#321 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 May 2023 - 07:44 AM

I think where Vavra loses the matchup is defensively in the outfield.  By quite a bit.  The 4th outfielder, IMO has to be a good defender,  

@mikeghg

#322 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 07:48 AM

I think where Vavra loses the matchup is defensively in the outfield.  By quite a bit.  The 4th outfielder, IMO has to be a good defender,  

Now that Hays no longer seems an adequate CF, I think this is very true.  Gotta have someone who can fill in for Mullins when needed.  We're not benching him against LHP like we did last year, so that reduces the need quite a bit, but its still there.

#323 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 07:56 AM

I dont know how often they would play Stowers in CF. Think it would always be McKenna tbh. God, I dont even want to do this hypothetical, but if Ced goes down who do you think is our everyday CF. I think McKenna would def play there vs LHP. RHP more up in the air. Maybe they call Cowser up and hes the guy but it wouldnt surprise me if its still McKenna. Especially if its a short IL stint for Ced.

#324 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 08:29 AM

BTW Stowers 4 good ABs yesterday. He hit a ball hard up the middle gloved by the SS, struckout taking a 3-2 pitch that was off the plate, grounder that moved a runner over to 3rd with none out, then singled.  Also made a nice running play on a hard hit ball in the 5th.

#325 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 May 2023 - 08:37 AM

I think McKenna fills the traditional 4th OF role so there's no need for another 4th outfielder type. The Stowers roster spot should be a bat that can push Santander, Hays, and Mountcastle for playing time, and keep Frazier out of the outfield. Plus some pinch hitting.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#326 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 08:43 AM

I think McKenna fills the traditional 4th OF role so there's no need for another 4th outfielder type. The Stowers roster spot should be a bat that can push Santander, Hays, and Mountcastle for playing time, and keep Frazier out of the outfield. Plus some pinch hitting.

[COUGH]ColtonCowser[/COUGH]

#327 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 May 2023 - 08:57 AM

[COUGH]ColtonCowser[/COUGH]

Yes, but he should play close to everyday. DH is also often available though too (wouldn't really put Cowser there, but he could push Santander and/or Hays to DH).

#328 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 09:28 AM

I dont know how often they would play Stowers in CF. Think it would always be McKenna tbh. God, I dont even want to do this hypothetical, but if Ced goes down who do you think is our everyday CF. I think McKenna would def play there vs LHP. RHP more up in the air. Maybe they call Cowser up and hes the guy but it wouldnt surprise me if its still McKenna. Especially if its a short IL stint for Ced.

McKenna could fill in for up to a week but if its an IL trip then I think Cowser is the only choice.  I don't think Hays is really a suitable option any longer.  Stowers I don't think ever was.  I guess in an emergency anything can happen, Santander played CF like 20 times in 2019, so Stowers or Hays could get some CF time but it wouldn't be anyone's primary plan.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#329 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 May 2023 - 07:53 PM

This guy can hit the road

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#330 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 September 2023 - 04:06 PM

Minors

.275/.388/.566 (.954), 51 R, 10 doubles, 1 triple, 21 HR, 58 RBI, 43 BB, 3 SB, 258 AB

136 wRC+, 13.8% BB rate, 25.6% K rate, .291 ISO

#331 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 02:25 AM

Dude just mashes AAA pitching. Shame he'll probably never get a real chance in Baltimore.

#332 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 06:43 AM

Trade him. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#333 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 06:54 AM

Was only .875 in AAA. Still good dont get me wrong but not as good as the overall numbers above. Hes a secondary trade piece at best

#334 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 September 2023 - 03:06 PM

Was only .875 in AAA. Still good dont get me wrong but not as good as the overall numbers above. Hes a secondary trade piece at best

He rebounded after a rough start in AAA.  He has become the forgotten man.

@mikeghg

#335 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 10:30 AM

MASN: Elias on Stowers: "This guy still has his whole career ahead of him"

https://www.masnspor...lias-on-stowers

#336 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 December 2023 - 01:10 PM

MASN: Elias on Stowers: "This guy still has his whole career ahead of him"

https://www.masnspor...lias-on-stowers

...with another club

• Mike in STL likes this

#337 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 18 December 2023 - 12:04 AM

Stowers has one option left.  You can burn that in 2024, but then you are way behind in getting anything through trade heading into 2025.

Every FO in Baseball can count to 4.

#338 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 December 2023 - 11:57 PM

Stowers trade thought. 

Stowers needs to be traded, the only question is to who and for what.

There's a fair amount of discussion on the Padres this offseason with the passing of Peter Seidler and the subsequent changes in payroll considerations for 2024. Right now they have 2 OFers on their 40 man and one of them is a backup type (Azocar).  If they are going to significantly reduce payroll, they're going to need some players that are playing for the League minimum.

Their system lacks upper level OFers.  They could especially use one that's LHed, given the RHed nature of the rest of the roster.

Stowers scuffled in his brief time in 2023 (2 for 30) but has an OPS around .900 that last three years between AA/AAA.  He needs opportunity and he's not getting it in Baltimore.  He lost his prospect status but would still probably be above Beavers and still has less than a year of Service.

Stowers is a good, LHed left-field option for a Padres team that could use a couple cheap, simple answers.

Return doesn't have to be for the ML club.  Maybe you use it to acquire someone for another trade.  

SD doesn't really have too much at the top I care about.  You aren't getting their top guys and they don' match up well.  Working down the prospect list, just looking at profiles.  

2 guys that stood out in the range where you could probably talk are #19 6'6" LHSP Blake Dickerson and #20 RHed catcher, Lamar King Jr.  Both are younger guys and maybe something of a project, but look for guys that are the next wave and take the time to develop tools. If the Pads want to shed a little money, give up some IFA cap (can't spend it if you don't have it).

Interesting note on all of these guys...Stowers is from El Cajon, CA.  That's San Diego. He's probably a Padre fan.  He'd be the most excited guy in the room to go from Norfolk with little path to the Majors to the starting LFer for his hometown Padres.

Dickerson was a later draft pick in 2022 but was give n 4th round money as a fast riser from VA Beach.  

King's dad played pro-football and he went to Calvert Hall College HS in MD. 

#339 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 05 April 2024 - 08:14 PM

Another game in center for Stowers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=