#41 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:21 PM

His O changed big-time... that one year.... almost Brady-like...

That’s not true. Brady was out of no where and never had a season approaching that one.

Cal did.

#42 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:25 PM

That’s not true. Brady was out of no where and never had a season approaching that one.

Cal did.

Call had 1 other great season... total of 2....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#43 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:28 PM

Call had 1 other great season... total of 2....

Wrong...1983 and 1984 were great seasons as well.

Now, the 2 seasons before 1991 were subpar offensively, thus 1991 was more out of nowhere but he had performed at a similar level before in his career.

#44 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:32 PM

OK, I'll give you 3... 3 great seasons... that's it...  the rest of the time he was pretty good... ranked higher than that because he was a SS....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:34 PM

OK, I'll give you 3... 3 great seasons... that's it... the rest of the time he was pretty good... ranked higher than that because he was a SS....

Yes I’m aware of this.

Thank you for stating the obvious. :)

And btw, he had many other great seasons..but only 3 great offensive seasons.

#46 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,979 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:34 PM

'91 was not that big of an outlier year. I would imagine the caliber of jump he had for his career year is pretty much in line with the jump of most players career years.

If you just go down the line of his '91 stats compared to his career averages at that point in his career its not a big jump.
  • SportsGuy likes this

#47 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:50 PM

He played 2632 consecutive games and you don’t think he juiced?

Yeah, anyone who played for the Orioles ( whom are all over the Mitchell report) when he did has to looked at with a suspicious eye. One of the positive aspects of some steroids are recovery. Not only did Cal play every day, for years he worked out after games. That's an extremely long and physically taxing day for anyone. Even an elite athlete.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#48 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:57 PM

No doubt Cal is a great, given everything... not saying otherwise....

But he lost a lot of saintly glow for me when he undermined Davey Johnson... resulting in there being 2 camps in the clubhouse... that was not playing the game the Oriole Way... 

#49 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:59 PM

No doubt Cal is a great, given everything... not saying otherwise....

But he lost a lot of saintly glow for me when he undermined Davey Johnson... that was not playing the game the Oriole Way...

Yeah, he didn't treat Phil Regan very well either. That's what happens when you let the star become bigger than the team.

#50 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:01 PM

Yeah, he didn't treat Phil Regan very well either. That's what happens when you let the star become bigger than the team.

A slightly younger version of his Dad would have asked him, "Who the F do you think you are?!?"

#51 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:04 PM

A slightly younger version of his Dad would have asked him, "Who the F do you think you are?!?"

Maybe he was like that because he thought the Orioles treated his dad unfairly?

#52 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:08 PM

Maybe he was like that because he thought the Orioles treated his dad unfairly?

I dunno... but his Dad being bitter sure didn't help anything...

Say what you want about Pete Rose... but twice in his career he was an All Star at a position... and the manager told him to move to a different position anyway... because it would help the team... and both times Rose said, "Sure thing, Skip...".   So, while he was a sleazeball who had a gambling problem, when it came to actually playing the game, Pete Rose did it the Oriole Way... Cal didn't...

• russsnyder likes this

#53 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:16 PM

Cal Sr eventually got over it... or at least was able to pretend he was... doesn't matter which, either one was perfectly good enough...

Too bad about the delay... but we're all just human... and he did spend his whole life doing good baseball things for the Orioles... so if anybody deserves to be cut any slack about this, it was him...

• russsnyder likes this

#54 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:17 PM

Say what you want about Pete Rose... but twice in his career he was an All Star at a position... and the manager told him to move to a different position anyway... because it would help the team... and both times Rose said, "Sure thing, Skip...". So, while he was a sleazeball who had a gambling problem, when it came to actually playing the game, Pete Rose did it the Oriole Way... Cal didn't...

You're right.

Rose moved several times.

I always thought it was more than curious that Cal had to approve of the shortstop that would replace him.

I remember Bordick telling the story of how he reached out to Cal after he was acquired to get his blessing.

If I was Bordick, I would have said, " Make sure you bring a bigger glove to ST because you'll be playing third."
  • RShack likes this

#55 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:22 PM

Cal Sr eventually got over it... or at least was able to pretend he was... doesn't matter which, either one was perfectly good enough...

Too bad about the delay... but we're all just human... and he did spend his whole life doing good baseball things for the Orioles... so if anybody deserves to be cut any slack about this, it was him...

Hey I lived.

It was spur of the moment and I don't think anyone planned for the delay to last that long.

I give him slack for that.

He's a great Oriole. ( Obviously)

#56 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:28 PM

Cal Sr. deserves to be his very own legend...

Plus, his picture should show up whenever you google "old bandy-legged catcher"...  :smile:

• russsnyder likes this

#57 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:33 PM

Cal Sr was to Earl what Omar Bradley was to General Patton... a great living in the shadow of a great...

#58 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:43 PM

In '99 Cal flat-out out-Roenike'd Roenicke.... pretty stout, given everything....

#59 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:19 PM

Most of the takes in this thread are blasphemous and should be deleted.
  • SportsGuy and RShack like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#60 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:25 PM

Most of the takes in this thread are blasphemous and should be deleted.

Most is a really good word to use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=