2489 replies to this topic

#41 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:26 PM

Can you imagine the media circus the two weeks we play the Steelers if Bell signs here? Also, Could you imagine the motivation he'd be playing with in those two games?

@BSLMikeRandall

#42 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:00 PM

Do we have the right line for his patient running style?

#43 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

Do we have the right line for his patient running style?

THAT'S the argument people should be making. That is my one problem with getting Bell. We would also need to significantly upgrade our interior line. Paradis should be a top target. Sign Bell and Paradis, and hopefully a good guard is available at our first pick. With that scenario, our offense could have a ton of potential next season.

#44 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:28 PM

For one, Bell would be asking for at least $10 million less a year than Flacco. Two, he's only 26 or 27. And I'm not sure how you can call him fools gold. Dude was the clear cut best RB in football before last year.

If you want to argue that we shouldn't spend $15+ million a year on a RB, that's one thing. But to discredit his ability, not just as a runner, but as a reciever so well, would be a bit ignorant.

If we signed Bell, he wouldn't just be our best RB, he'd be our best receiver as well. With Jackson, getting one of, if not the top playmaker in the NFL, would be huge for this offense. Jackson is going to need more than Gus Edwards and Dixon to be successful.

I did not discredit his ability.  He's clearly a great RB, a great receiver, and a very good blocking back in the passing game.  I call him a fools gold because of the money it will take to sign him.  He has already rejected a 5 year 70 million dollar offer.  Eric Decosta said the Ravens were going to be a more fiscally responsible organization.  Making Bell the top paid running back in the league would do the exact opposite.  I just think the Ravens can get better value for their money in the draft.  But they may need to trade up to do that.  They have been reluctant to do that in the past, but if you don't then you are left hoping that a lower pick back is going to be the next breakout superstar.  

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:16 PM

Bell isn’t getting 5/70 again. He will probably get something more like what David Johnson got.

A 3 year deal, 13-16M a year and a lot of it guaranteed. (I don’t know how much DJ got guaranteed, I was talking more the length and AAV)

#46 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:26 AM

I did not discredit his ability. He's clearly a great RB, a great receiver, and a very good blocking back in the passing game. I call him a fools gold because of the money it will take to sign him. He has already rejected a 5 year 70 million dollar offer. Eric Decosta said the Ravens were going to be a more fiscally responsible organization. Making Bell the top paid running back in the league would do the exact opposite. I just think the Ravens can get better value for their money in the draft. But they may need to trade up to do that. They have been reluctant to do that in the past, but if you don't then you are left hoping that a lower pick back is going to be the next breakout superstar.

Only RBs I want this year are Jacobs, Holyfield or Love. Love isn't contributing anything this year. And unless you spend our first rounder on Jacobs or Holyfield, you're not getting them.

#47 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,018 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:26 AM

Demaryius Thomas for WR?  Gonna get cut by Houston.  He tore his achilles late in the year, so you're banking on a return to health, but 8-9 months should be enough time for an achilles injury.

He's getting old, of course, but I don't think he'd be terribly expensive.  As for his recovery, Suggs and Smith Sr both were older players who had tears while playing for the Ravens in recent years and came back pretty solidly.  

#48 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:30 AM

I saw he was to be cut and he just seems like a classic Ravens target type of aging WR that gets cut. That being said, I do think he's a bit of a different mold than Mason, Boldin and Smith and I wonder if he can hold up while aging. I think the Ravens have the formula for evaluating what a veteran can do long-term pretty well though. So I'd trust if they go after him but I wouldn't want to send a lot of cap his way.

That being said, he's a big body and spent plenty of time blocking at GT in his college days, I'm sure. So maybe a great fit for this offensive scheme if there isn't a big market for him. 

#49 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:57 PM

I saw he was to be cut and he just seems like a classic Ravens target type of aging WR that gets cut. That being said, I do think he's a bit of a different mold than Mason, Boldin and Smith and I wonder if he can hold up while aging. I think the Ravens have the formula for evaluating what a veteran can do long-term pretty well though. So I'd trust if they go after him but I wouldn't want to send a lot of cap his way.

That being said, he's a big body and spent plenty of time blocking at GT in his college days, I'm sure. So maybe a great fit for this offensive scheme if there isn't a big market for him.

I'd be down. Only downside would be that he'd probably start the year on the PUP list.

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,018 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:55 PM

I'd be down. Only downside would be that he'd probably start the year on the PUP list.

I'm not so sure he would be expected to miss that many games (6 minimum if on PUP).  I don't know if he'll be back in time to begin the year, but typical recovery is not much longer than the 8 1/2 months he will have between his injury (12/23/18) and opening day (9/8/2019).  I think it's unlikely he's on the PUP list.

Jimmy Smith tore his achilles on Dec 2 2017 and was ready by preseason of 2018 (he played in late August before his suspension)

Steve Smith Sr tore his achilles on Nov 1st 2015 and was ready by Week 1 of 2016 (9/11/16)

Terrell Suggs tore his achilles in April 2012 and returned by Week 7 of 2012 (10/21/12)

Leon Hall tore his achilles on Nov 13th 2011 and was ready by Week 1 of 2012 (9/10/12)

And...my primary example:

Demaryius Thomas tore his achilles in early February 2011 and returned in Week 6 of 2011 (10/23/11), a little over 8 months after his surgery.

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:36 PM

Saw this on Twitter:

Hearing buzz that the #Broncos will let Matt Paradis test the open market. They like him but do not want to pay top dollar for the veteran center. Heard that Paradis wants to stay in Denver but won't take a low-ball offer. @1043TheFan

#52 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:00 PM

Saw this on Twitter:

Hearing buzz that the #Broncos will let Matt Paradis test the open market. They like him but do not want to pay top dollar for the veteran center. Heard that Paradis wants to stay in Denver but won't take a low-ball offer. @1043TheFan

Hopefully dumping Flacco's contract is a move towards offering him enough to lure him from Denver. I would love to sign Paradis, one of the safeties and resign Mosley and Smith. That would be a damn good offseason with just those moves.

#53 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:39 AM

I do think part of the early trade of Flacco was to give the Ravens even more cap breathing room right at the start of FA.

We've seen them historically be aggressive with their targets early and then wait out the full market. So I'll be interested to see if it's Paradis they go after. 

Mike Iupati might be a guy I'd also think about bringing in, too. RG never settled. He shouldn't be had on a cheap one year deal. Roman knows him well from his time in SF. And if he can return to form, perhaps a decent plug in for Yanda. If not...there isn't a ton of risk there. 

#54 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,018 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:46 AM

Plug in for Yanda?

#55 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:51 AM

I do think part of the early trade of Flacco was to give the Ravens even more cap breathing room right at the start of FA.

We've seen them historically be aggressive with their targets early and then wait out the full market. So I'll be interested to see if it's Paradis they go after. 

Mike Iupati might be a guy I'd also think about bringing in, too. RG never settled. He shouldn't be had on a cheap one year deal. Roman knows him well from his time in SF. And if he can return to form, perhaps a decent plug in for Yanda. If not...there isn't a ton of risk there. 

Yanda isn't going anywhere.

#56 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:00 PM

Honestly, I think those thinking there are going to be stark changes to this roster, other than FA and drafted additions are fooling themselves.  I think they believe this team, with a few shrewd moves could be a contender.  DeCosta certainly doesn't want the team to not make the playoffs his first year as the true GM, neither does Harbaugh or SB.  I can see them letting Tony Jefferson go, Crabtree and maybe Weddle, although I doubt they want to lose his leadership and play calling.  I think they don't sign any of their pending FA (I wouldl like John Brown resigned to a reasonable contract but doubt it happens) with the exception of Mosley who I can see them franchising if they can't come to an agreement.  I see them building on the interior offensive line, and adding some playmakers on the O (Golden Tate, drafting a RB, and a WR) but I think wholesale changes such as cutting Jimmy Smith are not gonna happen, especially with the cap room they will have next year.

#57 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

Plug in for Yanda?

Yanda isn't going anywhere.

Meant to add long-term there, sorry. Like if he can rebound, could play LG down the road potentially. Yanda is not going anywhere this year. 

• Hooded Viper likes this

#58 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:47 PM

Honestly, I think those thinking there are going to be stark changes to this roster, other than FA and drafted additions are fooling themselves. I think they believe this team, with a few shrewd moves could be a contender. DeCosta certainly doesn't want the team to not make the playoffs his first year as the true GM, neither does Harbaugh or SB. I can see them letting Tony Jefferson go, Crabtree and maybe Weddle, although I doubt they want to lose his leadership and play calling. I think they don't sign any of their pending FA (I wouldl like John Brown resigned to a reasonable contract but doubt it happens) with the exception of Mosley who I can see them franchising if they can't come to an agreement. I see them building on the interior offensive line, and adding some playmakers on the O (Golden Tate, drafting a RB, and a WR) but I think wholesale changes such as cutting Jimmy Smith are not gonna happen, especially with the cap room they will have next year.

Not sure what qualifies as "stark" changes. I'm not expecting them to go out and grab 4 of the top 10 FA's. But I expect they'll go hard after resigning ZDS and Mosley and two of their top FA targets. I think that's pretty par for the course in Ravens offseasons. My guess would be Paradis is definitely a top target, and probably one of the safeties.

I have dream scenarios of course. As do most. Such as signing Paradis and Bell and grabbing Clinton-dix. But I'm not expecting it.

#59 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:53 PM

My dream would be Paradis and Thomas. I wouldn't hate Bell but I think Thomas could come here and be the FS until he's done like Weddle did. 

#60 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:09 PM

Not sure what qualifies as "stark" changes. I'm not expecting them to go out and grab 4 of the top 10 FA's. But I expect they'll go hard after resigning ZDS and Mosley and two of their top FA targets. I think that's pretty par for the course in Ravens offseasons. My guess would be Paradis is definitely a top target, and probably one of the safeties.

I have dream scenarios of course. As do most. Such as signing Paradis and Bell and grabbing Clinton-dix. But I'm not expecting it.

I think my mean by "stark" is that we would be cutting/not signing a ton of current players, mostly on D, in order to correct our cap standing.  I may be totally off base here, that's a term my wife loves to use for me :), but I think there are quite a few on here that feel like the Ravens are going to attempt to take a step back back in order to get better for the future.  I just don't agree that that is gonna happen.  Again, I may be reading the tea leaves incorrectly so I am certainly not trying to put words in peoples mouths.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=