441 replies to this topic

#21 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:14 PM

Apparently Casher really liked it here. I know it's a business and the writing was on the wall when he pitched well enough for a losing team. But still. 

From last year to this year, Cashner figured out how to induce ground balls again in a juiced ball, hitters park. Ks are up and BBs are down. Someone from the old regime probably screwed him up last year. ERA and FIP are pretty close.

If the Red Sux don't want him down the road, wouldn't mind bringing him back on a smarter contract. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:14 PM

Alex Speier(Boston Globe):

Assistant GM Eddie Romero on Noelberth Romero and Elio Prado, the 17-yr-olds the Sox traded to Baltimore: ‘I know these guys are far off, but it hurt. When they were coming up with these names, they weren’t guys that we were hoping they’d asked for...

but when an opportunity comes to help out the big league team with a starting pitcher, it’s tough to say no.’
  • You Play to Win the Game, Dr. FLK and Hooded Viper like this

#23 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:20 PM

Alex Speier(Boston Globe):

Assistant GM Eddie Romero on Noelberth Romero and Elio Prado, the 17-yr-olds the Sox traded to Baltimore: ‘I know these guys are far off, but it hurt. When they were coming up with these names, they weren’t guys that we were hoping they’d asked for...

but when an opportunity comes to help out the big league team with a starting pitcher, it’s tough to say no.’

If true, good to hear. 

Could also be blowing smoke up our asses. What are they gonna say? "Glad we got rid of those very replaceable bums!"

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#24 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:32 PM

I know nothing about either.  Never heard of them before.  I agree with the comment that this is a trade Perez orchestrated.

The term cold blooded as a description for Elias fits even more now.  There is less than zero concern for having a watchable product for the next few years.

I would like to wish Cash good luck but screw Boston.

@mikeghg

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:57 PM

If true, good to hear. 

Could also be blowing smoke up our asses. What are they gonna say? "Glad we got rid of those very replaceable bums!"

They don't really need to say anything.

A simple, "we needed to improve our ML pitching and getting rid of a few players who won't help us anytime soon was a reasonable price for us to pay".

He doesn't need to sell anyone on those guys now...the deal is done.

#26 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,127 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:58 PM

I suspect that if you look at the list of names of regular Major Leaguers who were non prospects at 17, the list is very long. These guys aren't even adults yet. How can we be writing them off already?

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:06 PM

When the White Sox signed Tatis Jr, they gave him 825K.  That's a lot but that's not a huge amount.  

When they traded him for James Shields, his early MiL numbers were relatively pedestrian.  He had good upside but he didn't really take off until after he got into the Pads organization.

I say this not to say either of these guys will become one of the best prospects in the game but because you just don't know how guys develop.  The Red Sox have shown to be pretty good evaluators of talent over the years...Elias, Medjal and Perez have as well.

If all of those FO people like these guys enough to take a chance on them, that's good enough for me.

In a few years, these guys may never be heard from again.  OTOH, in a few years we also could be saying how in the hell did we get this guy for Andrew Cashner?  

#28 Dystopia

Dystopia
  • Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:36 PM

Looks like a salary dump to me.

#29 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:39 PM

Looks like a salary dump to me.

They re only saving 1.5M...They paid more for his deal (1.8M) than they are saving for the rest of the year. 

This is more than a salary dump.

• BobPhelan likes this

#30 Dystopia

Dystopia
  • Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:42 PM

They re only saving 1.5M...They paid more for his deal (1.8M) than they are saving for the rest of the year. 

This is more than a salary dump.

Huh... well this doesn't look like a very good trade then.

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:42 PM

Huh... well this doesn't look like a very good trade then.

Why?  What can you tell us about the players they got back?

What do you think Cashner was worth?

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:44 PM

Zach Silver:

Mike Elias said Cashner deal materialized in the past week and the offer from the Red Sox had the most upside -- but also some risk -- of any deal on the table. Not sure if any more deals will come, but the focus on getting int'l young talent was driving force to this trade.

#33 Dystopia

Dystopia
  • Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:46 PM

Why?  What can you tell us about the players they got back?

What do you think Cashner was worth?

Not much you can say about two 17 year olds, can you? I hope they at least have high upside, but I'd have preferred a high A guy or something. 

#34 Dystopia

Dystopia
  • Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:47 PM

Zach Silver:

Mike Elias said Cashner deal materialized in the past week and the offer from the Red Sox had the most upside -- but also some risk -- of any deal on the table. Not sure if any more deals will come, but the focus on getting int'l young talent was driving force to this trade.

High risk, yeah... that seems to be putting it mildly. 

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:50 PM

High risk, yeah... that seems to be putting it mildly. 

Do you think spending money internationally is dumb?

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:51 PM

Not much you can say about two 17 year olds, can you? I hope they at least have high upside, but I'd have preferred a high A guy or something. 

So, you would have preferred an older player with lesser upside?  Why?

#37 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:55 PM

Who cares what level a prospect is at in a trade like this? We got two guys who are in an age appropriate league. They have encouraging stats for where they are and clearly our scouts liked what they saw.

I understand preferring guys that have more information about them out there to get a better feel for what we got back but just because we don't know anything about them doesn't mean the front office doesn't either. Its risky because they may flame out and never make it to AA but if one of them blows up into a top 100 prospect in a few years then it looks genius. Time will tell.

#38 Dystopia

Dystopia
  • Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:58 PM

So, you would have preferred an older player with lesser upside?  Why?

Older doesn't mean much when you're comparing it to 17 year olds. Cashner should have brought back someone who has a high chance of contributing to the MLB team in 2 - 3 years or so. These two could in 5 years but I doubt it. 

#39 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,127 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:59 PM

It is downright crazy to me that we got two 17 year olds who at least have enough talent to get scouted and signed in high school for Andrew freaking Cashner, and people are already calling it a bust of a trade.
  • DJ MC likes this

#40 Dystopia

Dystopia
  • Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:59 PM

Do you think spending money internationally is dumb?

That's not the point, like, at all. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=