• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#42 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 May 2021 - 06:01 AM

Has his OPS over 1.000 after a 2-3 night with a couple of walks and a homerun.

• Il BuonO likes this

#43 Il BuonO

Il BuonO

Opposite Field Power

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 15 May 2021 - 06:18 AM

Has his OPS over 1.000 after a 2-3 night with a couple of walks and a homerun.

Is he playing SS and how many games has he played?

#44 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 15 May 2021 - 06:25 AM

Played in 9 games, 5 at 3B, 4 at SS. Hitting cleanup behind Henderson in all but 1 or 2 games.

• You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan and Il BuonO like this
@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 07:07 AM

I'm excited about his prospects of moving quickly.  His 2nd half should be at AA. 

• BobPhelan and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#46 ZachSpedden

ZachSpedden

HOF

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:28 AM

Played in 9 games, 5 at 3B, 4 at SS. Hitting cleanup behind Henderson in all but 1 or 2 games.

I like that he's getting the opportunity to move around the infield. Hopefully we see him get some time at second base, either at Delmarva or at a higher level. 

• BobPhelan likes this

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 05:31 PM

As an advanced college bat, starting at Low A is really slow playing things. 

Three straight games with 2 hits. 

#48 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 08:20 PM

I think things are going to have to clear out at the MLB/AAA level before guys like Westburg move up. Each level has soooo many middle infielders that they have Richie Martin/Mason McCoy/Adam Hall playing CF to get playing time. 

I will say that he's been the most consistent defender between Henderson/Servideo and himself in Delmarva and I love the arm. Should fit in well at 3B. 

But as fun as it's been watching this entire Delmarva team, it will be nice to see them play some real competition. Fredericksburg might be one of the worst pro baseball teams I've ever watched. 

Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#49 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 May 2021 - 07:30 AM

I think things are going to have to clear out at the MLB/AAA level before guys like Westburg move up. Each level has soooo many middle infielders that they have Richie Martin/Mason McCoy/Adam Hall playing CF to get playing time. 

I will say that he's been the most consistent defender between Henderson/Servideo and himself in Delmarva and I love the arm. Should fit in well at 3B. 

But as fun as it's been watching this entire Delmarva team, it will be nice to see them play some real competition. Fredericksburg might be one of the worst pro baseball teams I've ever watched. 

Yeah but how many of those sooo many are actually any good? If guys like Westburg are held back by quality above them then fantastic. If he's held back because of numbers then thats a different story.

#50 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 07:40 AM

5 of them are Top 30 prospects who have earned their position for right now, plus Joey Ortiz who has been discussed by Matt Blood as being an everyday major league shortstop. No one is being held back right now, IMO. The 2020 draft picks have never seen a pro pitch before May 4 and hadn't seen a real game in 14 months. 

• BobPhelan, ZachSpedden, TwentyThirtyFive and 1 other like this

#51 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 07:43 AM

5 of them are Top 30 prospects who have earned their position for right now, plus Joey Ortiz who has been discussed by Matt Blood as being an everyday major league shortstop. No one is being held back right now, IMO. The 2020 draft picks have never seen a pro pitch before May 4 and hadn't seen a real game in 14 months.

This is where I am. Not a single pro inning. Itll sort itself out and I do think the Os might be a little more aggressive later in the year once these guys have their legs under them.

#52 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 May 2021 - 07:49 AM

The fear, for me at least, is Elias trying to drag this rebuild on and get a free pass in the standings for as long as possible. I don't see any benefit of being at a level where you're not challenged.

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 08:40 AM

Not at all worried about a "too many shortstops" problem.  That problem has never existed for any team in the history of the sport, doubt the Orioles will be the first.  There are enough innings available to give each of these guys enough run to find out what you need to know about their glove, even if time is split when more than one guy is at the same level.  Most of these guys won't be able to handle the position defensively, and if we end up with more than one who can, you can easily change one of those guys to another position.  Fielders who can play SS well can play anywhere (except catcher).  If we do get to a point where there are two legitimately good MLB caliber shortstops and egos get in the way of moving either of them to another position, then you can make a trade.

#54 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 May 2021 - 08:48 AM

Not at all worried about a "too many shortstops" problem. That problem has never existed for any team in the history of the sport, doubt the Orioles will be the first. Most of these guys won't be able to handle the position defensively, and if we end up with more than one who can, you can easily change one of those guys to another position. Fielders who can play SS well can play anywhere (except catcher).

What you're saying has some merit, but not all shortstops can play a good OF. There are of choose different skills involved. For instance a SS may not be great at tracking flyballs.

But ultimately, I'm just going to make this point by saying there's a couple well known Orioles shortstops that would not have been good outfielders, especially in CF. In fact one of them started a trend that makes your point less true.

Of course I'm talking about Cal Ripken. JJ Hardy would be the other prime example. Even after that, I don't see Tejada or Manny being able to play a competent centerfield.

Overall, I agree that this isn't a problem though.

#55 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 08:53 AM

Definitely. I'm past ready to give up on Grenier but no one else is really ready for AA right now anyway. I could flip Westburg and Adam Hall (basically same age plus I'm not high on Hall until he can show a ISO > .100), but it's not a big deal right now given it's Westburg's first month in the pros. 

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 08:55 AM

Fair point, but if Cal or Tejada or Hardy had switched positions at 21 years old I'm guessing they would've been fine for the next several years.  Would've needed to develop a little differently, perhaps. 

I think there are far more SS who could play CF than those who couldn't.  And all of the ones who couldn't could play in one of the corners.

#57 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:02 AM

Fair point, but if Cal or Tejada or Hardy had switched positions at 21 years old I'm guessing they would've been fine for the next several years. Would've needed to develop a little differently, perhaps.

I think there are far more SS who could play CF than those who couldn't. And all of the ones who couldn't could play in one of the corners.

I highly doubt Cal and JJ would have been fine in CF. Corners, I guess, but I doubt a team would have been happy with it, and that's before thinking about how much worse their bat would play there. JJ wouldn't have been a starting corner OF for instance.

#58 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:02 AM

Definitely. I'm past ready to give up on Grenier but no one else is really ready for AA right now anyway. I could flip Westburg and Adam Hall (basically same age plus I'm not high on Hall until he can show a ISO > .100), but it's not a big deal right now given it's Westburg's first month in the pros. 

Yeah, I hate using this term, but Grenier is just minor league roster filler. He can't hit. And Adam Hall looks rough at the plate and even worse defensively right now. But the rest of this middle infield group has been playing well, for 2 weeks. 

I also agree with an above comment about the Orioles being more aggressive later this season. I bet there's a big shakeup by the trade deadline once moves are made and they have a better idea of what these guys currently in the system look like after a long layoff and real games finally under their belt.

• BobPhelan likes this

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:13 AM

I highly doubt Cal and JJ would have been fine in CF. Corners, I guess, but I doubt a team would have been happy with it, and that's before thinking about how much worse their bat would play there. JJ wouldn't have been a starting corner OF for instance.

Cal I'm sure would have. He was wildly athletic and wasn't as bulky as a younger guy.  Don't know about Hardy, but I think he's got a good shot.  Agree he was better because of quickness and especially amazing hands than being a fast guy, but I think he could be ok in CF.   Tejada also I think would've been fine.  None of those guys are playing CF in their 30s, at least not as we recognized them, but most CF don't get to stay there deep into their 30s anyways.  I think ~25 y/o versions of those guys all have a good shot at being acceptable defensively in CF and certainly in a corner for a longer time.

JJ wouldn't have been a league average bat in LF but he wouldn't have been far below (715 career OPS compared to 750 league average for LF during his career).  Whether guys hit well enough to carry weight at other positions is a tangent that I'm not super concerned about.  It really doesn't matter what league average is when moving guys around on your own team, it just matters if you can find someone better.  If we already have or think we can find a better hitting and compent defensive LF and CF and 2B and 3B than the guy who is the 2nd best SS on the team, then a positional change isn't in the cards and you're looking moreso for a trade.

#60 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:45 AM

I think you're overrating those guys' ability to play CF, but whatever. Again though, even if one is an athletic and fast shortstop, that doesn't automatically mean they'll be a good CF.

As far as the positions, yes, I agree with that, but generally speaking I'd prefer the trade option rather than moving capable shortstops around, especially considering the value of the player is partially tied to them playing the position.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=