68 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,398 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 01:56 PM

Why would he go back? I mean, if this comes back, what if he can’t play baseball next year? He will be worth less.

Take your money now.

According to the article Mike posted, two teams tried to draft him before, called him and discussed an overslot bonus, but neither reached his number so they didn't draft him. The O's met his number (or offered close enough that he agreed).

So if he didn't get a certain amount he was gonna go to college and try again in a few years. Plenty of guys do that, even when the bonuses being offered are life changing ($500k+).

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 June 2020 - 02:43 PM

According to the article Mike posted, two teams tried to draft him before, called him and discussed an overslot bonus, but neither reached his number so they didn't draft him. The O's met his number (or offered close enough that he agreed).

So if he didn't get a certain amount he was gonna go to college and try again in a few years. Plenty of guys do that, even when the bonuses being offered are life changing ($500k+).

Yea, my thought is with the uncertainty of corona hanging over our heads, you would think he would be more willing to sign.

#23 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 June 2020 - 02:48 PM

Why would he go back? I mean, if this comes back, what if he can’t play baseball next year? He will be worth less.

Take your money now.

I feel the same way.  Hopefully this Covid thing is over by the next season, but no guarantees.  Combined with the injury issues,  Take the money.

@mikeghg

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,398 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 02:49 PM

Yea. It my thought is with the uncertainty of corona hanging over our heads, you would think he would be more willing to sign.

Maybe a little, that makes perfect sense.

But if he goes to school, he's gotta stay for 3 years.  So I doubt the potential uncertainty about the next 6-12 months is a driving factor in terms of lowering his number.  And I'd suspect that he already took that into account with his family and advisors before coming up with his number.

#25 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 June 2020 - 02:53 PM

But if he goes to school, he's gotta stay for 3 years.  So I doubt the potential uncertainty about the next 6-12 months is a driving factor in terms of lowering his number.  And I'd suspect that he already took that into account with his family and advisors before coming up with his number.

Who knows how much baseball he will be playing in college, the next year.  Better to have a fat wallet then sit by waiting for the all clear.

@mikeghg

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,398 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 02:58 PM

Who knows how much baseball he will be playing in college, the next year. Better to have a fat wallet then sit by waiting for the all clear.

Slot is still a huge amount of money to most people, over $400k, but that fat wallet wasn't worth it to him to forego college.

He had a number where if it wasn't met, he'd go to school, and it wasn't slot. My point is that I'm sure he considered all factors, including the potential for no 2021 season, when determining his number. If the O's offered him slot, huge amount of money that it is, he doesn't sign. If he's to be believed, two other teams tried to work out an above slot deal, but didn't meet his number, so he turned them down.

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:41 PM

Unless he goes JuCo.

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:42 PM

With Mayo already done, no reason to think this isn't about done either.

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,398 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:45 PM

Unless he goes JuCo.

Yeah I know that's the rule but I'm not really counting that as much of an option for him. TCU or getting his number are the options I assume he was legitimately considering. And a possible JuCo route would've been taken into account when he's settling on what that number is.

#30 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:53 PM

.... The Orioles could really use a steal late in this draft.

....remember when, in round 5, we were just getting started?  :)

#31 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 12 June 2020 - 06:01 PM

I had said 1.5-2, but I'm guessing it's a little higher than that.  If he goes the Mitch Keller route he's looking at possibly being at the back of the first round with a season and he could get into the first (projection) in 3 years.  Back of the 1st is just under 2.5M, so I'll put the over/under at 2.5M.

#32 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 June 2020 - 09:10 PM

With Mayo already done, no reason to think this isn't about done either.

From the article it sounded like he needs to get a physical.  We know the Orioles never have problems, with having players pass their physicals.

@mikeghg

#33 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 14 June 2020 - 08:12 AM

$1.5 million for Baumler https://twitter.com/...885868265926656

• BSLChrisStoner and SportsGuy like this
@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 June 2020 - 08:55 AM

Great news.

#35 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 June 2020 - 10:50 AM

$1.5 million for Baumler

Strikes me as odd that the other teams that checked in on him couldn't get to 1.5M.

There's ways for that to happen, like he wants to be an Oriole, they've made promises or whatever, and he tells everyone else 3M...but his number for the Orioles is different.  It's hard to believe that Callis would have thought the commitment to TCU was that significant if his price was 1.5M....because he seemed pretty surprised the Orioles took him.

Anyway, great.  Let's see how he goes.

#36 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 June 2020 - 10:59 AM

$1.5 million for Baumler https://twitter.com/...885868265926656

Sounds like he got the physical.

Getting Mayo and Baumler signed makes the draft look better.

@mikeghg

#37 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 June 2020 - 11:56 AM

I want to hear what Slidemaster thinks before I form an opinion. ;)
  • SportsGuy and Mike B like this

#38 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 01:45 PM

I want to hear what Slidemaster thinks before I form an opinion. ;)

I think signing Mayo and Baumler upgrades this draft from potentially disastrous to merely underwhelming and a poor use of draft position. You may now form your opinion at will.
  • You Play to Win the Game and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#39 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 June 2020 - 02:18 PM

Now that we have been given the all clear, I think the draft as it looks now is okay, but in a time with no sports, it fell short of exciting, which I believe is what the Ravens delivered in April.  It left us with things to talk about for a month.  That said, not fair to compare the 2 drafts.

The good news is that if 2 or 3 of these kids hit, and become good major league players, all the complaining will quickly be forgotten.

@mikeghg

#40 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 14 June 2020 - 04:06 PM

Now that we have been given the all clear, I think the draft as it looks now is okay, but in a time with no sports, it fell short of exciting, which I believe is what the Ravens delivered in April.  It left us with things to talk about for a month.  That said, not fair to compare the 2 drafts.

The good news is that if 2 or 3 of these kids hit, and become good major league players, all the complaining will quickly be forgotten.

Yes but in poker that's called results oriented. A lousy draft can turn out unexpectedly well and a great draft can turn out to be a bust. l just find it hard to fathom how we got this draft with picks 2, 30, and 39. I would much rather have higher rated talent in those first 39 slots than take shots at HS kids. But that's just my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=