#41 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:05 PM

OMG NHL 94 was da bomb!!

Again, bought NHL 17 that year and there are like 15 ways to shoot and they never seem to work in real time.

No. 3 buttons is all you need. Skate cross ice. Shoot back to the far post. Score 6 goals a game.

go back to the original arcade, and you had a joy stick and a single button. :) :) :)

damn I am so old lol

#42 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:49 PM

OMG NHL 94 was da bomb!!

Seriously one of the top 5 sports video games of all time. They -nailed- that game. I knew next to nothing about hockey and loved that game.

#43 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 05:25 PM

The 90s NHL series still holds up. Thats rare for sports games. NBA Jam still holds up. Super Tecmo Bowl holds up. Im gonna push back on most of the older sports titles though. Loved MVP 05 but tried playing it a few years ago and I didn't have much fun. Same with NFL2k5 which was terrific at the time.

#44 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,577 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:23 PM

How much better can the graphics even get on the new systems? I know we went from 8-bit, to 16, to 64, what do they even call it now and can it get better? I was playing the last of us and my wife walked in and said “what movie is this?” I can’t imagine it can get even more realistic.

I thought the same thing in regards to graphics but it surprisingly is another leap forward. They're doing things with lighting (ray tracing) and sound that are crazy plus the new SSD allows things to process so quickly that they're able to cram more detail and other stuff in with no loss in framerate. Usually takes a couple years for developers to get up to speed though. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#45 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:06 PM

The 90s NHL series still holds up. Thats rare for sports games. NBA Jam still holds up. Super Tecmo Bowl holds up. Im gonna push back on most of the older sports titles though. Loved MVP 05 but tried playing it a few years ago and I didn't have much fun. Same with NFL2k5 which was terrific at the time.

I want to get the NBA Jam Arcade machine would bad. I already have Golden Tee so I feel like it’d be a good next addition.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#46 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,577 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:18 PM

Keep getting shut out on pre-orders.

#47 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:58 PM

Have you tried any of the non big retailers

#48 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:41 AM

Have you tried any of the non big retailers

My son usually has very good results with GameStop for pre-orders.

#49 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:59 PM

I tried to get into a recent NBA2K and it was just too much for me. What can I say, I just turned 40.

The quality of the series has gone down too.

#50 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 11:02 PM

I want to get the NBA Jam Arcade machine would bad. I already have Golden Tee so I feel like it’d be a good next addition.

Friend got an arcade cabinet some years back. It emulates like 60-70 old arcade games. One was NBA Jam TE and its still fun to play. Especially with multiple people.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#51 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:16 AM

I'm hoping they release a black one before Horizon's sequel comes out.  I'm not feeling the white one that looks like EVE from Wall-E.

Yes, I know that's a dumb reason not to buy one.

#52 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:31 AM

You find one yet? Ive heard the digital version has been harder to get than the disc version.

#53 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,577 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:08 AM

You find one yet? Ive heard the digital version has been harder to get than the disc version.

Not yet. Not too worried, not the end of the world if I have to wait until a second run but I’m still confident I’ll get one.

Yeah I heard they made a lot more of the disc version than the digital even though I think the digital version is in higher demand.

#54 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:12 PM

Friend got an arcade cabinet some years back. It emulates like 60-70 old arcade games. One was NBA Jam TE and its still fun to play. Especially with multiple people.

I've got a Golden Tee Live! machine that has like all the courses through 2005 or 6 or something, and I can upgrade it and add more if I want to. If there was one for real machine I got, I wanted that one.

I also have a 2 player arcade stick emulator system. You can use it as plug and play, which we have so far (bought it during quarantine) and it's got a lot of the great ones like The Simpsons, WWE All Stars, and like 1000 other games, I just need to drop it into a cabinet if I want the full on arcade game feel, which I think I'm going to do, I've just been dragging my feet on it. But the NBA Jam version on there is all messed up, so that's one of the ones that has gotten away so to speak so far and I wouldn't mind grabbing the cabinet for. My goal is to have a decent selection of arcade games to go in the home theater room I WILL have in our next house.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#55 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:32 PM

Somehow, my parents got through the Walmart website mess.  I'm getting one for Christmas.

• BobPhelan likes this

#56 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,577 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:46 PM

Somehow, my parents got through the Walmart website mess. I'm getting one for Christmas.

It’s amazing, you’ll love it. Finished Astro’s Playroom and Miles Morales. Loved both. Debating what to do before Cyberpunk comes out. Either dive back into Avengers or Ghost of Tsushima, or buy the new CoD.

#57 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:51 PM

I'm fiending for Ghost of Tsushima which is the whole reason I'm trying to buy a PS5.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#58 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:59 PM

Spider-Man is probably the only 'next-gen' game I'd get.  I still need to pick up Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us 2, and play through Bloodborne.

I'm hoping the ergonomics of the controller are an upgrade over the PS4 for me.  That was always a major leg up from the Xbox.

• BobPhelan likes this

#59 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,577 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:18 AM

Spider-Man is probably the only 'next-gen' game I'd get. I still need to pick up Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us 2, and play through Bloodborne.

I'm hoping the ergonomics of the controller are an upgrade over the PS4 for me. That was always a major leg up from the Xbox.

The controller is fantastic.

Bloodborne is free with PS+ along with 19 other “classic” PS4 games.

#60 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 06:22 AM

It’s amazing, you’ll love it. Finished Astro’s Playroom and Miles Morales. Loved both. Debating what to do before Cyberpunk comes out. Either dive back into Avengers or Ghost of Tsushima, or buy the new CoD.

Have you played all or most of the games from the Instant Game collection? Mostly good ones in there. I still havent played RE7 or the Crash trilogy. Will give Days Gone and Fallout 4 a shot too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=