#21 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:37 PM

Then we go again, so now its Trump fault there is fake news. Snopes and fact checking was around long before Trump ran for office.

Of course. But people going around just blindly ignoring facts and evidence because of who writes it is one of the biggest marks he's left on this country. In the past, at least we could acknowledge a fact as a fact. Now, the NY Times or Washington Post or Vox could say the sky is blue, and 35% of the most stupid in our population would argue it isn't true because it's the NY Times, Washington Post or Vox.

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:38 PM

Thousands of games have been played with little issues. If it were any different the MSM would be all over it.

Our schools are being held up by the teachers unions. Clubs have been playing for the past 4-5 months.

BTW...the media is this country has been fake for a long time. Fake is not only saying something that is false, it is also withholding information or timing the release of information to push an agenda. The best thing Trump has ever done is expose them.

Oh, hey, welcome to the board Jared.

tenor.gif

#23 lballer

lballer
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:49 PM

Thanks Hillary.  BTW  not a Trump voter.

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:27 PM

Thanks Hillary. BTW not a Trump voter.

Not a Hillary voter.

I don't see how what I've stated can be even a little debated.

#25 lballer

lballer
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:42 PM

Wear a mask when you are out in public, limit crowd size to parents, leave granny at home.  Mortality rate less than .5% for those under age 50 and that even includes those with pre-existing conditions.  Those are the facts...don't see how that can be debated.

#26 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:59 PM

Thousands of games have been played with little issues.  If it were any different the MSM would be all over it.

Our schools are being held up by the teachers unions.  Clubs have been playing for the past 4-5 months.

BTW...the media is this country has been fake for a long time.  Fake is not only saying something that is false, it is also withholding information or timing the release of information to push an agenda.  The best thing Trump has ever done is expose them.

1000s? Really? I mean pretty basic math looking at the areas that opened on time, when it is now and the number of places still not open would tell you 1000s is probably a healthy stretch. 100s maybe.

Then you look at the places they HAVE been playing, and how they are some of the highest covid numbers right now and you have to wonder what it's role is in those numbers? Tons of people packed in the stands watching a game? Dozens of players stacked and sweating on each other? With the small sample size of how many college cases there have been on football teams, it's pretty safe to say HS is way worse.

Schools aren't being held up by teacher unions. That's a narrative. Most of the teachers having issues with going back are parents in those schools and want better answers. Once schools even open at the hybrid stage, numbers are going to spread and explode, cause those people that want them open the worst are the ones that send their kids to school sick. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to sit in a 15x15 room for 6 hours a day with no airflow and use the honor system that parents are keeping their kids home if they are sick. If they even know they have something yet.

Back to the sports part though, clubs have been open for months, and when things were distanced and outside with little contact it was better. But now that games are being played and you seeing clustering on the field, you're seeing breakouts on teams and different clubs. There was just an outbreak with a Bethesda Soccer Club last weekend, and we've heard from some parents in surrounding leagues that have seen some cases too. Especially when it comes to travel sports, parents don't want their kid to miss a single game, not for that money, so you see them get loaded up with meds and sent on their way all the time. With the normal large scale tournaments this past weekend, I'm betting you see some spread from there.

• BSLWillieSeanCoughlan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#27 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:03 PM

1000s? Really? I mean pretty basic math looking at the areas that opened on time, when it is now and the number of places still not open would tell you 1000s is probably a healthy stretch. 100s maybe.

Then you look at the places they HAVE been playing, and how they are some of the highest covid numbers right now and you have to wonder what it's role is in those numbers? Tons of people packed in the stands watching a game? Dozens of players stacked and sweating on each other? With the small sample size of how many college cases there have been on football teams, it's pretty safe to say HS is way worse.

Schools aren't being held up by teacher unions. That's a narrative. Most of the teachers having issues with going back are parents in those schools and want better answers. Once schools even open at the hybrid stage, numbers are going to spread and explode, cause those people that want them open the worst are the ones that send their kids to school sick. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to sit in a 15x15 room for 6 hours a day with no airflow and use the honor system that parents are keeping their kids home if they are sick. If they even know they have something yet.

Back to the sports part though, clubs have been open for months, and when things were distanced and outside with little contact it was better. But now that games are being played and you seeing clustering on the field, you're seeing breakouts on teams and different clubs. There was just an outbreak with a Bethesda Soccer Club last weekend, and we've heard from some parents in surrounding leagues that have seen some cases too. Especially when it comes to travel sports, parents don't want their kid to miss a single game, not for that money, so you see them get loaded up with meds and sent on their way all the time. With the normal large scale tournaments this past weekend, I'm betting you see some spread from there.

trying to not daily watch the numbers, but in Md the numbers on the nightly news is trending slowly upwards.

#28 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:11 PM

trying to not daily watch the numbers, but in Md the numbers on the nightly news is trending slowly upwards.

Yeah we are creeping up here in AA. Over 11.1 per 100k as of today.

@JeremyMStrain

#29 lballer

lballer
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:27 PM

Positivity rate in MD has been under 3% for several weeks.  Can't get much lower than that.  Rationality has been thrown out the window.  Hearing of some soccer games where kids can't throw the ball in fearing the spread...insanity has taken over.

No school district has ever been able to clearly define what the measure is and where it needs to be.  Too busy waiting for the teachers union to tell them what to do next.

No one is downplaying the reality of this virus but let's start applying some common sense.

#30 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:00 PM

Positivity rate in MD has been under 3% for several weeks.  Can't get much lower than that.  Rationality has been thrown out the window.  Hearing of some soccer games where kids can't throw the ball in fearing the spread...insanity has taken over.

No school district has ever been able to clearly define what the measure is and where it needs to be.  Too busy waiting for the teachers union to tell them what to do next.

No one is downplaying the reality of this virus but let's start applying some common sense.

That positivity rate number is kind of garbage in it's own right. Cause it uses the total number of tests. It worked early cause there wasn't a lot of testing, but now you have people taking tests over and over again for work or whatever, or just out of luxury, and they are all negative, so it skews that number into the dirt.

Going by the 100k number it's based on total population, but takes out concern of a large or small area cause they cap the number per 100k. It will move up and down more and give you a better indication than the other one will. For analogy sake, think about all those tests done in sports right now, knowing that 98% of them are going to come back negative, you're adding all those repeat negative tests back into the number and watering it down.

We play travel, but haven't seen anything that crazy. We play full on normal rules, and if you've got a fancy passing finesse based team, sure there's probably some space. But our girls are a physical defensive team, so they are constantly up on each other in scrums, it's pretty close to as risky as tackle football. Me personally, I think tackle should have been dropped this year, and run it all as flag football. You still get the chance to teach the skill work, the plays, and if anything agility improves since you are running from contact, not trying to bounce off it. Then let them work tackle back in later as they get older...would save a lot of wear and tear and concussions.

Oh no, it's far from that. They are flat out telling the teachers union what is going to happen. There's a no strike agreement here in MD, so at the end of the day the union has zero power. Sure it'll help fight for someone that was fired unfairly, or when a contract was violated...but not gonna help in a situation like this. You should see some of the issues with these plans. I'm all about everyone having the choice if they want to go back or stay virtual, but their idea of going back looks like prison...and there's only so much you can do, cause schools in general are petri dishes, and going into flu season, and cold, with no circulation and an airborne virus is a recipe for disaster. Not saying those that want to shouldn't...to each their own. But they shouldn't be able to force others to do it too, including teachers (but I'm sure some teachers would be good with going back too, the fact they won't even get the numbers and see how many teachers and parents want to go back or not is a big problem to start with)

I'm all about the common sense, but where is that line? The anti-maskers making it about taking away freedoms? Going out and acting like it's no big deal, the chances of getting it are tiny, and if i do I'll be fine (ignoring who else they would spread it to). To the counter point, staying shut down forever isn't practical either. But things worked when we could take advantage of outside and the airflow, it's gonna be a different world when more and more people are around each other inside. Natural selection, if someone wants to risk all that, and they go, they go, but don't let them take other people down with them that don't want to.

@JeremyMStrain

#31 lballer

lballer
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:16 PM

Wear a mask, limit crowds/classroom size, teach/learn virtual if you don't feel safe coming to school...open schools now, and let them play.  Let's stop overthinking this and coming up with every reason to not do it.

#32 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:28 PM

Wear a mask, limit crowds/classroom size, teach/learn virtual if you don't feel safe coming to school...open schools now, and let them play. Let's stop overthinking this and coming up with every reason to not do it.

Sorry for over thinking nearly a quarter million lives lost and counting. I think we need to rise up as human beings and put our selfish desires to the side for a time and look out for one another. You know, like pretty much every other country in the world is doing right now.

I never knew what "Freedom" actually meant was having the freedom to not give a damn about human life.

#33 lballer

lballer
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:36 PM

What part of "wear a mask, limit crowds/classroom size, teach/learn virtual if you don't feel safe coming to school" is not looking out for one another?

No one is downplaying the deaths and human lives (although I would like to know how many of those are solely attributed to Covid).  

• Oldtime likes this

#34 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:40 AM

What part of "wear a mask, limit crowds/classroom size, teach/learn virtual if you don't feel safe coming to school" is not looking out for one another?

No one is downplaying the deaths and human lives (although I would like to know how many of those are solely attributed to Covid).  

Schools are starting to rethink their position on hybrid learning, with the slight uptick in numbers, and at least in AA, the pushback from teachers and parents. AA is supposed to be making a final decision by the end of the month.

#35 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:49 AM

Wear a mask, limit crowds/classroom size, teach/learn virtual if you don't feel safe coming to school...open schools now, and let them play. Let's stop overthinking this and coming up with every reason to not do it.

But that’s part of the problem. People who don’t feel safe coming to school are being forced to. They should have started things by asking how many teachers wanted to return and how many kids did and then you know if you can just send those that want to back and let the rest stay away. They didn’t do that and they are kind of working backwards.

It’s not that things can’t get to what you are talking about. But the plans right now are so half assed they don’t work.
@JeremyMStrain

#36 Oldtime

Oldtime
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:47 AM

Of course. But people going around just blindly ignoring facts and evidence because of who writes it is one of the biggest marks he's left on this country. In the past, at least we could acknowledge a fact as a fact. Now, the NY Times or Washington Post or Vox could say the sky is blue, and 35% of the most stupid in our population would argue it isn't true because it's the NY Times, Washington Post or Vox.

Speaking of facts, what are the recovery rates?

#37 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:56 AM

Pretty damn good, but that doesnt lessen the pain, those with lost love ones have felt.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:59 AM

I don't know, let me ask one of the 221,013 Americans who are no longer with us, I'll get back to you.

#39 Oldtime

Oldtime
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:31 AM

I don't know, let me ask one of the 221,013 Americans who are no longer with us, I'll get back to you.

Or maybe one of the 7m that have recovered.

#40 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:40 AM

I think its also perspective.

Estimate 95K died in 2019 in the USA from the Flu.

So while COVID is more deadly than the FLU, we survived it better than the Spanish Flu or Black Plaque.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=