#61 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 May 2020 - 11:55 AM

My Bowman Draft 2019 jumbo box should be here today!

• glenn__davis likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#62 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:13 PM

FYI all the base cards have an advanced stats parallel.  I think they're numbered to 300

My luck I'll get Kohl Stewart and it'll be worth 8 cents instead of 2 cents.

@BSLMikeRandall

#63 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:07 PM

My Bowman Draft 2019 jumbo box should be here today!

Welp, it's been sitting in the Linthicum regional depot since Monday morning.  10 miles from my house.  48+ hours and no tracking update.  Should I start getting worried?

@bopper33

#64 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:01 PM

Welp, it's been sitting in the Linthicum regional depot since Monday morning.  10 miles from my house.  48+ hours and no tracking update.  Should I start getting worried?

Call the 1-800 number
  • Pedro Cerrano likes this

#65 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:34 PM

Finally got the box and I easily got more value in the cards than what I paid (which I've read is rare).

Got a couple Joey Barts, including a super short print chrome variation.

Got the Adley Paper (worth about $10) -- gonna hold onto that one.

Got Wander Franco, a couple Bleday's (including a refractor)

But the best card is a Josh Jung auto refractor.  Goes for about $120 or so on ebay.  Trying to decide whether to grade it and hold it or just sell it right now. Right now I've got it on ebay but I can always take it down before my reserve is met. He projects to be really awesome but, like we've said on here, nobody is a sure thing.

Good stuff. 

• glenn__davis and Mike in STL like this

@bopper33

#66 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:46 PM

Finally got the box and I easily got more value in the cards than what I paid (which I've read is rare).

But the best card is a Josh Jung auto refractor. Goes for about $120 or so on ebay. Trying to decide whether to grade it and hold it or just sell it right now. Right now I've got it on ebay but I can always take it down before my reserve is met. He projects to be really awesome but, like we've said on here, nobody is a sure thing.

Good stuff.

That’s awesome. It looked to me like PSA grading isn’t cheap, and takes a while if you are only doing a few cards. Like 3 months. Plus I’ve recently saw a video on it where a guy took a card from the pack, right to a plastic case, sent it in, got an 8.5 out of 10 cause it wasn’t centered perfect, but only under a microscope like they use to grade would you notice that. He felt like that hurt the value more than if he just sold it without the grading.

I wonder what the market is on eBay for these cards. I like it as a hobby, always did as a kid. I never spent money buying a single cards though. Like if I put the two Bo Bichette Rookies I got up for say $10, someone can go to the store and spend that $10 on 3 or 4 packs, maybe get one, probably get a couple rookies, maybe other good one like Alvarez, Aquino, Lux.
  • Pedro Cerrano likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#67 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:51 PM

That’s awesome. It looked to me like PSA grading isn’t cheap, and takes a while if you are only doing a few cards. Like 3 months. Plus I’ve recently saw a video on it where a guy took a card from the pack, right to a plastic case, sent it in, got an 8.5 out of 10 cause it wasn’t centered perfect, but only under a microscope like they use to grade would you notice that. He felt like that hurt the value more than if he just sold it without the grading.

I wonder what the market is on eBay for these cards. I like it as a hobby, always did as a kid. I never spent money buying a single cards though. Like if I put the two Bo Bichette Rookies I got up for say $10, someone can go to the store and spend that $10 on 3 or 4 packs, maybe get one, probably get a couple rookies, maybe other good one like Alvarez, Aquino, Lux.

They have plastic centering tools you can buy to look at the centering yourself but not sure how accurate they are.

Anyone can tell if the edges surface and corners are good enough to grade. Centering is tough
  • Mike in STL likes this

@bopper33

#68 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:56 PM

But the best card is a Josh Jung auto refractor. Goes for about $120 or so on ebay. Trying to decide whether to grade it and hold it or just sell it right now. Right now I've got it on ebay but I can always take it down before my reserve is met. He projects to be really awesome but, like we've said on here, nobody is a sure thing.

Good stuff.

I'd probably keep most of the stuff knowing full well they'll likely depreciate in the long run. There is just something exhilarating about the dream of owning a card that is sought after and valuable 20-30 yrs down the road.

#69 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:05 PM

I'd probably keep most of the stuff knowing full well they'll likely depreciate in the long run. There is just something exhilarating about the dream of owning a card that is sought after and valuable 20-30 yrs down the road.

Yeah I’d kick myself if I sold a card for $10 today then the guy goes on to be Mike Trout, or Griffey, or Mantle. At the same time the base Miguel Cabrera rookie goes for like $6 on eBay. I have the topps 93 Derek Jeter “1992 draft pick” card which is only about $30-$60 on eBay. I guess unless the guy is the generational superstar, sell em, trade em, keep busting boxes to find the rare versions. Autograph cards, different foils, stamped 1 of 1, or 1 or 50.

Like if guys are getting $100 for base Jasson Dominguez, get that $100, IMO. My $5 Bo Bichette, I’ll probably keep and hope it becomes $30 one day
@BSLMikeRandall

#70 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:10 PM

Yeah I’d kick myself if I sold a card for $10 today then the guy goes on to be Mike Trout, or Griffey, or Mantle. At the same time the base Miguel Cabrera rookie goes for like $6 on eBay. I have the topps 93 Derek Jeter “1992 draft pick” card which is only about $30-$60 on eBay. I guess unless the guy is the generational superstar, sell em, trade em, keep busting boxes to find the rare versions. Autograph cards, different foils, stamped 1 of 1, or 1 or 50.

Like if guys are getting $100 for base Jasson Dominguez, get that $100, IMO. My $5 Bo Bichette, I’ll probably keep and hope it becomes $30 one day

Base Tatis rookie in Chrome Sapphire is like $600 lol.  But it's only four cards per pack. 

@bopper33

#71 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:35 PM

You should always get them graded...provided that they can fetch a grade where it’s worth it.

The grading of stuff is a huge business and a lot of times, people do themselves a disservice to spend the money and have it graded but if you can get those higher grades, it’s so worth it.

I have seen it a lot with diamonds and coins.

#72 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:44 PM

You should always get them graded...provided that they can fetch a grade where it’s worth it.

The grading of stuff is a huge business and a lot of times, people do themselves a disservice to spend the money and have it graded but if you can get those higher grades, it’s so worth it.

I have seen it a lot with diamonds and coins.

Yea but like Rnadall said, you can get a bad grade and sink the value and it's hard to tell (centering) what they're looking for.  With the naked eye it's hard to tell what sort of grade you will get. 

@bopper33

#73 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:59 PM

Yea but like Rnadall said, you can get a bad grade and sink the value and it's hard to tell (centering) what they're looking for. With the naked eye it's hard to tell what sort of grade you will get.

Exactly...that’s where the issue lies.

It probably is worth it to go to a local baseball card shop and get their opinion. In terms of where you live, I know there used to be one right off of Maiden Choice...I wish I could remember the cross street but there was one there (not sure if he’s still there) and of course, they probably aren’t open now.

Still, those guys should be able to tell you.

The other thing is that you just gamble. If your grade isn’t good enough, you just take it out of the case, don’t represent it with that grade and move on.

Sometimes, you just have to do that.

#74 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:20 PM

Exactly...that’s where the issue lies.

It probably is worth it to go to a local baseball card shop and get their opinion. In terms of where you live, I know there used to be one right off of Maiden Choice...I wish I could remember the cross street but there was one there (not sure if he’s still there) and of course, they probably aren’t open now.

Still, those guys should be able to tell you.

The other thing is that you just gamble. If your grade isn’t good enough, you just take it out of the case, don’t represent it with that grade and move on.

Sometimes, you just have to do that.

Thanks.  I'm actually not in Halethorpe any more.  Been back in Ellicott City for about 6 years now.

But there is a card shop near me that I can go into and see what they think. 

@bopper33

#75 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:31 PM

Thanks. I'm actually not in Halethorpe any more. Been back in Ellicott City for about 6 years now.

But there is a card shop near me that I can go into and see what they think.

Oh ok....I know The Dugout used to be out there but not sure if it’s still there???

That was in Chatham Mall.

#76 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:39 PM

Oh ok....I know The Dugout used to be out there but not sure if it’s still there???

That was in Chatham Mall.

They've moved like 5 times since Chatham Mall closed.  But they're still around. 

@bopper33

#77 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:52 AM

Another bit of advice...just remember that collectors are usually thieves, especially those who own stores.

Be wary if they are offering you a price on it. It could mean that they think it will grade higher and that they will get a lot more for it.

Could try and talk you out of having it graded.

#78 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:01 PM

The question now is, what to do with 500 cards that aren’t worth a dime? Hold onto them for 30 years like the 10,000 I have in my basement?
@BSLMikeRandall

#79 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:45 PM

They aren't tough to store.  Put 'em in a box in a closet. 

Ya never know.  And they're fun to go through. 

@bopper33

#80 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:21 PM

Also they're fun just to hold on to -- you can give them to your kid.  Or donate them somewhere. I'm sure a kid from a poor background that loves baseball would love a boatload of cards.

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=