ACC Basketball / General Thoughts

• Please log in to reply
1316 replies to this topic

#1 texasbluedevil69

texasbluedevil69
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:07 AM

Is it too early to start talking Brackets and college hoops? Anyone interested - check out my site - http://www.bracketwag.com - always willing to talk college hoops.
@BracketWAG

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

It is never to early to talk about the tourney...Especially if blue devil in your name means you are a Duke fan. :D

#3 texasbluedevil69

texasbluedevil69
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:10 PM

It absolutely means that - have been for 27+ yrs!
@BracketWAG

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:09 PM

It absolutely means that - have been for 27+ yrs!

Well then anything you want to talk about is always welcomed!(of course, I may be the only person who will say that on this site :) )

#5 texasbluedevil69

texasbluedevil69
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:13 PM

HA - understood. Soooooo, thoughts on the team this yr? Young and dangerous but don't see them getting past sweet 16 right now.
@BracketWAG

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:24 PM

HA - understood. Soooooo, thoughts on the team this yr? Young and dangerous but don't see them getting past sweet 16 right now.

I feel the same way.

Their biggest weakness is perimeter defense. When they play athletic teams with a good guard play, they will get eaten alive by penetration.

The hope is that they can improve the team defense and that the big guys underneath can be imposing and block shots.

Duke will be able to outshoot a lot of teams and they will be a good rebounding team but much like many of the teams in the recent past, they will struggle with athletic teams that can handle the ball and get into the lane.

They have been poor at closing out teams this year as well and if that continues, it will come back and haunt them.

As always, it will depend on matchups in the tourney but I think a sweet 16 run is about as good as it gets unless they get a good bracket or some upsets happen in their bracket.

But I see them playing some team like LSU was a few years ago and just have very little chance of beating them.

#7 texasbluedevil69

texasbluedevil69
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

My thoughts exactly to a tee - we will outshoot teams, but if we are cold - yikes!
@BracketWAG

#8 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

I have a few teams I'm keeping an eye on now that conference play is about to start..Teams that could be the VCU/Butler types and make a big run in the NCAA tourney. Keep an eye on the following:

Marshall
Ohio U
St Louis
Cleveland State
@beginthebegin71

#9 texasbluedevil69

texasbluedevil69
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

To a lesser extent - noise makers in the tourney - Long Beach St, Iona, Murray St/Harvard (everyone knows about them now), Mid-majors are looking like they will steal some bids right now. I like it!
@BracketWAG

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

And there was Duke getting exposed last night to a solid but not great Temple team.

#11 texasbluedevil69

texasbluedevil69
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

They had no heart in that game - unlike a Coach K led team. I'm wondering if Rivers is a problem more than a solution. His body language is bad, he's kind of a ball hog, wants to be the man, and I swear I saw him cuss at Wojo earlier this year.
@BracketWAG

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:58 AM

They had no heart in that game - unlike a Coach K led team. I'm wondering if Rivers is a problem more than a solution. His body language is bad, he's kind of a ball hog, wants to be the man, and I swear I saw him cuss at Wojo earlier this year.

Well, when you are getting greatly outrebounded by a much smaller team, that is all about effort and heart.

Rivers is fine...I get your point and understand what you are saying. I think he has a chip on his shoulder. I think he is someone who has always had the silver spoon, been around pro players, etc....

But I think as the season goes on, he will mature more and more.

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

BTW, I am glad to see Cook get more and more playing time.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

Rivals / Yahoo: http://rivals.yahoo...._preview_010512

#15 texasbluedevil69

texasbluedevil69
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

I sure hope so. Also - remember - brackets updated DAILY!!! www.bracketwag.com!
@BracketWAG

#16 texasbluedevil69

texasbluedevil69
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

Cook is good - maybe the only true pg we've got. Still a freshman though.
@BracketWAG

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Cook is good - maybe the only true pg we've got. Still a freshman though.

Yea but his assist/TO ratio is excellent.

Thus far, in a SSS, he has shown to be a guy that makes good decisions and that's pretty rare from a freshman.

#18 texasbluedevil69

texasbluedevil69
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

It is a rarity - and I hope he gets plenty of PT before the tourney!
@BracketWAG

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

What are your current thoughts on FSU? Lost to Harvard and Princeton at home, demolished UNC.

Now 3-1 in league play, after beating MD last night. I saw a lot of experience, and athleticism from the Seminoles. I'm not sure I trust them to bring a plus effort consistently.

#20 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

They seem to me like a team that could probably beat anyone in the country, but might put up a clunker from time to time. I think their mix of perimeter shooting and physical play down low is a dangerous mix for opponents.

Everyone thought of them as the 3rd best team in the ACC entering the season. After a few bad losses and really no impressive wins, people began to sleep on them. Then they embarass one of the most talented teams in the country, and we're talking about them again. I think they're a tournament team that could easily make a sweet 16, elite 8 run, or a team that could just as easily lose in the 1st round. UNC is still really their only good win, with potentially their second best win being against MD, which isn't saying a whole lot. I think we'll have a better idea whether they're contenders or pretenders after their game Saturday @ Duke.

@AdamWolff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=