120 replies to this topic

#41 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:35 PM

Bonds admitted use, albeit he said the didn't know they were steroids.

Ortiz failed a test before failing was punishable, right?  When they were doing the trial period to decide if they should start testing with public punishment?

Personally I think they're all full of crap with their denials.

Ortiz pissed me off with comments about how anyone caught should be banned for life and then was suddenly very silent on the issue for a long time when his name was leaked.

At the end of the day, I just don't want to see Ortiz get in because the writers love him while they play "hardball" with Bonds and Clemens.

It is funny that we're all debating this topic as good and pure MLB is being rocked by another scandal. 

#42 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:40 PM

As an aside, I'm not typically a conspiracy theorist, but the Palmeiro positive test always bothered me.

He just hasn't acted the way most other users did when they got caught. He's still trying to play baseball at age 50, just to prove that he still can. He seemed genuinely shocked and dismayed when he was found to have tested positive.

I don't know. Maybe he's just a great actor. But there's a part of me that wonders if Major League Baseball needed to hammer home the fact that their testing worked to gain back the public's trust. What better person to catch then the guy who wagged his finger at them in court?

I'll take off my tinfoil hat now.

There may be something to the idea that MLB made an example of Raffy. If I had to vote he used/he didn't. I'd say he did. At age 33, he entered a 6 year stretch, that saw the most consistent, and sometimes the best, power numbers of his career. That's not how the arc of a player's career ever went, prior to that period in baseball history.    

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#43 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:45 PM

Personally I think they're all full of crap with their denials.

Ortiz pissed me off with comments about how anyone caught should be banned for life and then was suddenly very silent on the issue for a long time when his name was leaked.

At the end of the day, I just don't want to see Ortiz get in because the writers love him while they play "hardball" with Bonds and Clemens.

It is funny that we're all debating this topic as good and pure MLB is being rocked by another scandal. 

I think you nailed it. Ortiz was a very popular player with the media. He was fun, outgoing, usually very accessible. He seemed to treat the press well. Bonds and Clemens were the opposite. And that's what's so enjoyable about their not being voted in (to date). In the end, the writers are able to play a little "get even".    

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#44 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:53 PM

Seems like Schilling might get in. Which is odd, because the only thing that has changed since he’s been eligible is that he’s become an ever bigger A-hole.
@BSLMikeRandall

#45 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:11 PM

Seems like Schilling might get in. Which is odd, because the only thing that has changed since he’s been eligible is that he’s become an ever bigger A-hole.

Sure, but some deserving players take a while to get in without anything changing about their resume. See Mussina who had a somewhat similar overall resume.

#46 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:12 PM

No shot he gets in today. 

Next year perhaps as there's no first time eligibles that are worthy. 

@beginthebegin71

#47 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:27 PM

No shot he gets in today. 

Next year perhaps as there's no first time eligibles that are worthy. 

He was at 78% with 51% of the ballots known. Close

@BSLMikeRandall

#48 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:38 PM

He was at 78% with 51% of the ballots known. Close

He'll end up around 67% is my guess...Most of the guys go down between the public and private ballots every year. 

@beginthebegin71

#49 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:18 PM

Walker is going to be painfully close. He tweeted today that he thinks he's going to fall just short..

@beginthebegin71

#50 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:21 PM

Might puke if Jeter gets to go in all alone. Have all the fanfare to himself. All the coverage just about him.
@BSLMikeRandall

#51 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:30 PM

Might puke if Jeter gets to go in all alone. Have all the fanfare to himself. All the coverage just about him.

Ha. of course. 

I love the guy, unapologetically a fan. 

@beginthebegin71

#52 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:33 PM

Still have the Modern Era Committee guys, at least.

@DJ_McCann

#53 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:39 PM

Ha. of course.

I love the guy, unapologetically a fan.

I just hate how much he was slobbered over though never having been an MVP type player. He’d make that jump throw and they act like he’s Ozzie Smith. A SS literally makes that play every night. Very overrated defensively.

Plus Buck gifted him that moment in his last Yankee Stadium at bat. Giving away a win while the Os were in a playoff race.
@BSLMikeRandall

#54 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:44 PM

I just hate how much he was slobbered over though never having been an MVP type player. He’d make that jump throw and they act like he’s Ozzie Smith. A SS literally makes that play every night. Very overrated defensively.

Plus Buck gifted him that moment in his last Yankee Stadium at bat. Giving away a win while the Os were in a playoff race.

Whatever you say, bro. 

Also, the O's had the division clinched for two weeks when that game happened. But I won't let that kill your  insane "Buck sucked" agenda. 

@beginthebegin71

#55 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:51 PM

No problem with Jeter in the HOF, he belongs.   

Obviously the rings help.. the post-season memories help... the Yankees surrounding cast helped. 
But he was very steady, often times very productive, and the leader of those NY teams for years. In that market, with those huge expectations. 

The glove graded out good a couple of times by the metrics of the day, but the 5 Gold Gloves were largely a joke imo. 
He was average at-best with the glove.

#56 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:52 PM

As a noted Derek Jeter HaterTM this is...not a good take.

@DJ_McCann

#57 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:58 PM

As a noted Derek Jeter HaterTM this is...not a good take.

#understatement

@beginthebegin71

#58 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:14 PM

Jeter is very overrated and doesn't deserve the distinction of a unanimous selection if that happens.

On the other hand, I don't care for the idea of withholding votes for clearly deserving players, and he is one.
  • SportsGuy and Mike in STL like this

#59 Thirteen

Thirteen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 505 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:31 PM

Hey, Ted Simmons and Marvin Miller are going with him!

#60 Thirteen

Thirteen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 505 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:34 PM

Walker is going to be painfully close. He tweeted today that he thinks he's going to fall just short..

Peter Gammons voted for Walker last year, but not this year.  I hope he feels like shit if Walker misses by one vote.

He also dropped his Todd Helton vote, and only voted for 6.  Did he suddenly decide Rockies aren't worthy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=