10405 replies to this topic

#81 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:45 AM

Pearl Jam cancelled the first leg of their tour, including the Baltimore show.

#82 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:48 AM

My mom was sent this from her hospital. Just some tips on what to look out for:

Passing this along....
This info is from my friend that works for CDC that passed this along to his family and friends. I'm passing it along as well..
The new NCP coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days, how can one know if he/she is infected. By the time they have fever and/or cough and goes to the hospital, the lungs is usually 50 % Fibrosis and it's too late!
Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning:
Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stuffiness or tightness, etc.,it proves there is no fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicating no infection.
In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.
SERIOUS EXCELLENT ADVICE by Japanese Doctors treating COVID-19 cases:
Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat is moist, never DRY. Take a few sips of water every 15 mins at least. WHY?
Even if the virus gets into your mouth...drinking water or other liquids will WASH them down through your esophagus into the stomach. Once there in tummy...your stomach ACID will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly....the virus can enter your windpipes and into the LUNGS. That's very dangerous.
Pls send and share with family, friends and everyone.”

That all sounds a bit...viral Facebook post-y

@DJ_McCann

#83 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:33 AM

That all sounds a bit...viral Facebook post-y

It’s not...but I think the water washing it down thing is bs.

Do think the idea of staying hydrated is the point to drive home when it comes to consuming water.

#84 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 11:04 AM

The Ivy League cancelled its tournament.

#85 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 March 2020 - 01:18 PM

I get to telework on Thursday as part of a Telework exercise here at NOAA in Silver Spring.  I'm just a "shady" contractor and they usually don't want us teleworking but we get in on this too.   This is just a one off to see how our systems handle things.  

#86 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 March 2020 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, we're doing the same here Friday. As the organizational talent development manager (AKA run the training department), my week just got crazy AF having to train people who don't normally WFH on that process. But it's a good thing, and hopefully will lead to more WFH in the future, regardless of this situation.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#87 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 01:50 PM

The University of Maryland system (most public colleges in state) will ask all students to stay off campus for two weeks following the end of spring break.

#88 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 01:55 PM

One of my professors at Towson hinted at the fact that we "may or may not" come back after spring break. Classes would shift to online. 

Would be totally fine with this. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#89 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:04 PM

One of my professors at Towson hinted at the fact that we "may or may not" come back after spring break. Classes would shift to online. 

Would be totally fine with this. 

Beginning Wednesday (3/11) through Friday (3/13)
@TowsonU is cancelling all university classes on all campuses to prepare for potential remote teaching, learning and working after spring break. See full statement for additional details.

#90 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:05 PM

Beginning Wednesday (3/11) through Friday (3/13)
@TowsonU is cancelling all university classes on all campuses to prepare for potential remote teaching, learning and working after spring break. See full statement for additional details.

Yep. Just saw that.

@BSLMikeRandall

#91 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:12 PM

Governor of Ohio.

BREAKING: Governor DeWine has announced he is advising indoor sporting events to eliminate spectators.

#92 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:16 PM

This is becoming a bit nuts.

647 people in the US have it confirmed so far.  That's it.

I get taking precautions and staying home if you don't feel well but cancelling major events and keeping campuses closed for weeks on end seems to be a bit much.  Were previous pandemics this bad?  Like swine flu, bird flu, Ebola, sars, etc etc?  How many people got those viruses?  The responses weren't like this.

• You Play to Win the Game, The Epic and Mike in STL like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#93 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:17 PM

Also, there are zero confirmed cases in Ohio -- I feel like this is just adding to the hysteria.  

• SportsGuy and You Play to Win the Game like this

@bopper33

#94 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:18 PM

Ohio also has the First Four games (Dayton) and is a host to the first and second round games (Cleveland).

Should be interesting to see if the governor's words become mandated or not.

#95 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:19 PM

This is becoming a bit nuts.

647 people in the US have it confirmed so far.  That's it.

I get taking precautions and staying home if you don't feel well but cancelling major events and keeping campuses closed for weeks on end seems to be a bit much.  Were previous pandemics this bad?  Like swine flu, bird flu, Ebola, sars, etc etc?  How many people got those viruses?  The responses weren't like this.

Yeah. It's nuts. But no public figure want's to be like "it's fine" if it ends up not being fine either. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#96 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:20 PM

Yea, they're all trying to cover their asses.  And since this thing has become completely politicized in an election year, the rhetoric and overreacting is only getting worse.

Check out Roy Firestone's Facebook page.  The guy has fallen off the deep end. 

@bopper33

#97 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:23 PM

Also, there are zero confirmed cases in Ohio -- I feel like this is just adding to the hysteria.  

Yep..it’s stupid

#98 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:26 PM

Yeah, it's beyond ridiculous. There would need to be 3.3 million confirmed cases for it to be 1% of the population. There's been 600. What are we doing?

#99 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:27 PM

The worry is that the virus is supposedly exponential.  That means that if you take no precautions, the number of cases will double every x days.  

If you put a single grain of rice in the corner of a chessboard, and then double it to two grains on the second square, four grains on the third, eight grains on the fourth, etc,  by the time you get to the 64th square, you have more rice than exists in the world.  We might just be on an early square, so the number still is low.

I mean, in Wuhan, they were welding people inside their apartment buildings to prevent the spread.  Italy has closed their entire country.  I doubt either did that because they were watching too much MSNBC.

#100 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:28 PM

Pedro, I largely agree with you... but to your exact question of how this differs... 

https://www.cnn.com/...rgen/index.html

BERGEN: We've had other coronaviruses like SARS and MERS, which, although highly problematic, didn't really kill very many people, relatively speaking. What's the difference between this coronavirus and those coronaviruses?

OSTERHOLM: This is a very, very different coronavirus. Think of this as an influenza pandemic caused by a coronavirus and you're thinking about this in the right way.

SARS had close to 10% case fatality rate. MERS has a case fatality rate of 25% to 35%. The COVID-19 virus has a case fatality rate that is somewhere between seasonal flu in a bad year, which is 0.1%, and the 1918 pandemic, which, of course, preferentially killed young adults with a case fatality rate of 2.5% to 3%. So this is clearly in that range of what would be considered a severe influenza pandemic if this were the influenza virus.
When we think about infectious disease transmission, we refer to the concept of RO (a term that indicates how contagious an infectious disease is) or how many people on average an individual transmits the virus to. And what we see with coronavirus is it's probably about an RO of 2 to 2.5. It's surely dynamic. If we consider regular influenza, it's about 1.4. If you think about pandemic influenza, it tends to be about 1.8 people. So, this is quite different.
What's different here is the fact that in the cases of SARS and MERS -- and I was very involved with both outbreak investigations -- patients were most infectious on day 5 or later, and it allowed us the opportunity to identify these patients early in their illness and get them into appropriate isolation. Here, virus transmission is occurring early in illness, likely even before symptoms show up. It is very similar to influenza.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=