120 replies to this topic

#81 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:21 PM

The idea that Vizquel has 17% more of the vote than Rolen is a joke.

Weber’s post on Jeter is spot on. If you care about unanimous and what it means, Jeter shouldn’t get it. OTOH, he’s obviously a HOFer.

Happy for Walker that he got in. Do believe he has a borderline case but I think he is more deserving than not.

Of course I want to see Bonds and Clemens get in but would like to see Rolen and Schilling as well.

Only reason Schilling isn’t in is because of his politics and stuff he has talked about socially and that is, of course, total bs.

That he got over 30% more than Andruw Jones is a joke. Jones is a borderline HOFer and Vizquel is less deserving than him.

#82 Thirteen

Thirteen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 505 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:59 AM

Obviously Jeter is a HOF but Im glad someone left him off his ballot.

Whoever that someone is, I have a new hero.

#83 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:15 AM

Tee hee.

Tee hee.

#84 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:52 AM

Whatever you say, bro. 

Also, the O's had the division clinched for two weeks when that game happened. But I won't let that kill your  insane "Buck sucked" agenda. 

IIRC, The O's still had a race for HFA against one of the other division winners. (LAA?). They played him to pull, and he always slaps to RF. Markakis was practically playing CF. He double clutches the throw home which he never did. Caleb drops the throw to let the run score. It reeks of "let him have this" and Im glad it didn't have an impact after the fact. 

IDC. I'm glad others have spoken up about his being overrated. HOFer for sure. Not mad he got in. 1000% glad he wasn't unanimous because I'm sure the clowns up there already had shirts made up or something. I'm 35. Meaning he captained the team that owned my team longer in my life than he hasn't. 

I hope in his next chapter he turns out to be a lousy owner. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#85 Thirteen

Thirteen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 505 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:06 AM

Had he played anywhere but the Bronx (or maybe Boston), he probably would have been around 90-92% on his first ballot.  Still in, but not with all the slobber.

• Mike B and Mike in STL like this

#86 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:59 AM

Had he played anywhere but the Bronx (or maybe Boston), he probably would have been around 90-92% on his first ballot. Still in, but not with all the slobber.

He's like Barry Larkin with more longevity and postseason opportunity.
  • weird-O likes this

#87 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:24 AM

Btw, not that it really matters, but I 100% believe Mariano was more instrumental in winning titles than Jeter was.

However, that belief is based around what they he did in the postseason.

You obviously can argue that Jeter was more important in the regular season.

It is an interesting discussion though.

If you are going to place this high importance on a unanimous vote, Jeter clearly shouldn’t be a unanimous guy.

However, if you are going to say that if you think he’s a HOFer, you vote for him and let the chips fall where they may, it is obviously dumb that he (and many many more) weren’t unanimous.

It’s kind of like the cheating scandal. I can’t get too mad because it happened vs the Yankees.

#88 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:31 AM

Btw, not that it really matters, but I 100% believe Mariano was more instrumental in winning titles than Jeter was.

However, that belief is based around what they he did in the postseason.

You obviously can argue that Jeter was more important in the regular season.

It is an interesting discussion though.

If you are going to place this high importance on a unanimous vote, Jeter clearly shouldn’t be a unanimous guy.

However, if you are going to say that if you think he’s a HOFer, you vote for him and let the chips fall where they may, it is obviously dumb that he (and many many more) weren’t unanimous.

It’s kind of like the cheating scandal. I can’t get too mad because it happened vs the Yankees.

This is a great point. I get that the "Jeter is overrated" crew is celebrating 99.7 % as if their hate of him is somehow justified since one guy didn't vote for him, but you're right, there are so many guys who were deserving of 100% that didn't get it, that it's really not a big deal at all. 

obviously Ken Griffey Jr and Rickey Henderson (just two examples that came to mind) were far superior players than Derek Jeter, and if they didn't get 100%, then why should Jeter. It's a fair point..

@beginthebegin71

#89 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:38 PM

This is a great point. I get that the "Jeter is overrated" crew is celebrating 99.7 % as if their hate of him is somehow justified since one guy didn't vote for him, but you're right, there are so many guys who were deserving of 100% that didn't get it, that it's really not a big deal at all. 

obviously Ken Griffey Jr and Rickey Henderson (just two examples that came to mind) were far superior players than Derek Jeter, and if they didn't get 100%, then why should Jeter. It's a fair point..

100% trolling aside, this is my standpoint.

In addition, we have to also consider:

1) Someone might have put in a blank ballot because Steroid Era, or

2) Someone used their vote to push others in that needed the bump, figuring that Jeter was a lock to begin with. 

3) Someone was just taking the piss.

Varying ranges of justifiable to be sure, but one of the three could have happened.

#90 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:41 PM

100% trolling aside, this is my standpoint.

In addition, we have to also consider:

1) Someone might have put in a blank ballot because Steroid Era, or

2) Someone used their vote to push others in that needed the bump, figuring that Jeter was a lock to begin with. 

3) Someone was just taking the piss.

Varying ranges of justifiable to be sure, but one of the three could have happened.

#2 would make the most sense, not just for this instance, but in general. Granted it could have been an early vote, but assuming this person had an inkling that Jeter could have been 100%, I'm not sure what the justification is. 

Whatever, it's really not a big deal, it's the Hall of Fame whether you get 99.9% or 75.1%,. It's all good! 

@beginthebegin71

#91 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:45 PM

https://twitter.com/...7324598272?s=21

#92 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:13 PM

#2 would make the most sense, not just for this instance, but in general. Granted it could have been an early vote, but assuming this person had an inkling that Jeter could have been 100%, I'm not sure what the justification is. 

Whatever, it's really not a big deal, it's the Hall of Fame whether you get 99.9% or 75.1%,. It's all good! 

The whole unanimous thing, has become over blown.  Jeter was a great player, and rightfully deserves to get in, but when you consider only one person has ever been unanimous, the uproar is greatly overblown.

Aaron, Mays, Williams, Ruth, Mantle, F. Robby, Ripken etc. were not unanimous, and they were all probably better than Jeter, so who cares if someone did not vote for him.

@mikeghg

#93 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:17 PM

The whole unanimous thing, has become over blown.  Jeter was a great player, and rightfully deserves to get in, but when you consider only one person has ever been unanimous, the uproar is greatly overblown.

Aaron, Mays, Williams, Ruth, Mantle, F. Robby, Ripken etc. were not unanimous, and they were all probably better than Jeter, so who cares if someone did not vote for him.

Totally agree. 

Totally overblown, means nothing. But still weird. 

@beginthebegin71

#94 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

Had he played anywhere but the Bronx (or maybe Boston), he probably would have been around 90-92% on his first ballot.  Still in, but not with all the slobber.

Agree with this.  Everything is a big deal with Boston and NY.

@mikeghg

#95 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:26 PM

I'm sure Jeter is fine "settling" for having the highest % ever for a position player. 

@beginthebegin71

#96 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 February 2020 - 05:19 PM

THIS is what I’m talking about. What a foolish argument:

https://twitter.com/...3156390913?s=21

#97 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 February 2020 - 05:55 PM

THIS is what I’m talking about. What a foolish argument:

https://twitter.com/...3156390913?s=21

I’m
Gonna post Ripken > Jeter on Facebook and watch the yankee fans come out lol

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#98 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 February 2020 - 06:13 PM

But but..Jeter made 2 real neat looking plays, so he’s better!

This is the exact type of stuff that people can’t stand about the Jeter discussion...it’s why people say he’s overrated.

It’s not his fault. He was great. It’s the Yankee loving fanatics that jerk him off because he was the “captain” of the Yankees. Big damn deal!

#99 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 February 2020 - 06:15 PM

The best is the “clutch in the postseason” arguments
  • SportsGuy likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#100 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 07:44 PM

I believe Ripken is third all time in dWAR for all positions. The most underrated defender of all time.
  • SportsGuy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=