393 replies to this topic

#121 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 07:49 PM

Randall I'm looking to maybe do a Bowman 2020 break if you're interested -- if my math is right, with shipping, would prolly work out to $15/team or so. Would like to find at least 10 people so we can have 3 teams/person.

Count me in.
@BSLMikeRandall

#122 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,944 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:02 PM

Are any of Topps products worth buying this year?

Also saw some Bowman Blaster boxes in Walmart recently. Considered buying one.

#123 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:11 PM

If you ever see a blaster box and don’t want it pick it up for me. I’ll Venmo

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#124 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:47 PM

Depends on what you're looking for. I just got back into it this year. I like Series 1. The action shots are pretty top notch. Feel like you get a ton of rookie cards as well. There are lots of inserts like Topps Choice which will feature a current player in a different Topps format. Got a Christian Yelich in Topps 1991 which took me back to my childhood. Also A Gavin Lux RC in 1956 Topps which is just a really pretty card. They also feature inserts of 1985 Topps in current and past players for the 35th anniversary. If you're familiar with Turkey Red, they come in retail packs. Short Print Variations are cool, like Scherzer batting in expos powder blue throwback, but I've only picked two in the two hobby boxes I bought and none in retail. Also haven't scored any parallels other than gold which is #/2020. (I did get one black parallel in a hobby box #/299) There are a lot of parallels though. The usual colors, plus Independence day, Camo, mothers day pink, fathers day blue, advanced stats on the back, french text on the back...Haven't seen any of them. 

I also bought a decent amount of Topps Heritage blaster boxes, but the hits were hard to come by. Even the hobby box doesn't look like there are many, so I passed on those. They say it's for set builders. This years version is based on 1971 Topps with the black background. Black background on tan paper makes the edges look rough right out of the pack. Gonna be hard to get them graded to a PSA 10, IMO, if you're into that kind of thing. But the short prints are the high number cards (#400-500), and they go on ebay it seems for a couple bucks more than your base series 1 cards.  

Topps Opening Day is usually cheaper, and cheaper quality cards, but look the same as series 1.

I don't know much about Finest, Allen and Ginter, Gypsy Queen...but they have less cards and charge more money so...

Pro Debut just came out and is all minor leaguers. They look like Series 1 but with the minor league teams. So it would say like "Adley Rutchman, Aberdeen Ironbirds" instead of "Baltimore Orioles". If you're into minor leaguers, go with Bowman.

End of the day, Topps Series 1 hobby box netted a good amount of fun cards for the price ($99 for 24 packs of 14 cards). Guaranteed an auto or a relic in each box. Plus four Silver Pack cards. Higher odds of parallels in the hobby boxes too. But if you're into the lottery of potentially pulling a $10K card, gonna have to spend on Bowman. 

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#125 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:26 PM

Also, Topps Series 2 comes out on the 26th.

https://www.beckett....baseball-cards/

@BSLMikeRandall

#126 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 11:00 PM

Not for nothing but Bowman is technically a Topps product :-) 

@bopper33

#127 BSLPatDonohue

BSLPatDonohue

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:08 PM

I love that there is a thread for this. Been an avid sports card collector most of my life. Got away from it a bit in college, mostly because I didn't have the time or the money, but I've picked it back up again recently. Trying to catalog all of my card (has to be at least 10-20k of them) into a spreadsheet. Have a feeling that's going to take me a while LOL. Glad to see there are fellow collectors on the site!

• Mike in STL likes this

#128 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:24 PM

I love that there is a thread for this. Been an avid sports card collector most of my life. Got away from it a bit in college, mostly because I didn't have the time or the money, but I've picked it back up again recently. Trying to catalog all of my card (has to be at least 10-20k of them) into a spreadsheet. Have a feeling that's going to take me a while LOL. Glad to see there are fellow collectors on the site!

Cataloging that many sounds like a lot of work. What are you hoping to get out of it? I went back through mine during quarantine and pulled out a lot of rookie cards of now HOFers. Thought I could put the good cards aside for trading or selling. But most of them ended up having a slightly dinged corner or something cause I got em when I was 6-12 years old. Isn’t really worth it. I think my binders will just be something cool for the grandkids to look at one day.

Anywho...bought anything good this year?
@BSLMikeRandall

#129 BSLPatDonohue

BSLPatDonohue

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 02:42 PM

Cataloging that many sounds like a lot of work. What are you hoping to get out of it? I went back through mine during quarantine and pulled out a lot of rookie cards of now HOFers. Thought I could put the good cards aside for trading or selling. But most of them ended up having a slightly dinged corner or something cause I got em when I was 6-12 years old. Isn’t really worth it. I think my binders will just be something cool for the grandkids to look at one day.

So I started doing it just as a way to go back and look at all my binders and boxes of cards that I hadn't looked at in probably about a decade. Then I figured the catalog would also be a good way to look up what I have if I ever have a question about that or even add in some notes about certain cards if I felt the need to. I should eventually have what is effectively a database of my cards that I can use queries to sift through. I'm only about 5-6k into the cataloging and I'm not really in any rush to get it done, so it could be awhile.

The saddest part about the whole process was going through some of my old cards and finding some absolute gems (lots of HOFer RCs across all the major sports) and them being in pretty rough shape. Most of them don't have any creases in them, but the corners have seen better days. Most of the value in them is probably lost, but the nostalgia is definitely still there.

Was supposed to go to a card show just outside the Philly area right around the time COVID broke out so I haven't had a chance to buy anything new this year, but went to the same show a year or two ago and got some nice cards. My favorite of the bunch was a D.J. Moore (former Maryland Terp, now Carolina Panther) RC that is signed by DJ and also has a patch of his jersey. It's serial numbered out of 25, I believe. 

#130 BSLPatDonohue

BSLPatDonohue

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 02:55 PM

How about yourself? Any good recent additions to your collection?

#131 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:25 PM

I am gathering up Luis Robert -- I sent a /75 insert from the recent Bowman series to Beckett for grading.

Should have it back in 2024. 

• glenn__davis and Mike in STL like this

@bopper33

#132 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 05:22 PM

I am gathering up Luis Robert -- I sent a /75 insert from the recent Bowman series to Beckett for grading.

Should have it back in 2024.

Love to hear about your experience. PSA looks like a hassle.

Also, nice pull. #/75 is nice. Best I’ve gotten is #/199
@BSLMikeRandall

#133 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 05:31 PM

How about yourself? Any good recent additions to your collection?

Nothing really of great note. Rookie cards come easy in Topps series 1. I have like 5 Bichettes, 9 Aquinos between base and turkey red. In heritage there is one that is Yordon and Aquino on the same card. On you tube guys put that right in a top loader. I got one, but of all the other packs I bought I haven’t seen another. Might be rare.

Jake Rodgers auto Rookie Card, in a black parallel is #/199. So I’m rooting for that guy!

I’m gonna start perusing eBay for some auctions and maybe get something lower than value. Was bidding on a Yordan Bowman Chrome RC in purple which I think is #/299, PSA graded 10. but that thing went for over $100 by the end. I maxed bid at $30 and that was with a 1 day to go.
@BSLMikeRandall

#134 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:50 AM

I'm gonna share some of my favorite pulls. Cards that aren't worth a bunch by any means, but cards I just like.

Last night I made a run to target. Against my better judgement picked up two packs of Topps Heritage for Ss and giggles. Finally got a hit out of that set! Trevor Story Chrome, #/999.

You can see that these black background cards in the 1971 style show every little speck of dust in the air, or tiny little fuzz ball from having three cats. Especially when it's blown up this big. 

VXUCw7P.png

@BSLMikeRandall

#135 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:53 AM

Probably my favorite I've pulled this year is the Gavin Lux 1956 Topps Choice RC. Classic look, classic team.

XkvLGxA.png

@BSLMikeRandall

#136 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:54 AM

Funny hat for a 1956 set :)
  • Mike in STL likes this

#137 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:55 AM

Another Topps choice, 1991 Yelich.

1cybpCY.png

@BSLMikeRandall

#138 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:00 AM

Scherzer batting in Expos powder blue. This is a short print which comes in 1 out of 43 hobby box packs. A hobby box has 24 packs, so roughly 1 in every two hobby boxes. I've bought two of them, and both had a short print. The other was an Aaron Judge that was not as cool. Though Judge has a Super Short Print where he is in the on deck circle and Babe Ruth is photo shopped into the stands behind him. 

Anyway....

CVHn1ru.png

@BSLMikeRandall

#139 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:01 AM

Love the look of many of the cards from around 1975 and older.

The newer stuff doesn’t hold a candle to them imo.

When Upper Deck first came out, they were the first to put a picture on the back of the card as well iirc.

The Griffey rookie was always one of the prettiest cards I saw but the older cards were always, in general, the better looking ones.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#140 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:05 AM

Bryce Harper's cards are pretty dope. Series 1 with the throwback powder blue and the Phanatic head band. Heritage looks like it fits in 1971 with the no batting gloves, no wrist bands. Again, the black background, edges stick out like a sore thumb. Trust me, I handle with care. 

xOHILDV.png

@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=