#201 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:54 PM

Yea it’s a struggle man. When you pull a parallel in Bowman though good chance you’re in on a winner.

I really want the Ripken SSP out of series 2. I shared it with SG on Facebook. It’s a gorgeous card.

Recent few of those SSP went for about $70 on eBay. Figure in another month or so it will be down below $50 and I’ll pounce. Get it graded for my PC
  • SportsGuy and Mike in STL like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#202 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:15 PM

Get the limited edition Flatten The Curve baseball card!

https://twitter.com/...7727483905?s=19

#203 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:48 PM

Recent few of those SSP went for about $70 on eBay. Figure in another month or so it will be down below $50 and I’ll pounce. Get it graded for my PC

Had too much beer tonight and bought one for $65. Oh well. Excited to display it. I have an Adam Jones auto RC and a Diaz auto first bowman that I will display it next to

@bopper33

#204 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:38 AM

Was in Great Moments in Westminster picking up something for my buddy and they had a few boxes of '87 Topps.  Bought one of them for 20 bucks, still looking for that Barry Bonds rookie card that somehow eluded me as a kid (this was the 1st set I ever collected).  Struck out yet again.

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

#205 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:47 PM

Was in Great Moments in Westminster picking up something for my buddy and they had a few boxes of '87 Topps.  Bought one of them for 20 bucks, still looking for that Barry Bonds rookie card that somehow eluded me as a kid (this was the 1st set I ever collected).  Struck out yet again.

I think that's my favorite Topps design, that and 1985 were really nice 

#206 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:51 PM

Yordan Alvarez base RC from 2020 Series 1 just went for $51 on eBay, graded PSA 10.

I have 5 of those suckers. I’d want to send them in but if they don’t come back a 10, I probably break even from the price of getting it graded...maybe.

Grading seems too expensive to me.
@BSLMikeRandall

#207 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:54 PM

Yordan Alvarez base RC from 2020 Series 1 just went for $51 on eBay, graded PSA 10.

I have 5 of those suckers. I’d want to send them in but if they don’t come back a 10, I probably break even from the price of getting it graded...maybe.

Grading seems too expensive to me.

That’s why you gotta use your own personal judgment and see if YOU think it has a shot for a 10.

I’d really only grade a card that would be worth over $100 if it came back a 10.

@bopper33

#208 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:54 AM

That’s why you gotta use your own personal judgment and see if YOU think it has a shot for a 10.

I’d really only grade a card that would be worth over $100 if it came back a 10.

I still feel like the grading process is too expensive. Or the bulk pricing discount isn't any real value. If I want to send in 50 cards it costs $750. And since base rookie cards are fetching decent money, I'd do it if I thought I could make a nice profit back. Now if of those 50 cards they sell for on average $20 (cause all won't be 10s) That's $1000, or $250 profit. It's too slim a margin. Factor in the time to sell those cards, the trips to the post office, the time to list them. It's profit, but there is an opportunity cost associated as I use spare time for that as opposed to something else. 

I also feel like people are only buying graded cards. I've had the base and the Turkey Red Alvarez RCs on my ebay page for like 2 months now. Asking $19.99 for the two cards...no bites. But people will spend 5 times as much if it's been graded. 

I'm gonna spend a ton before I find a card worth grading. But yeah. One card to get graded is fine. Especially if you want it for your own collection. I'm gonna do that with Means auto I got.

@BSLMikeRandall

#209 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:23 PM

Here's a few more of my favorite cards from the last couple weeks in Topps Series 2

Starting with an Eddie Mathews short print. The SPs seem to be easier to come by in series 2. I got none in retail in Series 1, and got two in hobby boxes. In series 2, I got a crappy Corey Seager in a hobby jumbo. The same one (!!) in a retail pack. A Trevor Story (looks meh as well) in retail, and this Mathews in retail. 

o9nsMrH.jpg

@BSLMikeRandall

#210 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:25 PM

Retail comes with Turkey Red. Series 1 seemed to be alot of current players. Series 2 has a lot of legends. The Cobb in this group is in chrome.

cTeodJa.jpg

@BSLMikeRandall

#211 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:27 PM

Probably heard of this guy before. I like the 85' style cards. But I really think they need to put an 85' picture on there if the player played in that era. 

7GJZCOu.jpg

@BSLMikeRandall

#212 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:28 PM

Common insert in Topps 2020 is decades best. Love this one though. Classic Eddie. The hair, the chops, the hat under the helmet. 

d221XZ9.jpg

@BSLMikeRandall

#213 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:56 PM

Awesome cards.
  • Mike in STL likes this

@bopper33

#214 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 August 2020 - 01:42 AM

I love the short prints, I've told myself I'll get the 2019 Frank Robinson one at some point

#215 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:11 AM

Hey guys, any idea what a couple signed cards (in a batch of 99 or 150) for an MLB All-Star (Whit Merrifield) might go for on ebay or wherever?

#216 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:21 AM

Hey guys, any idea what a couple signed cards (in a batch of 99 or 150) for an MLB All-Star (Whit Merrifield) might go for on ebay or wherever?

Your base cards, some relics numbered in that range are going for $10 or less on there. I don’t see any in a quick search, but if it’s his first bowman, or a rookie card, it should be worth more.
  • Chris B likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#217 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:10 PM

So Topps Chrome 2020 dropped yesterday. Of course the prices are insane. But the Robert auto superfractor has already been pulled. On day 1. Crazy.

@bopper33

#218 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:07 PM

So Topps Chrome 2020 dropped yesterday. Of course the prices are insane. But the Robert auto superfractor has already been pulled. On day 1. Crazy.

I like that the hobby jumbo has 5 autos in it. 2 more than the Bowman jumbo, and it’s an actual major leaguer. Although I realize the auto on a 1st bowman who one day becomes Mike Trout is worth an insane amount.
@BSLMikeRandall

#219 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:41 PM

I like that the hobby jumbo has 5 autos in it. 2 more than the Bowman jumbo, and it’s an actual major leaguer. Although I realize the auto on a 1st bowman who one day becomes Mike Trout is worth an insane amount.

Yea I mean who wants a Kevin Pillar auto?

@bopper33

#220 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:55 PM

Yea I mean who wants a Kevin Pillar auto?

It’s a gamble for sure. Could get Pillar. Could get Robert.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=