393 replies to this topic

#141 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:09 AM

Love the look of many of the cards from around 1975 and older.

The newer stuff doesn’t hold a candle to them imo.

When Upper Deck first came out, they were the first to put a picture on the back of the card as well iirc.

The Griffey rookie was always one of the prettiest cards I saw but the older cards were always, in general, the better looking ones.

I do as well. That's why that '56 Lux is my favorite. You get a real nice action shot with a real good portrait. Topps went away from the action shot for a number of years until the 80's, which is unfortunate.

https://www.cardboar...cards-1951-2017

@BSLMikeRandall

#142 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:12 AM

I do as well. That's why that '56 Lux is my favorite. You get a real nice action shot with a real good portrait. Topps went away from the action shot for a number of years until the 80's, which is unfortunate.

https://www.cardboar...cards-1951-2017

1975 was always one of my favorites.

I’m just drawn to the older memorabilia in general. I don’t know why, especially since my baseball history knowledge isn’t that strong.

#143 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:16 AM

Trout in Topps 1965.  These Topps choice inserts are cool. But they do wear throwbacks enough these days that they should try to match the throwback jersey with the year of the card they use. From this angle, you could get the "halo" cap in there. Would take em to the next level.

1WvfXgJ.png

@BSLMikeRandall

#144 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:20 AM

1975 was always one of my favorites.

I’m just drawn to the older memorabilia in general. I don’t know why, especially since my baseball history knowledge isn’t that strong.

I need to fill out a 1974 set. About 10 years ago I bought a box from a guy at a yard sale that was all 1974 Topps for $5. I put them in a binder in numerical order. I need about 50 more cards to complete the set, but it's all the expensive ones which the guy obviously pulled out. Reggie Jackson, Jim Palmer, etc... are missing.

@BSLMikeRandall

#145 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:39 AM

So I went on ebay and bid on a box of 2020 Bowman.  Ended up getting it for like $180.  Great deal right?  I pay immediately.  Today I get an email, seller canceled the order, claimed he was "out of stock" and refunded me.

Sucks that all I can do is ding him with a negative feedback.  What a scum bag. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#146 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:43 AM

So I went on ebay and bid on a box of 2020 Bowman.  Ended up getting it for like $180.  Great deal right?  I pay immediately.  Today I get an email, seller canceled the order, claimed he was "out of stock" and refunded me.

Sucks that all I can do is ding him with a negative feedback.  What a scum bag. 

Yeah that's BS. People know they can set it at buy it now for the price they want and not have an auction right? 

Although, negative feedback is probably more detrimental on ebay than on other places. (Yelp, google, etc...).

• Pedro Cerrano likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#147 BSLPatDonohue

BSLPatDonohue

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:24 PM

Scherzer batting in Expos powder blue. This is a short print which comes in 1 out of 43 hobby box packs. A hobby box has 24 packs, so roughly 1 in every two hobby boxes. I've bought two of them, and both had a short print. The other was an Aaron Judge that was not as cool. Though Judge has a Super Short Print where he is in the on deck circle and Babe Ruth is photo shopped into the stands behind him. 

Anyway....

CVHn1ru.png

This is a great looking card

• Mike in STL likes this

#148 BSLPatDonohue

BSLPatDonohue

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:25 PM

Bryce Harper's cards are pretty dope. Series 1 with the throwback powder blue and the Phanatic head band. Heritage looks like it fits in 1971 with the no batting gloves, no wrist bands. Again, the black background, edges stick out like a sore thumb. Trust me, I handle with care. 

xOHILDV.png

These are also some great looking cards. Topps is doing some great work bringing back some of their old designs.

• Mike in STL likes this

#149 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:47 PM

Pat...do you have any buddies that collect? I am trying to get at least 10 folks together to do a 2020 bowman break (3 teams/person).

@bopper33

#150 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:47 PM

Yeah that's BS. People know they can set it at buy it now for the price they want and not have an auction right?

Although, negative feedback is probably more detrimental on ebay than on other places. (Yelp, google, etc...).

Well I went and checked his profile again and my negative comment is gone.

He prolly reached out and lied to eBay

@bopper33

#151 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:50 PM

Well I went and checked his profile again and my negative comment is gone.

He prolly reached out and lied to eBay

F that guy. Reach back out to eBay. Don’t let them win!
@BSLMikeRandall

#152 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:40 PM

Topps 2020 Series 2 out today.

Jumbo hobby boxes (10 packs of 46) promise one auto and two relics. Watched a break on YouTube. It picks up where series 1 leaves off, completing the 700 card base set with numbers 351-700. Series 1 was so stacked though that the only card worth looking for in Series 2 Luis Robert RCs.

To make up for it, Series 2 promotes Mike Trout as “Player of the Decade” with a series of Trout insert cards. Some are apparently autographed.

Jumbo box from the one video seemed to have more numbered parallels than the regular hobby box does.
@BSLMikeRandall

#153 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:57 PM

Scooped up 10 packs of Bowman 2020 today -- guy at the store was nice enough to crack a fresh box for me to give me fresh auto odds.

Of course, no auto.  Pulled a Jazz Chisholm chrome parallel.  I have a TON of Chisholm parallels.  If he ends up being a super star I will cash in. 

@bopper33

#154 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:57 PM

The two guys that I could really really use becoming awesome are Chisholm and Jarren Duran on Boston (just do it on another team Jarren!) lol 

@bopper33

#155 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:02 PM

I almost bought some packs of Topps Series 1 today but it doesn’t seem like there is a whole lot to get that’s worth it?

#156 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:03 PM

I almost bought some packs of Topps Series 1 today but it doesn’t seem like there is a whole lot to get that’s worth it?

Yea it’s their standard line. Series 2 came out today. In series 1 you want an auto or parallel of a rookie card of like Lux.

@bopper33

#157 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:16 PM

Scooped up 10 packs of Bowman 2020 today -- guy at the store was nice enough to crack a fresh box for me to give me fresh auto odds.

Of course, no auto. Pulled a Jazz Chisholm chrome parallel. I have a TON of Chisholm parallels. If he ends up being a super star I will cash in.

He's got a superstar name.

#158 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:18 PM

He's got a superstar name.

The anti Hayden Penn?

#159 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:29 PM

Of course, no auto. Pulled a Jazz Chisholm chrome parallel. I have a TON of Chisholm parallels. If he ends up being a super star I will cash in.

The Chisholm Parallel sounds like a great Star Trek episode.

#160 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:31 PM

The only thing that’s “worth it” is Bowman, if you pull something #/99 or less. but that’s why they are so pricy too. I guess the public said at some point that prospects first cards and first autographs are going to be worth the most.

I’d watch some YouTube of box breaks and decide for yourself what’s worth it to you. There’s a few where they do a hobby box then the equivalent price in retail packs and see which one is better. Hobby usually wins, but not always.

Also, what’s worth it is in the eye of the beholder. You like the older style cards, maybe Heritage is up your alley?

Series 1 has a ton of worthy rookie cards though, while series 2 looks like it has Robert and that’s it.

“Phil’s Pulls” on YouTube is edited fantastically and hilariously to break up the monotony of watching someone rip open cards, and he seems to know his stuff. Doesn’t get too excited about “flashy” inserts that look great but are worth little. The video I watched today of a guy with Series 2 had a Gallo relic card that had a final season of their ballpark patch in it, and he was like “it’s gotta be 1 of 1! I can’t believe it.” It’s like a $2 card. It’s manufactured by Topps. There are many of them. But it looks cool, and for a Rangers fan, it might be worth more than $2 to them to put on their shelf.

Boils down to if you want to spend top dollar, get a bunch of maybes and never heard ofs but possibly pull a $500-$1,000 card, stick to Bowman. If you want a reasonably priced box with a bunch of today’s players, their MLB rookie cards, and maybe pull a $50-$100 card, go with series 1.

I guess with Bowman you’ll constantly go back to the box with your collection and see if someone came up, or is on the radar, and maybe you got their 1st edition card four years ago, thought nothing of it, but can now cash in.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=