Photo

NBA 2019-20 General Talk (Lakers Win The Championship)

• Please log in to reply
1729 replies to this topic

#41 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:02 PM

Yea there are some that think you take one of the PGs at 3, because of the way the game is played.

Some are also simply not high on Barrett.

#42 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:03 PM

Brogdon would be a great addition.

Wonder if they would explore a Conley trade?

I think that would be a good fit, but he's tough to make work with the cap.

#43 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:20 PM

I think that would be a good fit, but he's tough to make work with the cap.

Yea that’s my thought too.

I feel they need some kind of an established PG though. Not sure what they can do in that area.

#44 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:34 PM

Yea that’s my thought too.

I feel they need some kind of an established PG though. Not sure what they can do in that area.

Well if they can't get Kyrie or Kemba, I'm happy with guys like Brogdon and Beverly. Shooting is more important than traditional point guard play imo.

#45 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:52 PM

Looks like the Lakers won't have as much money to spend as anticipated.

They could have had more money if they made the transaction date July 30 rather than July 6.

So $23.7 million seems to be the number.

It really feels like the Lakers poor management and desperation resulted in a less than optimal trade for Davis. It's still great to have him, but I think they could have negotiated better.

#46 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:16 PM

Looks like the Lakers won't have as much money to spend as anticipated.
They could have had more money if they made the transaction date July 30 rather than July 6.
So $23.7 million seems to be the number.
It really feels like the Lakers poor management and desperation resulted in a less than optimal trade for Davis. It's still great to have him, but I think they could have negotiated better.

They may not have had a choice.

Waiting until July 30 holds up a lot of things.

Can’t imagine teams would be sending out players to the summer league when they aren’t even part of the organization they are going to end up with.

Plus, it holds up free agency as well.

Don’t think it’s terribly realistic for them to have to wait al ost a month for this deal to become official.

Davis is getting a bonus for being traded but he can decline it.

Maybe that was worked out and he will be declining the 4M?

#47 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:35 PM

They may not have had a choice.

Waiting until July 30 holds up a lot of things.

Can’t imagine teams would be sending out players to the summer league when they aren’t even part of the organization they are going to end up with.

Plus, it holds up free agency as well.

Don’t think it’s terribly realistic for them to have to wait al ost a month for this deal to become official.

Davis is getting a bonus for being traded but he can decline it.

Maybe that was worked out and he will be declining the 4M?

It's very realistic.

The Lakers probably didn't even realize the cap ramifications of it though and I wish I was kidding.

But sure, the Pelicans would prefer the earlier transaction date. The Lakers should have been able to do better in this though, whether that was the transaction date, keeping Hart, and/or giving up less draft assets.

#48 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:01 PM

It's very realistic.
The Lakers probably didn't even realize the cap ramifications of it though and I wish I was kidding.
But sure, the Pelicans would prefer the earlier transaction date. The Lakers should have been able to do better in this though, whether that was the transaction date, keeping Hart, and/or giving up less draft assets.

Well I’m sure there was some taking advantage of them and apparently, the Celtics weren’t willing to include Tatum.

However, Boston could have said we will do the earlier date and offered some young players plus the future first rounders they have that could be high picks.

So, it’s not like the Lakers were bidding against themselves.

Not to mention, Ball and Ingram have been hurt and still haven’t come close to fulfilling their potential, so there is some damaged goods aspect of things there.

If this is what you have to do to insure you get a guy like Davis, you do it.

#49 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:05 PM

My thought is that they went above and beyond what they had to give up considering the competition didn't seem that strong.

#50 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:10 PM

My thought is that they went above and beyond what they had to give up considering the competition didn't seem that strong.

I thought that too, but don't forget the ill feelings from the trade deadline when NO felt like LA was trying to bully them into the deal. I'm sure they paid a premium because of it.

@JeremyMStrain

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:18 PM

I thought that too, but don't forget the ill feelings from the trade deadline when NO felt like LA was trying to bully them into the deal. I'm sure they paid a premium because of it.

New GM..don’t think that mattered

#52 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:19 PM

Maybe..maybe not.

We know the Celtics were involved and can offer similar things.

From what I read, it seems that the high pick in this draft made the difference.

That’s the one asset the Lakers didn’t have a few months ago. Getting lucky in the lottery is likely why he is a Laker and not a Celtic.

#53 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:28 PM

Maybe..maybe not.

We know the Celtics were involved and can offer similar things.

From what I read, it seems that the high pick in this draft made the difference.

That’s the one asset the Lakers didn’t have a few months ago. Getting lucky in the lottery is likely why he is a Laker and not a Celtic.

Well what they had a few months ago isn't particularly relevant considering the Pelicans weren't going to deal him.

Obviously the pick helped, though.

The Celtics offer was probably well short of this if they weren't including Tatum.

#54 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:40 PM

Well what they had a few months ago isn't particularly relevant considering the Pelicans weren't going to deal him.
Obviously the pick helped, though.
The Celtics offer was probably well short of this if they weren't including Tatum.

Well if they had Smart, Brown (and maybe others) and future picks that will definitely be higher than the Lakers future picks, it very well could have been comparable.

BUT, they couldn’t give them that high pick right now. That was the difference maker in this deal.

#55 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:58 AM

Zach Lowe on the trade: https://www.espn.com...ormous-ad-trade

He suggests that Boston wasn't close to the offering what the Lakers did.

#56 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:47 AM

Right...no Tatum.

The lack of Tatum and the addition of the 4th pick were the 2 things that drove the offer in the favor of the Lakers.

That's different than saying they paid way too much and way more than they needed to.

#57 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:00 PM

Right...no Tatum.

The lack of Tatum and the addition of the 4th pick were the 2 things that drove the offer in the favor of the Lakers.

That's different than saying they paid way too much and way more than they needed to.

If no other team was close, then that does suggest that they gave up too much.

#58 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:24 PM

If no other team was close, then that does suggest that they gave up too much.

Not really.

Because the definition of not close in the eyes of Lowe’s source and how the Pelicans saw it are 2 different things.

Your basically saying that LA could have gotten Davis for less than they did. There isn’t anything out there that supports that because we don’t know what else was offered. All we know is the deal got done.

In the eyes of the Lakers, the other first round picks are largely meaningless. I believe you have even said on here that later first round picks aren’t that valuable...and they aren’t. Not that you can't find quality there of course.

They weren’t getting him for just Ingram, Ball and this year’s pick. We also know that Tatum was likely available but it wasn’t Tatum AND everything else valuable. But you could argue that Tatum and 1 or 2 future first rounders (but not the Memphis first rounder) was more valuable than Ball, Ingram and this year’s 4th.

NO could also prefer Smart, Brown and the Memphis first rounder or, at least, valued it more and the Lakers had to come to with more.

End of the day, who cares either way? You got the asset you needed and wanted and if Hart and one of those first rounders made it an overpay, who cares? 2 extremely replaceable assets to insure you get an elite, arguably top 5 player? That’s a no brainer.

If your argument is strictly the Lakers need to operate and negotiate better, I can see that but complaining about that without knowing all the facts seems pointless to me. We are hearing different things from different sources.

The only thing that seems to be definite is that the addition of the 4th pick by LA was huge and that the Celtics weren’t including Tatum and everything else. Those 2 points seem to be consistent.

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:32 PM

CBS Sports: 2019 NBA Draft: Eight possible trades that need to happen; Bradley Beal to Celtics or Pelicans?
https://www.cbssport...cs-or-pelicans/

#60 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:41 PM

All the reporting I have seen suggests that the Lakers could have likely gotten him for less.

And I really have to explain why I care about that???

As for the Celtics, they may not have been willing to include Tatum at all (conflicting reports), but including him or making any strong offer seemed to be contingent on getting Kyrie to commit to staying, which most feel was a longshot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=