The Wolfpack advance with a 78-57 win.

NCST lost by 1 to UVA at home.

#82 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

VaTech advances with a 68-63 win over Clemson.

The Hokies lost by 15 to Duke at home, and by 5 at Duke.

#83 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:54 PM

No tickets were punched in today's games as many of the power conferences started their tournaments today. Tomorrow, there is only one ticket (Southland).

- Big East quarterfinals were pretty entertaining today. UConn gave the Orange a scare, Georgetown and UC went to double OT in what was a Sims vs. Gates showdown for the last 10 minutes or so, Louisville upset Marquette, and Notre Dame and USF had a sloppy OT finish but the Irish held on. Syracuse takes on Cincinnati and Louisville faces Notre Dame. (I actually had USF as the winner in here because they were controlling for most of the second half but then collapsed.)
- Check out the ACCT thread for updates on that. Only upset today was 10. Virginia Tech over 7. Clemson.
- No upsets in the SEC today. 11. Georgia is up on 6. Mississippi St. currently. The Bulldogs (MS St. that is) would fall back onto the bubble with a loss.
- Big Ten had a big upset in their first round as Minnesota beat Northwestern. The rest of the games went chalk. With the loss, I'd say that the Wildcats' NCAA tournament hopes are fading fast.
- In the biggest Big XII game, Texas kept their NCAA hopes alive by beating Iowa St. Iowa St. had 12 turnovers and led by as much as 11 throughout the game.
- The Marshall-Tulsa CUSA quarterfinal game was a thriller, going to triple OT. The Thundering Herd ended up winning 105-100. DeAndre Kane scored 40. In the semis tomorrow, Southern Miss takes on Marshall while 1. Memphis faces the winner of UCF and UAB.
- The WAC had an upset when Hawaii defeated Idaho 72-70. Hawaii faces New Mexico St. in the semis, and opposite them is Nevada and the winner of Utah St. and Louisiana Tech.
- In the Big West, 2. Cal State Fullerton was upset by 7. UC Irvine. The Anteaters will take on the Gauchos of UCSB while Long Beach St. will face the winner of Cal Poly and UC Riverside in tomorrow's semifinals games.
- In tomorrow's MWC semis, 1. SDSU takes on 4. CSU and 2. New Mexico faces UNLV or Wyoming. The Aztecs had a buzzer beater to beat Boise St. earlier this afternoon.
- The SWAC has its semifinals tomorrow. Mississippi Valley St. takes on Arkansas Pine-Bluff and Alcorn St. faces Texas Southern.
- The Southland championship is tomorrow. 4. McNeese St. takes on 3. Lamar.
- The Atlantic 10 quarterfinals begin tomorrow in Atlantic City. 1. Temple vs. 8. UMass, 2. Saint Louis vs. 7. LaSalle, 3. Xavier vs. 6. Dayton, 4. St. Bonaventure vs. 5. St. Joseph's. The games are on CBS Sports Network or Comcast Sportsnet all day. Lots of bubble matchups here. Xavier needs a win to keep their NCAA hopes alive, as do the Hawks of St. Joe's.
- MEAC semis tomorrow: 8. Hampton (upset 1. Savannah St. today) vs. 4. Bethune-Cookman and 11. Florida A&M (upset 3. Delaware St.) vs. Norfolk St.
- MAC semis tomorrow: Akron vs. Kent State and Buffalo vs. Ohio/Toledo (Ohio currently up 11). Seriously, if you haven't seen how the MAC tournament is designed, check it out. Very weird and heavily favors the top 2 seeds, who automatically advance to the semifinal games.
- Pac 12 semis tomorrow: 9. Oregon St. (upset 1. Washington today) vs. 4. Arizona and 2. Cal vs. Oregon/Colorado. Seriously this conference is a mess and if it were up to me, I'd give it one (automatic) bid. Just really bad basketball if you haven't watched this year. Washington is back on the bubble and probably out after losing to the Beavers.

Well that should do it. Not bothering to wait til the end of the Pac 12 games. See you tomorrow for another great day of Championship Week.

#84 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

Anyone who thinks Pac-12 should get more than one bid is terrible...90% of teams in the other major conferences would be a top 3 seed in the Pac-12...
@brobey1

#85 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

Miami and Georgia Tech setback basketball last night, as the Hurricanes won 54-36. The Hurricanes advance to play FSU.

#86 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

Carolina to face the winner of NCST and UVA.

The Wolfpack is up 13-9 with just under 13 mts left.

#87 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Thornton and Hairston doing a good job picking up scoring and rebounding with Kelly out. Still he is a big loss.

#88 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

- For a look at the ACC tournament, http://baltimorespor...c.php?f=8&t=638. Semis are at 1 and 3 on ESPN. With NC State winning, I have them IN.
- For a look at my A10 quarterfinal wrapup, http://baltimorespor...83&p=3990#p3990 Semis are on CBS Sports Network at 1 and 3:30. With Xavier winning, I have them IN. The A10 may be able to snag 4 teams if UMass/St Bona wins the championship.
- In the Big East semis, Cincinnati took down Syracuse and Louisville beat Notre Dame. At one point the Bearcats led by 17 as they were shooting on all cylinders, 10 for 22 from behind the arc. The Cardinals jumped out to a lead with about 7 minutes left in the first half and never looked back. They led the entire second half. The final is on ESPN at 9 PM.
- In the Big XII semis, Baylor "upset" Kansas 81-72. Both are nationally ranked (Baylor 11, Kansas 3 in the Coaches' Poll), but Kansas may lose its #1 seed in the NCAA tournament in Michigan St. can win the Big Ten final. Championship is tomorrow at 6 on ESPN.
- Kentucky had a little scare against LSU in the SEC quarterfinals but were able to fend off the Tigers. Alabama and Florida was ended a close game, with the Gators edging out. At this point, I say Alabama is OUT. Another upset was Ole Miss beating Tennessee 77-72 in overtime. This should put the Volunteers OUT as well. In the late night game, Vandy trounced Georgia 63-41. Kentucky-Florida on ABC at 1 and Ole Miss-Vandy in the other semifinal at 3:30 on ABC.
- In the CUSA semis, Marshall continues its exciting run, upsetting Southern Miss. They will face 1-seeded Memphis tomorrow at 11:30 AM on CBS.
- Not much action in the Big Ten quarters, as all the favorites won. Minnesota gave Michigan a scare as the Golden Gophers took the Wolverines to overtime. Wisconsin takes on Michigan St. at 1:40 on CBS followed by Ohio St.-Michigan at 4:05.
- New Mexico St. beat Hawaii in the WAC semis to make the finals. They will play the winner of Nevada and Louisiana Tech. Tech currently up 3 at halftime.
- San Diego St. beat Colorado St. by 10 in the MWC semis. Aztecs will play the winner of UNLV/New Mexico.
- Bethune-Cookman and Norfolk St. face off in the MEAC finals on ESPN2 tomorrow at 1.
- In the America East championship, Vermont faces Stony Brook at 11 AM on ESPN2.
- McNeese St. and Lamar face each other in the Southland final on ESPN2 at 3 PM.
- Miss. Valley St. takes on Texas Southern in the SWAC final on ESPNU at 8 PM.
- In the MAC semis, 1. Akron defeated Kent St. 78-74 while 3. Ohio beat 2. Buffalo 77-74. The Bobcats face the Zips tomorrow at 8 PM on ESPN2.
- Arizona beat Oregon St. 72-61 to reach the Pac 12 finals. Colorado is up one on California at halftime. I think the Pac 12 will get two bids as the Wildcats have advanced to the finals. But, you never know with this conference.

That should be it. Can't wait for another day of basketball. I love spring break over championship week.

#89 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

No Henson for UNC today.

#90 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

UNC narrowly escapes a Wolfpack upset today. Lot of questionable calls down the stretch in favor of the Tarheels.

#91 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

Kelly being out was just too much for Duke to overcome vs FSU.

#92 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

Another day, another set of games.

- In the ACC semis, UNC edged NC St. 69-67 and Florida St. upset Duke 62-59. Even with the loss, I'd say NC St. is in the Big Dance.
- In the SEC semis, Kentucky edged Florida in a close game as well, 74-71. The Gators led for a lot of the 2nd half. Vandy beat Ole Miss in the other semifinal game in New Orleans.
- There were two routs in the Big Ten semifinals. Sparty took down Wisconsin 65-52 and Ohio St. beat Michigan 77-55.
- Check my A10 thread for a complete recap of the A10 semifinals. The Bonnies took down UMass 84-80 and Xavier beat St. Louis 71-64. Xavier is now solidly in the NCAA tournament field.

Onto the championships today...
- In what was a really sloppy and defensive-minded first half, Louisville beat Cincinnati 50-44 in the Big East final. The Bearcats offense was held stagnant for a good 25-30 minutes before they made a late comeback.
- 5 Mizzou took down 11 Baylor 90-75. With a UNC loss tomorrow (possible) and an MSU loss to OSU (they just lost to the Buckeyes last Sunday), the Tigers may be able to snag a 1 seed.
- New Mexico St. is currently leading Louisiana Tech 32-16 with 3:11 to go in the first half of the WAC final.
- New Mexico upset 21 overall San Diego St. 68-59 in the Mountain West Championship.
- Vermont defeated Stony Brook 51-43 in the America East Final despite not making a field goal in the past 10 minutes of play.
- Norfolk St. beat Bethune-Cookman 73-70 to win the MEAC tournament.
- Pat Knight must have inspired his Cardinals after his famous postgame tirade, as Lamar beat McNeese St. 70-49 to win the Southland tournament.
- Despite losing two of their best players last year, Colorado defeated Arizona 53-51 in the Pac-12 final. It will be interesting to see who (if any) the committee takes for an at-large from the Pac 12. My guess is one of California, Washington, or Arizona.
- Ohio defeated Akron 64-63 in a close one in the MAC final in Cleveland. The Zips had won the MAC two of the past three seasons.
- Miss. Valley St. won 71-69 over Texas Southern to win the SWAC.
- Long Beach St. avenged their loss from last year as they defeated the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos 77-64 tonight in the Big West tournament. Whoever draws The Beach will have a very difficult first game playing against Casper Ware and Co.

Only 4 championships tomorrow. Apparently, the committee has already selected who the at-large teams will be for the tournament.

1 PM on ABC: SEC Final, Vandy vs. Kentucky
1 PM on ESPN: ACC Final, Florida St. vs. UNC
1 PM on CBS: A10 Final, St. Bonaventure vs. Xavier
3:30 PM on CBS: B1G Final, Ohio St. vs. Michigan St.

#93 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

With the brackets out, are there any teams you are now including (or excluding) as possible contenders?

#94 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

Some immediate thoughts? Which Bracket do you think is the toughest, weakest?

Which match-ups are you looking forward to?

I agree with Greg Anthony about Memphis being a sleeper Final 4 team. Think their potential 2nd rounder with MSU would be an interesting game.

#95 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

FSU could be pushed by St. Bonaventure, and certainly vs. Cincinnati/Texas in the next round, but they should get to the S16.

I'd like to see Ohio State / Gonzaga.

#96 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

Kentucky vs. Wichita State is a game I know that a lot of people would like to see.

#97 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

I'd like UNC to win, but if I was a Tar Heels fan; I'd be a bit apprehensive of Alabama in the 2nd rd.

#98 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

1) Duke and Kentucky could play on 20th anniversary of Laettner shot...you are telling me that isn't thought about?

2) I think Kansas got the easiest draw of ANY #1 or #2 seed to get to elite 8...but their first round game is going to be tough. Detroit is for real and Ray McCallum was a top 50 recruit that chose to go to a small school.

3) Look at the potential second round matchups for the top teams:

Kentucky vs UCONN
Memphis vs MSU
Mizzou vs Florida
Cuse vs K State

Tough matchups.

4) I have Wichita St in sweet 16 but tough to have them beat Kentucky...but if Kentucky loses, WSU will be in elite 8.

5) UNC's second round matchup will either be against a team that can score but not defend or a team that can defend but not score. If I am them, I don't want Alabama who is very athletic and can really defend.

#99 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

I'd like UNC to win, but if I was a Tar Heels fan; I'd be a bit apprehensive of Alabama in the 2nd rd.

Creighton/UNC would be fun to watch..110-100 final possibly.

Not concerned with playing anyone in Greensboro to be honest.
@beginthebegin71

#100 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

I love where Xavier was given. I think Notre Dame is a beatable team and personally, I'd love to see them play Duke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=