#121 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

Thoughts on Sweet 16 matchups?

Thursday:
Wisconsin-Syracuse. Wisconsin never disappoints and without Fab Melo, Syracuse has looked suspect. I had the Commodores over the Orange in my bracket, so I'll stick with that theme. My pick: Wisconsin.

Louisville-Michigan St. I haven't seen much of Louisville or Michigan St. except for their conferences' tournaments. Could be a low scoring affair though. My pick: Michigan St.

Cincinnati-Ohio St. I have the Buckeyes going to the Final Four in my bracket but this Bearcats has been playing good basketball lately. I love to see them lose (see: Crosstown Shootout), but when they shoot well, they are almost unbeatable. My pick: Cincinnati.

Florida-Marquette. Behind UC-OSU, this is the game I'm most excited to watch. I love watching Crowder, Cadougan, and Co. play, but Florida has also looked very good in their wins over Virginia and Norfolk St. Was that them playing well or who they were playing against? My pick: Marquette.

Friday's games:

Xavier-Baylor. Heart says X, brain says Bears. I just can't see the Muskies pulling this off facing a long, athletic, tall team in Baylor. Our weakest position is the 4, so there will be mismatches. The perimeter D will have to be strong to negate Heslip's control of the game. I just don't think it's going to be enough, especially if Dez Wells sees limited minutes (He missed 3/4 of the Lehigh game after suffering an injury to the foot. He's currently in a boot but he says he will play Friday). My pick: Baylor.

Ohio-UNC. Did you guys hear Kendall Marshall broke his wrist? Joking aside, I still think the Tarheels win this game even if he doesn't play. The Bobcats fun run should come to an end Friday night. My pick: UNC.

Indiana-Kentucky. A rematch of the infamous game on December 10th when IU hit a buzzer beater to beat the Wildcats. It proved to be the only regular season loss for John Calipari's team. With that said, I think Kentucky has gotten better and better and should handle the Hoosiers in this game, ending a great season for Tom Crean's young squad. My pick: Kentucky.

Kansas-NC State. NC State has shown a lot of confidence in the tournament, upsetting San Diego St. and a very good Georgetown team. I'm just not sure they can handle Taylor and Robinson of the Jayhawks. My pick: Kansas.

#122 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

Elite 8 Match-ups:

Kentucky vs. Baylor
Louisville vs. Florida
Syracuse vs. Ohio State
North Carolina vs. Kansas

Which game are you most looking forward to?

#123 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

NBC College Basketball Talk: The Fantastic Four: the most important players
http://collegebasket...h-team/related/

#124 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

NBC College Basketball Talk: Potential Pros at the Final Four
http://collegebasket.../43873/related/

#125 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

Kentucky and L'Ville was fun. The Cards played very hard, and did have good depth. Clearly they were not as talented as Kentucky, but they found ways to keep it close.

Saw Pitino after the game talking about what they will have coming back. Should be in line for another big year.

#126 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

NBC College Basketball Talk: Breaking down position match-ups for Kentucky vs. Kansas
http://collegebasket...ucky-vs-kansas/

Point guard: Marquis Teague vs. Tyshawn Taylor
Teague’s developed nicely as Kentucky’s freshman point guard, cutting down on his turnovers, boosting his assists and not forcing shots. Taylor, Kansas’ four-year starter, is often criticized for his turnovers, but he commits them at a lower rate than Teague and is a better defensive player. The only thing preventing Kansas with a big edge here? Taylor’s shooting woes in the NCAA tournament.
Edge: Kansas

Shooting guard: Doron Lamb vs. Elijah Johnson
Lamb’s a lights-out shooter who doesn’t commit turnovers and is the perfect weapon to keep defenses from sagging on the Kentucky big men. Johnson’s a streakier scorer, but has been hot lately, averaging more than 15 points in his last seven games. Johnson’s a bit better in the open court, but Lamb’s ball-handling are toughness are underrated.
Edge: Even

Small forward: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist vs. Travis Releford
Kidd-Gilchrist is a lock-down defender, dynamic play-maker in the open court and a solid mid-range shooter. When he’s on, Kentucky’s usually rolling. Releford’s shorter, slower and can struggle to create his own shot. He’s a good player, but MKG is on another level.
Big edge: Kentucky

Power forward: Terrence Jones vs. Thomas Robinson
The most intriguing matchup of the bunch. Jones is a physical player, capable of handling the ball on the break, finishing in transition and knocking down a 3-pointer. Robinson’s slightly bigger, slightly stronger and much more aggressive. He’ll be relentless on both ends. The difference will be which one stays out of foul trouble and if Jones stays focused. Robinson will get his. Jones might not.
Edge: Kansas

Center: Anthony Davis vs. Jeff Withey
Davis is the No. 1 pick in the 2012 NBA draft and the national player of the year. He’s been more aggressive on offense during the NCAA tournament and continues to be a difference-maker on defense. But Withey’s hardly a chump. He actually had more blocks than Davis did during the Final Four and boasts more size, something that can bother Davis around the rim.
Edge: Kentucky

Bench
Kentucky’s Darius Miller is a senior, shoots 37 percent from beyond the arc, can play three positions and has been clutch throughout the season. Kyle Wiltjer is slow, but could be Kentucky’s best perimeter shooter. Kansas uses Connor Teahan for spot minutes, but unless he’s hitting 3s, he’s a defensive liability. Kevin Young is there for depth and fouls, not much else.
Big edge: Kentucky

Coaching
Bill Self’s got the better of John Calipari during the 2008 national title game and was just named the Naismith coach of the year. He took a roster that lost four starters and two key players to the Final Four and another Big 12 title. He’s also made crucial halftime adjustments throughout the tournament that have helped Kansas get this far. But don’t write off Calipari. His Wildcats are rolling thanks to his coaching and motivational methods. Xs and Os aren’t his strong suit, but he’s no dummy, either.
Edge: Even

X-factor
Will Kentucky have a letdown after beating Louisville? It seems unlikely given the team’s focus throughout the season. They play hard, they’re unselfish and don’t play like underclassmen. They’ve already handled Kansas once this season and have only gotten better since.But the Jayhawks have played like a team possessed the last five games, refusing to give into their shoddy shooting. The biggest factor might be preventing a Kentucky run. The last time the two played, the Wildcats used a 26-9 run over a 10-minute span to create separation. That happens again, Kansas is toast.
Edge: Kentucky

By my reckoning, Kentucky has edges in four areas, including a massive one at small forward. Unless Robinson and Taylor are superb, this game’s going to the Wildcats. Miracles do happen in the NCAA tournament. If Kansas pulls off one here, it’ll be a stunner.

#127 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

I don't think a Kansas win would be a stunner here.

While Kentucky is clearly more talented, I dxo think Kansas matches up well in some spots and Kansas is more experienced. I would also argue that Self is a better coach than Calipari.

I think Kentucky wins but they are only a 6 point favorite...Its not like its some overwhelming number or anything like that.

#128 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

Kentucky up 13 with 15 and 1/2 left in the 2nd half. The Wildcats are crushing the Jayhawks on the boards 30-15.

#129 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Kansas with an 8-0 run to pull within 7 with 3:20 left in the game.

#130 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

Kentucky holds on to win 67-59.

#131 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,994 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

I don't have any problem with his collection of one-and-done players, but I still can't stand Calipari. I hate that he got away completely unblemished when he was caught cheating at two different places, vacating two Final 4 appearances. There should be some sort of repercussion from that. He no longer needs to cheat at Kentucky, he can get players there without needing to bend the rules. In fact, if he gets caught cheating now, it'll be obvious that he's plainly addicted to breaking the rules.

That said, he did an amazing coaching job with these players. Getting them to play unselfishly offensively and phenomenally defensively. This Kentucky team is not anything like you'd expect from a typical Calipari-coached group of one-and-done type players. I still don't think he's a great in-game or X's and O's coach, but he certainly has figured out how to meld what must be some pretty big egos on these guys when they get in to Lexington.

#132 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

I don't have any problem with his collection of one-and-done players, but I still can't stand Calipari. I hate that he got away completely unblemished when he was caught cheating at two different places, vacating two Final 4 appearances. There should be some sort of repercussion from that. He no longer needs to cheat at Kentucky, he can get players there without needing to bend the rules. In fact, if he gets caught cheating now, it'll be obvious that he's plainly addicted to breaking the rules.

That said, he did an amazing coaching job with these players. Getting them to play unselfishly offensively and phenomenally defensively. This Kentucky team is not anything like you'd expect from a typical Calipari-coached group of one-and-done type players. I still don't think he's a great in-game or X's and O's coach, but he certainly has figured out how to meld what must be some pretty big egos on these guys when they get in to Lexington.

I hate the one-and-done thing, but I don't blame Cal at all as long as he plays within the rules. I think they might have had an even better squad two years ago and got eliminated in the Sweet 16. Maybe they'll win another championship(or more) but I still believe there's something to be said for experience. No disputing talent wins over everything else(coaching, experience, etc). All this being said, I gotta give Cal a lot of credit. I know his detractors will say, look at the amount of raw ability is on the court. You've seen way too often in sports(see the Yankees from 2001-2008) of "too many cooks ruining the soup," so getting them all to buy into a system for the greater good is something.

I know Cal hasn't been implicated, but it's definitely a little suspicious how left not one, but two programs on NCAA probation when he left them. Even if you are going to give him the benefit of the doubt and said he had nothing to do with it, it still happened under his watch and he is ultimately responsible for the basketball program at his school.

All this being said, I've said for some time now that I'd like to see the NBA adopt MLB-style draft rules. Either go right after high school or wait til your junior year. I don't see any reason why Lebron, Kevin Durant, John Wall, and most recently and importantly, Kyrie Irving should go to college for a year then just leave. Also, players who aren't committed to getting an education should go to the D-League (which is allowed) or Europe (which has been done as well).
@levineps

#133 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

http://kenpom.com/

Last year, UCONN was the first team in like 10 years that won the title finishing outside of either the top 10 in offensive or defensive efficiency.

Kentucky and Kansas are the only 2 teams that have that distinction as of right now...a few others are close.

I love March Madness, but it does dilute the regular season. Does anyone seriously think UConn was close to one of the best teams last year? They got hot at the right time and you need that to win, as you are ultimately playing two games per week over a three week period during March Madness.

You can say this about all sports though.

Its always about who gets hot and what the matchups are.

The thing that I don't agree with, even though they are exciting, is when these smaller conferences have their tourneys and the best team gets upset.

Those conferences should want their best team representing them.

Not exactly true, college football is a prime example of that, every game (for the most part) is a must win game. And it's very unlikely you can have two losses and play for the national title. Even MLB despite the recent addition still has a meaningful regular season. NFL I would still argue that as well, except when you get a watered down division but you still have to win it.

It's the NBA and moreso, NHL, where the regular season is essentially a play-in tournament to the "second season." In the NHL, 25% of the time the 8th seed beats the 1st seed.

Agree with the smaller conferences, but you know of course, they want their one game per year on ESPN showcased which they wouldn't get otherwise. I remember last year someone saying all Towson had to do to win the national title was win like 10 straight games despite being an absolutely dreadful team(I know it was only a hypothetical).
@levineps

#134 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

I know this is an ancient thread, but I just couldn't resist saying that Kendall Marshall deserved first team All-ACC (and first-team All -American) more than any of these three. Tyler Zeller and Kendall Marshall were invaluable to the Heels this year.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#135 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

I know this is an ancient thread, but I just couldn't resist saying that Kendall Marshall deserved first team All-ACC (and first-team All -American) more than any of these three. Tyler Zeller and Kendall Marshall were invaluable to the Heels this year.

Obviously with the benefit of hindsight it's safe to say that Kendall was by far the most important player on the team, if not the conference. Barnes was absolutely lost without Kendall running the show.

Bri, while I've got ya, what's your take on Paige & Tokoto next year?
@beginthebegin71

#136 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Paige is a good player, but he can't replace Marshall. He's more of a King Rice than a Kenny Smith, Ray Felton, Ty Lawson, or Kendall Marshall. He'll split time with Strickland and McDonald in the guard rotation.

Tokoto is a good shooter, but he's not going to play all that much next year with Bullock and Harrison around.

James is a very big guy so he could play a big role with so little frontcourt depth.

Johnson should be the best of the bunch, IMO. He should develop into a late first rounder in a few years.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#137 KRL224

KRL224
  • Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

The VT Athletics Department will be holding a press conference today at 4 PM (available streaming on HokieSports.com).

Most people now seem to think that this will be to announce the firing of Seth Greenberg, but there have been a ton of different rumors swirling. I have heard mentioned AD Jim Weaver stepping down, and also Bud Foster to Arkansas ( Ark also has a presser scheduled today).

Will be interesting to see the outcome this afternoon.
@KRL224

#138 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

Been confirmed by multiple sources that it will be to announce the firing of Greenberg. Pretty interesting coming at this time of year.

#139 KRL224

KRL224
  • Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

I also find it odd that they have had a huge banner ad at the top of their website telling everyone to tune into the press conference. Makes it seems like good news is coming.
@KRL224

#140 KRL224

KRL224
  • Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

Man I wish I was at tech 4 this news don't want to get my hopes up but if it's wat I this it is shuda happen a long time ago

https://twitter.com/...513936001941504

Can't really say that I miss having Jeff Allen around...
@KRL224

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=