#21 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:38 PM

Barf.

People already think Harbs is too rah rah. If you don't think Harbaugh has the same analytical football X and O skills as Romo, you're delusional. Even these mediocre coaches have forgotten more about the game than people here.

Romo isn't stupid, but he's not popular because he's a great football mind. He's popular because he can translate that into a way that the masses can enjoy. He's already go the name recognition. And he has dated hot blonde women. He's got all the cache of Hollywood and with an actual football brain. And he's not even as right as everyone pretends. If you actually sit and listen to him he's right about 50% of the time.

Romo is dumbing down what he sees on the field significantly from what he says, too. So evaluating his skills as a head coach from what we hear on TV is crazy.

I have a ton of respect for your football mind, Biggsy, but I think this would be a terrible idea.

Those are all fair points. I dont doubt Harbaughs football knowledge. But to think a guy that played QB at an extremely high level as long as Romo did, while really not possessing any great physical gifts, doesnt possess a ton of football knowledge that could translate as a coach, I think it'd be fair to say you're severely underestimating him.

This was just a fun hypothetical question. A lot of people will hate it simply because they dont like Romo. Some just don't like gambling with one of the most important positions in their organization. I'm indifferent to Romo as a person. I think he was a great QB that never will get the credit he truly deserves because of his shortcomings in the playoffs. Very similar to Rivers. As a coach, I honestly think he'd be extremely good. Maybe not as a head coach, but I could see him as an OC.

#22 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:18 AM

I was surprised to hear Romo's name come up as a head coach candidate, especially with a team supposedly inquiring about his interest. I think the guy's great as an announcer, and I think he was a better QB than he got credit for while playing, but I'm not sure how well that would translate to coaching.

I'm very skeptical about bringing in a guy who hasn't spent even a day as a position coach or coordinator at any level to be the head coach. That seems like a tall order, even for a guy who was a high-level player in the league. Has that ever happened before? OC, QB coach, passing game coordinator maybe, but to jump right to HC is not a risk I'd want to take.

That being said, I don't see why Romo would be in any rush to leave the booth anyway. It's a pretty cushy job that he's being paid well to do, and he's a star and clearly enjoys it..

#23 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

Romo did, while really not possessing any great physical gifts, doesnt possess a ton of football knowledge that could translate as a coach, I think it'd be fair to say you're severely underestimating him.

The first part of your statement is true. I think he's a smart football guy. I don't think he's necessarily smarter than Harbaugh because he says stuff on TV. I think he COULD be a good coach. But I wouldn't assume it to be a given. 

I'm not really estimating him at all. I just think you can find as smart of a football guy that's actually coaching somewhere rather than on TV if you're doing the search right. 

It's also fair to say, and Gabe knows this really well, I particularly dislike Romo. 

#24 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:28 PM

I'll also throw this out there about Romo: https://www.wsj.com/...05802?mod=e2tws (it's a pay wall, so I wasn't able to read the whole article, but Romo seemed pleased with that percentage himself). 

He's made 72 predictions over 46 hours of tape (so it's not as many predictions as everyone acts like he makes). He got 68% right. 

That seems high but that's a terribly low number of overall predictions for numbers of plays. And you'd assume he's predicting in pretty favorable situations. No reason to go on record if he's confused by what he sees. 

Also, for the record, I'd gladly trade Harbaugh, and I wouldn't fundamentally object to Romo as a coach, but I'd trust the Ravens FO to do it the "right way" in selecting the next coach of the team. And if that led to Romo, I'd be satisfied. 

#25 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:51 PM

I'll also throw this out there about Romo: https://www.wsj.com/...05802?mod=e2tws (it's a pay wall, so I wasn't able to read the whole article, but Romo seemed pleased with that percentage himself). 

He's made 72 predictions over 46 hours of tape (so it's not as many predictions as everyone acts like he makes). He got 68% right. 

That seems high but that's a terribly low number of overall predictions for numbers of plays. And you'd assume he's predicting in pretty favorable situations. No reason to go on record if he's confused by what he sees. 

Also, for the record, I'd gladly trade Harbaugh, and I wouldn't fundamentally object to Romo as a coach, but I'd trust the Ravens FO to do it the "right way" in selecting the next coach of the team. And if that led to Romo, I'd be satisfied. 

If coaches in a booth can look down and tell the QB or D caller at the last few seconds what it looks like, they would also look good.

#26 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 11:30 AM

Which of the current crop of FAs are realistic targets for the Ravens this off-season? I don't mean wish list players, but actual legitimate options based on the Ravens track record in FA, and their cap space relative to the rest of the league (I believe they're around 18th in cap right now, but that's sure to change so let's say middle of the pack).

I'm just looking at positions of need right now.

Safety: I think HaHa Clinton Dix is probably the high end, with Tre Boston being a cheaper option.

Pass rusher: I don't believe Clowney actually makes it to FA, and I'm sure a couple of the other top guys will get franchised or signed long-term before then. Regardless, I don't see the Ravens being realistic players for any of the top 5 or so guys. One of the better arguments for signing ZDS, imo, is that he might be the best they could do in FA anyway. Preston Smith from Washington also had a decent year, and is another option.

Interior O-line: Given the slim pickings for legit, proven interior players, I think they'd be lucky to land Paradis or Saffold. Those two aren't out of the question, but Mitch Morse seems more likely.

WR: Even slimmer options than o-line. Maybe Tyrell Williams? I think he probably gets overpaid by some team that's desperate. Could try to bring John Brown back too. Otherwise you're looking at guys like Cole Beasley (already have Snead) or Chris Hogan.

RB: ? Not sure it's worth chasing anybody who'll be available. I'm counting Bell out of the question. Ingram probably will be the most coveted guy, so I think he'll get too expensive. If Tevin Coleman from Atlanta is available he might be worth looking into. I don't think they'll necessarily be able to upgrade the backfield in FA.

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 February 2019 - 11:37 AM

Paradis is probably by too FA target.

I’m not sure Clowney will be franchised. Figure Houston would have already signed him but I guess you never know. He would be high on my list too. Trey Flowers is a FA I believe and I doubt NE will franchise him.

Amos is a good safety target.

#28 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:34 PM

I’m not sure Clowney will be franchised. Figure Houston would have already signed him but I guess you never know. He would be high on my list too. Trey Flowers is a FA I believe and I doubt NE will franchise him.

Bringing Amos home, is an intriguing idea.    

@mikeghg

#29 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:16 AM

Paradis should be our top priority. I'd be happy with any of the safety FA's. After Thomas it's pretty much even as far as talent. I'd prefer Clinton-dix or Thomas, but I wouldnt be mad with Amos or Joyner.

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:52 PM

In a new ESPN.com column talking about moves each team could make, this was said:

The Ravens sign Mark Ingram in free agency. 

Baltimore has done its best with patchwork at running back over the past four seasons -- from Justin Forsett to Terrance West to Alex Collins to Gus Edwards-- but the team needs a proven featured back in building an offense around Lamar Jackson. Under offensive coordinator Greg Roman, veteran runners such as Frank Gore and LeSean McCoy have thrived. Ingram is the type of durable, physical and efficient back (4.5-yard career average) who would be the perfect fit in Baltimore's offense. -- Jamison Hensley

Is Ingram any better than what we have here?  I don't get why he would be a target for us.

#31 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:01 PM

In a new ESPN.com column talking about moves each team could make, this was said:

Is Ingram any better than what we have here?  I don't get why he would be a target for us.

Isn't he also like 30 years old? He's a good RB, probably a little better than what we have, but his age is a major factor. I'm also opposed to putting significant resources into the RB position on a fundamental level.

@gabefergy

#32 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:18 PM

I just heard that JLC said the Ravens could be interested in LeVeon Bell. I hope not.

#33 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:55 PM

I just heard that JLC said the Ravens could be interested in LeVeon Bell. I hope not.

God forbid we add one of the best offensive playmakers in the NFL.

#34 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:58 PM

Expensive running backs are a waste of cap space.

• SportsGuy likes this

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:25 PM

Just because he has been a great playmaker, doesn’t mean he will continue to be as he gets older.

#36 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:24 PM

I mean, I wouldn't be mad about bringing in Bell. He's not exactly your typical RB.

But if they're gonna spend that kinda money and make a splash in FA, go after one of the top pass rushers. I'll believe it when I see it, though.

#37 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:34 PM

Expensive running backs are a waste of cap space.

And the Forsett, Collins, West, Dixon and Edwards's of the world have really made our offense dynamic over the years. Top playmakers in their mid 20's rarely become available. This offense has been mediocre to bad since it lost Rice. I've never seen a group of people fight getting a top playmaker as much as this group. You'd rather save $8-$10 million a year and continuously run garbage on the field vs paying for the man considered by most to be the top RB in the NFL before last year.

At some point you need to get elite playmakers on offense. Hedging your bets on a 3rd or later round pick isnt the way to do that.

#38 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:04 AM

I don't think the Ravens will have a serious interest in Bell because I think they are a smarter organization than that.  Bell didn't lose a whole year salary to come back at anything less than close to Todd Gurley type of money.  Why would the Ravens get out from under Flacco's contract just to get back into the same situation?  While Bell might have fresh legs from sitting for a year, he still can't reverse father time.  Age hits RBs more than just about any position.  Targeting a young back in the draft would probably pay off more in terms of value to money spent than making him one of the highest paid backs in the league.  I would be surprised if the Ravens chase after a fools gold.  They have never really done that before in FA and I don't see them being that stupid now.  

#39 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:27 PM

I'd be okay with Bell if he has anything good left in his tank, we can get him at a cap manageable price, and we draft some quality
OL to augment the attack.

#40 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:27 PM

I don't think the Ravens will have a serious interest in Bell because I think they are a smarter organization than that. Bell didn't lose a whole year salary to come back at anything less than close to Todd Gurley type of money. Why would the Ravens get out from under Flacco's contract just to get back into the same situation? While Bell might have fresh legs from sitting for a year, he still can't reverse father time. Age hits RBs more than just about any position. Targeting a young back in the draft would probably pay off more in terms of value to money spent than making him one of the highest paid backs in the league. I would be surprised if the Ravens chase after a fools gold. They have never really done that before in FA and I don't see them being that stupid now.

For one, Bell would be asking for at least $10 million less a year than Flacco. Two, he's only 26 or 27. And I'm not sure how you can call him fools gold. Dude was the clear cut best RB in football before last year.

If you want to argue that we shouldn't spend $15+ million a year on a RB, that's one thing. But to discredit his ability, not just as a runner, but as a reciever so well, would be a bit ignorant.

If we signed Bell, he wouldn't just be our best RB, he'd be our best receiver as well. With Jackson, getting one of, if not the top playmaker in the NFL, would be huge for this offense. Jackson is going to need more than Gus Edwards and Dixon to be successful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=