102 replies to this topic

#81 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:42 AM

Thanks. We were just saying how none of us regretted anything and we felt pretty safe (there was a near miss for our team recently) but we wonder if our window is closing a little bit. Soccer is a bit more high risk than baseball so we have friends that have been able to play with almost zero worry at all. I’m glad things are still going well for your son. Have they talked about Spring Season yet at all?

I image tennis would be a relatively safe sport to play. I know of a family friend's whose son got a full ride to play college tennis, shocked the heck out of me. He was pretty upset when they shutdown college last year during his final spring and sent everybody home.

Not upset at the decision, but upset that covid impacted his ability to finish his junior year.

They are still doing online learning and havent opened back up their campus.

#82 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:09 PM

I image tennis would be a relatively safe sport to play. I know of a family friend's whose son got a full ride to play college tennis, shocked the heck out of me. He was pretty upset when they shutdown college last year during his final spring and sent everybody home.

Not upset at the decision, but upset that covid impacted his ability to finish his junior year.

I feel bad for the kids that have been affected by loss of their seasons.

It is easy for us to say that the sports schedules do not matter, but for the athlete's most of which are seeing their playing careers near the end of the road, canceling the season sucks.

@mikeghg

#83 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:23 PM

I feel bad for the kids that have been affected by loss of their seasons.

It is easy for us to say that the sports schedules do not matter, but for the athlete's most of which are seeing their playing careers near the end of the road, canceling the season sucks.

i get it, people have lost proms, walking across the stage and getting their diploma and all kind of other once in a lifetime experience.

For the most part, these people are still alive and breathing to keep experiencing life.

#84 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:46 PM

I think they hope to play in the spring.

My guess is that their schedule will be dependent on the status of the other schools in the conference.

They played twelve games last spring before shutting down and they were all non conference games.

My guess if that they will play this spring. 

Yeah I suspect that's what a lot are going to do. Seems like most are in wait and see mode right now and want to see what the winter brings before committing. I was just curious if some were getting out ahead. I know the Chesapeake Region of USA Volleyball is planning for a normal season with some slight restrictions on people, but all still indoor and still tournament based. I don't see any way it works and it'll have to get shut down pretty quickly...but they are still plowing ahead like it's going to start in 2 weeks.

@JeremyMStrain

#85 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:52 PM

Yeah I thought the safer sports like that would continue on and the more at risk would be the ones shut down. Like baseball, and softball have minor tweaks you could do to make it fairly safe. Tennis should be easy. Golf. Swimming. But you get into the middle range, Soccer, Lax, Field Hockey...non contact, but lets be real, they spend a ton of time up against each other. Then you've got the no brainers to shut down like Wrestling, and Basketball. It gets dicier when you think the indoor part of it is the risk, so is swimming really safe-ish? How about volleyball, plenty of distancing, but indoors. This thing is airborne and I think that's where the biggest risk is.

I really feel for those kids like your friends, or a guy on a board with me, his kid is a football and lacrosse player at a highly nationally ranked HS. A junior who should be committing to college right now, and can't get eyes on him to give him a scholly.

@JeremyMStrain

#86 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:59 PM

Yeah I thought the safer sports like that would continue on and the more at risk would be the ones shut down. Like baseball, and softball have minor tweaks you could do to make it fairly safe. Tennis should be easy. Golf. Swimming. But you get into the middle range, Soccer, Lax, Field Hockey...non contact, but lets be real, they spend a ton of time up against each other. Then you've got the no brainers to shut down like Wrestling, and Basketball. It gets dicier when you think the indoor part of it is the risk, so is swimming really safe-ish? How about volleyball, plenty of distancing, but indoors. This thing is airborne and I think that's where the biggest risk is.

I really feel for those kids like your friends, or a guy on a board with me, his kid is a football and lacrosse player at a highly nationally ranked HS. A junior who should be committing to college right now, and can't get eyes on him to give him a scholly.

We fought that internal battle, about weather to take the grandkids to the indoor public pool, recently. Figuring the chlorine water was safe, the pool was deserted and we braved it for 90 minutes, and we all had a good time, but in the back of your mind, the little voice is telling you, this is a stupid risk. We wrapped up went home and then showered and changed.

#87 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:07 PM

We fought that internal battle, about weather to take the grandkids to the indoor public pool, recently. Figuring the chlorine water was safe, the pool was deserted and we braved it for 90 minutes, and we all had a good time, but in the back of your mind, the little voice is telling you, this is a stupid risk. We wrapped up went home and then showered and changed.

Yeah I know what you mean. We were fine being at the outdoor pool all summer. But those two indoor were open like a week before there was a full blown outbreak. The chlorine I trust, the air circulation in that muggy building...not so much. It sucks cause I was dying to take the kids to Great Wolf Lodge when it's capped at 40%, being there not so crowded would have been amazing. I just couldn't trust it.

• Old Man likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#88 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:53 PM

How about volleyball, plenty of distancing, but indoors. This thing is airborne and I think that's where the biggest risk is.

Is there always plenty of distancing in volleyball?  I'm thinking of any time there's a ball at the net - aren't the spiker and blocker basically face-to-face, about a foot apart?

#89 Oldtime

Oldtime
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:05 AM

Internal American propaganda works well. Military industrial complex and capitalism.

I happen to care more about education, equal opportunity, righting your wrongs (IE owning our racist past and making it right), and it'd be neat to live somewhere where the top 1% doesn't own 44% of the wealth. And so much more, but best to drop it here and move on.

Talk about buying into propaganda. Good luck with ever being successful waiting for handouts. Take a risk, it’s really not that bad. Be responsible for ones own actions/decisions. When one talks about reparations, we should start with the Native Americans if anything.

#90 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:45 AM

Talk about buying into propaganda. Good luck with ever being successful waiting for handouts. Take a risk, it’s really not that bad. Be responsible for ones own actions/decisions. When one talks about reparations, we should start with the Native Americans if anything.

Go further back, what about all the people whipped out in the flood and only leaving Noah and his family around. What about that injustice? :) :) :) :)

#91 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:33 AM

Is there always plenty of distancing in volleyball? I'm thinking of any time there's a ball at the net - aren't the spiker and blocker basically face-to-face, about a foot apart?

Our level is 12/13U so we don’t get any of that really. They break the 6 foot thing for sure, but there’s still a good 3-4 feet between them.

For the older and college aged yeah they are probably right there with each other but still more room and less contact than soccer.
@JeremyMStrain

#92 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:36 AM

Our level is 12/13U so we don’t get any of that really. They break the 6 foot thing for sure, but there’s still a good 3-4 feet between them.

For the older and college aged yeah they are probably right there with each other but still more room and less contact than soccer.

except for all the touching of the ball during game play.

Personally, I think I would be okay with this as a parent/grandparent, even before covid, there was always risk in life.

You dont want to be a hermit, but you do need to be smart and safe about things as you try to go about life.

#93 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:47 AM

Go further back, what about all the people whipped out in the flood and only leaving Noah and his family around. What about that injustice? :) :) :) :)

Sounds like someone is looking for utopia or what these Hanna Barbara characters are pining for in this song.

• Old Man likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#94 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:46 AM

except for all the touching of the ball during game play.

Personally, I think I would be okay with this as a parent/grandparent, even before covid, there was always risk in life.

You dont want to be a hermit, but you do need to be smart and safe about things as you try to go about life.

Yeah the ball part doesn’t bother me too much. Really my problem is that it’s indoors. It’s all tournament play so these tournaments have 300-400 kids inside these warehouses at a time and with this being airborne that’s just too many.
  • Old Man likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#95 Oldtime

Oldtime
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:16 AM

i get it, people have lost proms, walking across the stage and getting their diploma and all kind of other once in a lifetime experience.

For the most part, these people are still alive and breathing to keep experiencing life.

What about the families that have lost loved ones and couldn’t have funerals, of course unless your loved one was made a martyr.

#96 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:35 AM

What about the families that have lost loved ones and couldn’t have funerals, of course unless your loved one was made a martyr.

You are correct, streaming funerals isnt anything I had ever wanted to do.

Im sure there are a million other events, I neglected to mention.

#97 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:31 AM

Looking like the rest of the world is respiking COVID cases.

#98 OLINE

OLINE
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:50 PM

https://www.google.c...f4db65.amp.html

This was shared to the powers that be from Andy Warner. It’s important everyone adjust their thinking about this whole thing as we learn more. This is good news.

https://www.google.c...vid-daily-cover

This article talks about how playing football is not a high risk sport. Again it’s important to stay up to date with info and change thinking if new data arises.

#99 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:16 PM

Balt Sun: Baltimore County prepares for fall ‘re-engagement’ of high school athletics

#100 BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSL HS Analyst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:18 PM

Like the City-Poly annual classic, which had played 131 consecutive years from 1889 through 2019, the Calvert Hall-Loyola game, which celebrated its 100th consecutive Thanksgiving meeting last year, has been scrapped because of the pandemic.

https://www.baltimor...?outputType=amp
@aka_themamba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=