104 replies to this topic

#81 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:48 AM

Juan Bell was supposed to be a stud. Didn’t work out.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#82 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:00 AM

Huh?  What year did he lead either league in BA? 

He led both leagues in BA in 1990.  The year before, he had landed in Dodger Stadium and hit like crap.  So he adjusted.  

He lost the batting title despite finishing with the highest BA of anybody in either league... because Willy McGee was leading the NL in BA when he got traded to the AL... where he hit worse, so his BA for the whole season went down to below Eddie's... but McGee's NL BA stayed the same, so he won the NL batting title despite finishing the season with a lower BA than Eddie.

To put it another way, it was proof that one of God's little jokes was to fate Eddie to never win any individual title about anything... he finished very high in several things multiple times, but he never won squat...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#83 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:04 AM

He led both leagues in BA in 1990.  The year before, he had landed in Dodger Stadium and hit like crap.  So he adjusted.  

He lost the batting title despite finishing with the highest BA of anybody in either league... because Willy McGee was leading the NL in BA when he got traded to the AL... where he hit worse, so his BA for the whole season went down to below Eddie's... but McGee's NL BA stayed the same, so he won the NL batting title despite finishing the season with a lower BA than Eddie.

To put it another way, it was proof that one of God's little jokes was to fate Eddie to never win any individual title about anything... he finished very high in several things multiple times, but he never won squat...

No, Eddie lost the batting title because McGee had a better NL BA and since the batting title is decided in each league, that’s why he lost it.

#84 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:08 AM

No, Eddie lost the batting title because McGee had a better NL BA and since the batting title is decided in each league, that’s why he lost it.

That's what I just said...

Didn't you just complain about people who don't read?   ;-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#85 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:10 AM

That's what I just said...

Didn't you just complain about people who don't read?   ;-)

Well it’s sort of what you said.

You are acting as if the system was flawed or that Eddie was screwed. That’s not the case.

#86 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:11 AM

Well it’s sort of what you said.

You are acting as if the system was flawed or that Eddie was screwed. That’s not the case.

I never said the system was flawed.... I said that weirdness was proof that God was out to stop him from ever winning anything...

#87 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:40 AM

Oh, everybody's a Cal Jr fan... including a bazillion people who are not Oriole fans... which is exactly as it should be...

Being a fan doesn't mean you think he's a saint... 

Brooks on the other hand is a saint...  :smile:

ps:  Frank was a different kind of saint... he was both a savior and a real motherf**ker of a saint    :wink:

Brooks was the perfect fit for Baltimore.  He is a terrific person, was a great player and deserved all the good that has come his way.

• RShack likes this
@mikeghg

#88 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:46 AM

Juan Bell was supposed to be a stud. Didn’t work out.

To this day, I hate the idea of trading with the Dodgers.  They have the rep of never giving up anything they value.

Eddie Murray for Juan Bell, Brian Holton and Ken Howell was a disaster, maybe the second worse trade the Orioles ever made.

@mikeghg

#89 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:50 AM

To this day, I hate the idea of trading with the Dodgers.  They have the rep of never giving up anything they value.

Eddie Murray for Juan Bell, Brian Holton and Ken Howell was a disaster, maybe the second worse trade the Orioles ever made.

Well, we did get Jim Gentile for about nothing from them... and he was glorious at the plate for a while... my Dad said he was the best 1B he ever saw when it came to fielding bad throws...

#90 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:52 PM

That turned out to be a disaster of a deal. 

The Orioles did flip Howell with Gordon Dillard to acquire Phil Bradley from the Phillies.

• sandiegosean likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#91 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:21 PM

The Orioles did flip Howell with Gordon Dillard to acquire Phil Bradley from the Phillies.

Who we then flipped for two months of horrendous Ron Kittle.

#92 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:58 PM

I had forgotten Howell helped bring Bradley.  Bell who was George Bell's brother, could not play a lick.

@mikeghg

#93 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 02:30 PM

Who we then flipped for two months of horrendous Ron Kittle.

I forgot about that.

#94 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 02:31 PM

I had forgotten Howell helped bring Bradley.  Bell who was George Bell's brothert, could not play a lick.

Yeah, we was dreadful.

Couldn't even stick as a utility guy in the bigs.

#95 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:22 AM

New podcast about the Cal/Kelly/Costner/Power Failure rumors.  Next up:  a podcast about Mikey's horrible Pepsi/Pop Rocks tragedy.

Cal Ripken, Kevin Costner rumor is subject of new podcast - The Washington Post

• Old Man likes this

#96 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 05:40 PM

Baltimore Magazine: Catching Up with Cal Ripken Jr. as Foundation Honoring His Father Finishes 100th Youth Field

https://www.baltimor...6WnqWrJvBpy06F0

• Old Man likes this

#97 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 10:27 AM

Nice article. always had the deepest respect for Rip Sr.

#98 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 01:15 PM

Balt SunMajor League Baseball has encouraged Cal Ripken Jr. to become part of ownership group if Orioles are sold, sources say

#99 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,600 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 01:53 PM

Aren't the Ironbirds run pretty meh? Don't know how much influence Cal has there but I seem to remember hearing some not so amazing things.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#100 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,784 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 01:56 PM

I can't think of a single high profile free agent SP that the Ironbirds have signed.

• You Play to Win the Game, Pedro Cerrano and makoman like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=