128 replies to this topic

#21 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:29 AM

Wow, it was just August where I was reading both the new xbox and PS5 release planned for Christmas 2020 were going to be delayed due to the pandemic and falling behind on their testing schedule.

#22 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:50 AM

I just had a chance to preorder a PS5 and I didn't. I'm generally an xbox guy, and then I usually adopt the PS later in it's lifecycle and catch up on exclusives, but I'm really hoping I don't kick myself for this one later.

The first 6-12 months of a console cycle usually suck anyway. The days of having a mammoth must have game at launch are gone, they realize people will by the console just to have it with some crappy games, then will devour that A+ title whenever you get it out.

@JeremyMStrain

#23 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:40 AM

Sony is doing something pretty cool. If you buy the PS5 and already have or sign up for their psplus subscription ($60/yr) they are giving you 18 of the best PS4 titles to play for free on the PS5 on launch day. If you have a PS4 you've probably played a lot of the games but if you didn't it's a great offer since launch lineups are always weak.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#24 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:42 AM

Sony is doing something pretty cool in that if you buy the PS5 and already have or sign up for their psplus subscription ($60/yr) they are giving you 18 of the best PS4 titles to play for free on the PS5 on launch day. If you had a PS4 you probably played most of the games but if you didn't or didnt play many games it's a great offer since launch lineups are always weak.

I read that this morning. I think it's to battle that Xbox made all of their games backwards compatible, and I think a lot of the games at the end here if you buy the XB1 or PS4 version, they'll upgrade you to the next gen version for free. It's a much better approach than they have taken before.

@JeremyMStrain

#25 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:59 AM

Bring back the N64 console and James Bond games. LOL

I know, I am showing my age, but dang those games were fun to play against my son and Golden Eye was really based on the entire movie, which made it a blast.

#26 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:05 AM

Bring back the N64 console and James Bond games. LOL

I know, I am showing my age, but dang those games were fun to play against my son and Golden Eye was really based on the entire movie, which made it a blast.

Lol, I used to play these against my little brothers and cousins all the time. That is one of the iconic moments in video game history.

I read this weekend those are about to get released on the Nintendo Online store (the virtual console on the Switch)

I just wish they would remake them, like just a straight remake with better graphics and gameplay. I really liked when they re-did Perfect Dark on 360.

@JeremyMStrain

#27 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:17 AM

Lol, I used to play these against my little brothers and cousins all the time. That is one of the iconic moments in video game history.

I read this weekend those are about to get released on the Nintendo Online store (the virtual console on the Switch)

I just wish they would remake them, like just a straight remake with better graphics and gameplay. I really liked when they re-did Perfect Dark on 360.

they released a special version for the WII, and it just wasnt the same thing, it had alot of the graphics right, but it just didnt feel the same.

Its funny, we dusted off the WII, and while the grandkids love the switch, they like playing 4 people games on the wii on the big screen.

#28 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:48 AM

they released a special version for the WII, and it just wasnt the same thing, it had alot of the graphics right, but it just didnt feel the same.

Its funny, we dusted off the WII, and while the grandkids love the switch, they like playing 4 people games on the wii on the big screen.

Yeah I remember them trying to do it and it just wasn't the same, it's cause the company that originally made it was purchased by Xbox when the 360 came out. I can't remember if they went off on their own again or not, but Rare (the company) has been one of video games great mysteries. They pull one of their titles out every couple of years, but they could have been a heavy hitter and just never really did.

The Wii was the one my girls grew up on, so even with their weird controller, that was just normal for them. We FINALLY put ours away in a box and gave it to mommy to use at school. (She'll hook it up as a behavior reward for certain kids or as like a prize for good behavior/attendance sometimes) They each have an Xbox One, but the middle one plays Switch more than that, and the older one gets into a routine when sports are going that she RARELY plays anymore. The middle is just Pokemon obsessed.

• Old Man likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#29 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:52 AM

Yeah I remember them trying to do it and it just wasn't the same, it's cause the company that originally made it was purchased by Xbox when the 360 came out. I can't remember if they went off on their own again or not, but Rare (the company) has been one of video games great mysteries. They pull one of their titles out every couple of years, but they could have been a heavy hitter and just never really did.

The Wii was the one my girls grew up on, so even with their weird controller, that was just normal for them. We FINALLY put ours away in a box and gave it to mommy to use at school. (She'll hook it up as a behavior reward for certain kids or as like a prize for good behavior/attendance sometimes) They each have an Xbox One, but the middle one plays Switch more than that, and the older one gets into a routine when sports are going that she RARELY plays anymore. The middle is just Pokemon obsessed.

1st gen WII is not even compatible with HDMI, I had to order a RGB to HDMI converter for $7 off ebay, in order to hook up to the 4K tv.

But, I have to give nintendo props, for an older system, the colors and game play for what it does, is still pretty impressive.

#30 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:35 AM

How much better can the graphics even get on the new systems? I know we went from 8-bit, to 16, to 64, what do they even call it now and can it get better? I was playing the last of us and my wife walked in and said “what movie is this?” I can’t imagine it can get even more realistic.
@BSLMikeRandall

#31 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:40 AM

How much better can the graphics even get on the new systems? I know we went from 8-bit, to 16, to 64, what do they even call it now and can it get better? I was playing the last of us and my wife walked in and said “what movie is this?” I can’t imagine it can get even more realistic.

last year, my adult son's xbox did the MS kiss of death and he ended up replacing it with the new 4K version, and he said he was shocked it was that much better.

• Mike in STL likes this

#32 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:46 AM

Smoother and faster gameplay is the biggest difference youll notice. Essentially no loading times. Things definitely look better and more photorealistic but still clearly a video game. Im curious what they'll be able to do with VR
  • Mike in STL likes this

#33 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:20 PM

Yeah I'm kinda apathetic on graphics, I don't need to see hyper realistic sweat on people if I'm playing NBA 2K if the gameplay is underwhelming 

• Mike in STL likes this

she/her

#34 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:25 PM

Yeah I'm kinda apathetic on graphics, I don't need to see hyper realistic sweat on people if I'm playing NBA 2K if the gameplay is underwhelming

I’m a big gameplay guy myself. I’m good with cel shaded or cartoony graphics if the gameplay is good and it’s fun. I don’t need to look like I’m playing a movie.

It’s why I don’t really like madden. It got so concerned with realism that the gameplay got clunky and slow. Mash a couple buttons, spin, dive and stiff arm should be all you need.
@JeremyMStrain

#35 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:39 PM

I’m a big gameplay guy myself. I’m good with cel shaded or cartoony graphics if the gameplay is good and it’s fun. I don’t need to look like I’m playing a movie.

It’s why I don’t really like madden. It got so concerned with realism that the gameplay got clunky and slow. Mash a couple buttons, spin, dive and stiff arm should be all you need.

Dang, I thought I was the only person around that preferred the early gen Madden lol

Why I dont fare too well on Call to Duty genre, too many buttons, and too many bloody, stop think think how to play, and then I zoned out and smacked down dead. lol

• Mike in STL likes this

#36 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:45 PM

Dang, I thought I was the only person around that preferred the early gen Madden lol

Why I dont fare too well on Call to Duty genre, too many buttons, and too many bloody, stop think think how to play, and then I zoned out and smacked down dead. lol

Haha, nope. I refer to 1994 as the golden age of video game sports. Madden, FIFA, NHL, had em all. Gradually as games got less fun to play and more fun to sim, I started just acting like a virtual GM but that's about all I did on them. When NHL brought back the simplified old school controls I started buying those again every couple years. My 10 year old and I broke down and bought FIFA last year and we played that a bit, but there was a lot of practice and work getting used to the complicated controls. Seriously, SEGA Genesis, 3 buttons, that's all you need people.

Same, I started losing my quick twitch ability years ago. I was one of the FIRST gen of online gamers, all the way back with SOCOM on PS2, and looking back I could see when I started losing my edge. If I were to try to keep up with kids today in Fortnite or COD or anything it wouldn't be pretty. I'd have to outsmart and outplay them, I couldn't just run and gun. I really lost any love for multiplayer competitive a long time ago. Even the past few years playing Destiny I tried to avoid that side of the game as much as I could.

@JeremyMStrain

#37 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:50 PM

I tried to get into a recent NBA2K and it was just too much for me. What can I say, I just turned 40.

#38 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:57 PM

Haha, nope. I refer to 1994 as the golden age of video game sports. Madden, FIFA, NHL, had em all. Gradually as games got less fun to play and more fun to sim, I started just acting like a virtual GM but that's about all I did on them. When NHL brought back the simplified old school controls I started buying those again every couple years. My 10 year old and I broke down and bought FIFA last year and we played that a bit, but there was a lot of practice and work getting used to the complicated controls. Seriously, SEGA Genesis, 3 buttons, that's all you need people.

Same, I started losing my quick twitch ability years ago. I was one of the FIRST gen of online gamers, all the way back with SOCOM on PS2, and looking back I could see when I started losing my edge. If I were to try to keep up with kids today in Fortnite or COD or anything it wouldn't be pretty. I'd have to outsmart and outplay them, I couldn't just run and gun. I really lost any love for multiplayer competitive a long time ago. Even the past few years playing Destiny I tried to avoid that side of the game as much as I could.

Back in Win95 days, Tony LaRusso has a baseball game out for the PC, and you were the GM and could even have a fantasy team of the old stars, like Gehrig on 1st, Wagner on Short, Cobb on 2nd, you get the drift.

They say todays surgeons are the kids that grew up on video games, because they are doing things laparoscopic on the computer screen and in some cases, like the military, the surgeons doing the actual operation is down at Bethesda and the patient is in another part of the world.

#39 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:26 PM

That’s true. I play a new version of baseball or the show every few years. MVP baseball 2005 was and still is easily the best game for gameplay. Graphics get a little better on PS4, but man, running and catching a fly ball behind you on the show 2020 is damn near impossible and has been on 18, and 2015.

I think 2k sports is getting in on the NFL license. So Madden will have a little competition and hopefully improve.
@BSLMikeRandall

#40 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:30 PM

OMG NHL 94 was da bomb!!

Again, bought NHL 17 that year and there are like 15 ways to shoot and they never seem to work in real time.

No. 3 buttons is all you need. Skate cross ice. Shoot back to the far post. Score 6 goals a game.
  • JeremyStrain likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=