netherlands, Canada, France, etc. kick our ass all over the place. Unless you equate biggest and most military waste to best country, this really can't be argued against if you're looking at facts.

#72 Oldtime

Oldtime
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:16 PM

How long a list do you want? If you're being objective, countries like Switzerland, Germany, Finland, Netherlands, Canada, France, etc. kick our ass all over the place. Unless you equate biggest and most military waste to best country, this really can't be argued against if you're looking at facts.

All countries that are dependent on the US military strength. But why face facts.

Name one of those countries that have a higher GDP? Give me facts that makes you think they are kicking our ass.

#73 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:40 PM

All countries that are dependent on the US military strength. But why face facts.

Name one of those countries that have a higher GDP? Give me facts that makes you think they are kicking our ass.

Internal American propaganda works well. Military industrial complex and capitalism.

I happen to care more about education, equal opportunity, righting your wrongs (IE owning our racist past and making it right), and it'd be neat to live somewhere where the top 1% doesn't own 44% of the wealth. And so much more, but best to drop it here and move on.
  • BSLWillieSeanCoughlan likes this

#74 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:30 AM

I think the core issue for allowing high school sports to be played in Maryland is that many high school age travel programs in various sports ( excluding football) are playing through the pandemic.

Some school systems are also contributing to this message as well. While kids are not allowed to be in school because the pandemic, practices for fall sports have begun. All of this makes for a strange dynamic.

I don't believe that practices for school sports should be happening until schools are at least in a hybrid mode.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#75 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:19 AM

I think the core issue for allowing high school sports to be played in Maryland is that many high school age travel programs in various sports ( excluding football) are playing through the pandemic.

Some school systems are also contributing to this message as well. While kids are not allowed to be in school because the pandemic, practices for fall sports have begun. All of this makes for a strange dynamic.

I don't believe that practices for school sports should be happening until schools are at least in a hybrid mode.

As a parent to two of those travel players, it’s starting to become a real concern. Games getting cancelled because the other team had a positive test. Entire club shut down in Bethesda because of an outbreak. The potential rules for volleyball don’t seem safe with numbers rising and it all indoor. A bunch of us were talking this weekend and are getting more and more concerned about our exposure risk.
@JeremyMStrain

#76 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:10 AM

As a parent to two of those travel players, it’s starting to become a real concern. Games getting cancelled because the other team had a positive test. Entire club shut down in Bethesda because of an outbreak. The potential rules for volleyball don’t seem safe with numbers rising and it all indoor. A bunch of us were talking this weekend and are getting more and more concerned about our exposure risk.

IMO, there is no way to be completely safe while playing any sport. Further, there is too much money involved to shut down these club/travel team. Prep Baseball Report has been hosting events on college campuses and other venues and they have been all summer and into the fall. It comes down to whether or not you want to risk the exposure or not.

#77 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:03 AM

IMO, there is no way to be completely safe while playing any sport. Further, there is too much money involved to shut down these club/travel team. Prep Baseball Report has been hosting events on college campuses and other venues and they have been all summer and into the fall. It comes down to whether or not you want to risk the exposure or not.

Yep. And at the beginning it was worth the risk. Things were minimal and the kids were losing their minds. But now that the noose is slowly tightening and we can see people within one social circle catching it from these things, it’s becoming a totally different decision. The Fall is almost over 2 games and a tourney left. But I guarantee you we will be sweating bullets through the tourney and won’t want anything to do with indoor in the winter.
@JeremyMStrain

#78 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:24 AM

Yep. And at the beginning it was worth the risk. Things were minimal and the kids were losing their minds. But now that the noose is slowly tightening and we can see people within one social circle catching it from these things, it’s becoming a totally different decision. The Fall is almost over 2 games and a tourney left. But I guarantee you we will be sweating bullets through the tourney and won’t want anything to do with indoor in the winter.

Good luck and I sincerely wish everyone involved the best of health. My son's college baseball team has been practicing all fall. They did prohibit access to the weight room and shut down when the school had a couple of cases. My son's roommate is from California and he is doing virtual learning. So my son has had his dorm room all to himself this fall.

#79 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:31 AM

Good luck and I sincerely wish everyone involved the best of health. My son's college baseball team has been practicing all fall. They did prohibit access to the weight room and shut down when the school had a couple of cases. My son's roommate is from California and he is doing virtual learning. So my son has had his dorm room all to himself this fall.

Thanks. We were just saying how none of us regretted anything and we felt pretty safe (there was a near miss for our team recently) but we wonder if our window is closing a little bit. Soccer is a bit more high risk than baseball so we have friends that have been able to play with almost zero worry at all. I’m glad things are still going well for your son. Have they talked about Spring Season yet at all?
@JeremyMStrain

#80 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:41 AM

Thanks. We were just saying how none of us regretted anything and we felt pretty safe (there was a near miss for our team recently) but we wonder if our window is closing a little bit. Soccer is a bit more high risk than baseball so we have friends that have been able to play with almost zero worry at all. I’m glad things are still going well for your son. Have they talked about Spring Season yet at all?

I think they hope to play in the spring.

My guess is that their schedule will be dependent on the status of the other schools in the conference.

They played twelve games last spring before shutting down and they were all non conference games.

My guess if that they will play this spring. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=