#241 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,721 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 August 2022 - 09:52 AM

And FWIW, I will take Stowers every time over Phillips.  Phillips is an excellent defensive outfielder, which is something we already have on the current roster.

The Orioles need to see if Stowers can help with his bat.

:smile:

#242 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 10:19 AM

His reaction after the homer was great, that was the fastest sprint around the bases I've seen for a HR.  He couldn't wait to get back to the dugout with his teammates.

Hopefully this gets him going a bit.

#243 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 August 2022 - 10:32 AM

His reaction after the homer was great, that was the fastest sprint around the bases I've seen for a HR.  He couldn't wait to get back to the dugout with his teammates.

Hopefully this gets him going a bit.

His interview was classic.  He said he may have blacked out going around the bases.

@mikeghg

#244 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 September 2022 - 09:33 AM

He has been in the lineup 8 times in the 18 games since he got called up on August 19th

she/her

#245 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 September 2022 - 09:54 AM

He has been in the lineup 8 times in the 18 games since he got called up on August 19th

I really don't have too much of a problem with that.  His time will come.  I think he should start tonight though.  Maybe in place of Hays.

@mikeghg

#246 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,655 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 11:44 AM

Up to 268/316/409/724 on 76 PA for the year.  That's a 104 OPS+.

I'm pretty comfortable handing him a starting position next year.  

#247 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,349 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 27 September 2022 - 11:52 AM

Yes, if they add a very high level position player somewhere. He'd also potentially have a relatively short leash if Cowser is knocking on the door and the team is a playoff contender.

They have players for all the spots that are at the very least acceptable, but I very much want to see a stud added somewhere. As discussed, that can be anywhere in the infield or corner OF. 

On a different note, I think Stowers' is showing that he should have been given more of an opportunity earlier. He's been given that opportunity largely after they fell back in the wildcard race, but he probably would have been helpful in keeping them more competitive during it.

• Mackus and DuffMan like this

#248 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,752 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 11:57 AM

COme on Mack. Youre asking for trouble. Now if we improve 1b and they want to platoon him and Hays I could go for that

#249 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 September 2022 - 12:02 PM

I think there is more to Stowers than we have seen so far.  He has not been bad, and I also think he is is just starting to settle in.

My concern remains defense.  He still seems to struggle tracking the baseball.  He often is sideways when he makes the catch or ducking down.  I still think it is the third deck level that he is adjusting too.

He made a nice play last night, quickly getting to a ball off the Monster and throwing a strike to Odor, who was too busy to actually get in position to tag JD Martinez.  Stowers played that perfectly and should have had an assist.

@mikeghg

#250 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,655 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 12:15 PM

COme on Mack. Youre asking for trouble. Now if we improve 1b and they want to platoon him and Hays I could go for that

There are a ton of different combos that would work.  Mweb is right that while Hays, Stowers, Mateo, Urias, Mountcastle, and Santander are all reasonable options for a position, we can't go into 2023 with all of them having an everyday spot.  You need to significantly upgrade one spot or substantially upgrade two spots.  I think where we upgrade primarily comes down to who we can get to come here.  But in terms of my confidence in various guys, Stowers isn't at the bottom of the list and he's played himself into being one of those passable options with upside for more.

#251 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,349 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 27 September 2022 - 12:18 PM

With all the guys that could be in the mix next year, I have no problem with some competition.

Again, add a stud somewhere. Then if Stowers and Hays are competing for playing time with Cowser coming up behind them, that's cool with me. Vavra and even Mountcastle can be competing for time with them between several positions, and your boy Santander too if he struggles some and/or other guys push him. 

They can also trade some players to make things more defined. That could be the way to go. If they keep most of these guys though, let's see all the position players other than backup catcher and McKenna assuming he's back in the mix next year unless/until a clear pecking order is formed. This also includes the minor leaguers that will hopefully be pushing for a call up if they continue to do what they've been doing.

#252 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,752 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 12:43 PM

We all agree there are different combos we could use but my expectation is Mateo is the SS, Santander is the RF/DH, and 2b is filled internally with Urias or one of the current AAA guys. That leaves 1b, LF, RF to fill. If you upgrade on both Mountcastle and Hays as everyday starters then IM fine handing Stowers a job but Im expecting at least one of those two guys to be penciled into the lineup

#253 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 September 2022 - 07:25 AM

Stowers has seen a RHP for 98.7% of his PAs according to B-R. Here's the percentage for every other LHB with any amount of playing time this year.

Vavra - 92.7%

Gunnar - 81.7%

Odor - 80.5%

Mullins - 70.3%

she/her

#254 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,655 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 07:29 AM

Stowers has seen a RHP for 98.7% of his PAs according to B-R. Here's the percentage for every other LHB with any amount of playing time this year.

Vavra - 92.7%

Gunnar - 81.7%

Odor - 80.5%

Mullins - 70.3%

This makes little sense to me as a strategy by the O's as Stowers has always hit LHP even better than RHP (982 OPS this year, 951 last year).  Protect Gunnar and Vavra, but Stowers should've been playing regularly against LHP. Especially when the alternative in the lineup was Ryan McKenna or Jesus Aguilar.

• BobPhelan and makoman like this

#255 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,673 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 September 2022 - 04:24 PM

Looks like Stowers has lost his rookie status (no longer on mlb.com top prospects).

There was a narrative that you could keep it after an Aug 15 (45 days) promotion based on total ABs  I thought that was wrong but didn't know if rules had changed.  He has less than 100 ABs.

#256 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,655 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 04:34 PM

There was a narrative that you could keep it after an Aug 15 (45 days) promotion based on total ABs  

If the 4 days in June count, then he's already hit 45 days.  If they don't, then he'll hit 45 on Sunday.

#257 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 04:44 PM

If the 4 days in June count, then he's already hit 45 days.  If they don't, then he'll hit 45 on Sunday.

Yeah today is 43 since he was brought up in August. I assumed the June days didn't really count because he didn't have to go on the 40 man, but I don't know, maybe they considered it active. Doesn't matter as he isn't going down.

I don't remember any "narrative" about this. Previously expanded roster time like September didn't count toward the 45 but that was changed this year.

#258 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,752 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 04:46 PM

Yeah today is 43 since he was brought up in August. I assumed the June days didn't really count because he didn't have to go on the 40 man, but I don't know, maybe they considered it active. Doesn't matter as he isn't going down.

I don't remember any "narrative" about this. Previously expanded roster time like September didn't count toward the 45 but that was changed this year.

Consider the source

#259 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,673 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 September 2022 - 05:30 PM

It's hard to keep up with some rule changes given COVID years and the things that come out in the new CBA.

The rule used to be that your 30 days after a 01 SEP promotion wouldn't count (even as "service") unless you hit the AB limit.  If you were promoted before 01 SEP, then all of your Service would count.  Lose rookie status was over 30(?) days on an active roster or 135 ABs (or 35 IP for pitchers).

Like I said, I don't know if/how the Rules changed....but it feels like the old rules are the current rules if Stowers lost his rookie status with less than 100 ABs...because the only other status thing he'd have is the time.

#260 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,655 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 05:43 PM

Mako cited the new rules. He has the time or soon will depending on if his 4-days in Toronto in June count or not. I doubt that MLB.com automatically scrubs guys from their top prospects lists as soon they hit 45 days / 130 AB or 50 IP, but maybe they do. If they do, then that implies that his days in June counted towards his service.

https://www.mlb.com/...kie-eligibility
  • makoman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=